View Single Post
Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 01-01-2018, 10:04 PM

The late afternoon light colored El’Saria’s sky in crimson streaks separated by the clearest blue skies. The largest of the two suns, Soraria, set first, taking with it the deeper red hues that made their sky look like a perpetual sunrise. When it set, the brief hours of almost sharp cut, pure light from Elaria signaled the come of night. It was a strange play of light to see the prettiest colors right before night despite the fainter quality of it. Elaria’s light could never compare to the sheer brightness of Soraria. Still, Braedek lived for the hours of evening light.

The tavern housed the usual fair who just got into town or those getting ready for the evening meal. It would fill more in the coming minutes, being the only place to get warm food outside of one’s own home. Set against the base of a range of mountains, the small town of Basick reveled in a certain degree of isolation. Although it served as the main pass-through for those going into the mountains or going east to the Faerie lands, neither trek was an easy one. So, for the most part, every day rolled by like the previous one—without incident.

However, as Braedek brought two mugs of ale to a group by the door, he found himself pausing. He couldn’t even tell what caught his attention yet, but something was off. Something perhaps about the quality of the light outside. Did it get lighter? More airy? Or was it a flicker in the familiar color? As the tavern’s owner turned toward the propped open door, the very sky let out a roar. White light flared out before quickly getting consumed by darkness. It did not turn to night because the entire world did not plunge into darkness, but shadows stretched into the tavern, startling all those present. It was as if the sky itself got consumed in darkness.

Nothing like this ever happened in Basick. Perhaps in any of El’Saria. Braedek lived enough years to know that so if he strong arms shook slightly as he threw the tavern’s doors shut, it was with good reason.

“Braedek?” a strong female voice called from the entrance to the rooms on the second floor of the tavern. A woman with tanned skin and flowing golden-brown hair stepped into view, her taut stomach muscles showing between the leather top across her breasts end the flowing skirt slit up one side. “What’s happening? I can sense something in the air.”

Shayla worked as a waitress most nights, but those of the town also knew her as a strong figure that could be relied on in both physical and mental endeavors. Braedek looked at her in relief though he didn’t fully relax either. “I’m sorry, I don’t know.” His eyes turned to address all those within the tavern, most of whom’s attention he already had. “Everyone, listen well. A darkness has come to our town. I know not what it is, but I have closed the doors. Is anyone willing to go out and investigate?” He swept his eyes over the crowd of beings that ranged from all types, searching all for their intent as he awaited responses.