View Single Post
Wrenji-chan
I belong in a Museum.

Penpal

Old 03-20-2013, 01:59 AM

"Of course, my dear Captain." Andrew said bowing. "If you would so kindly select a suitable person from your crew I would be more than pleased to train them. Though, I implore you to send someone that is at least, " he looked around the kitchen, taking in detail and doing calculations in his head. "Five feet tall, quick on their feet, willing to learn, listen and offer their opinions - but not in a crass way. Someone with manners, else I'll have to add them to my list. You know how I work dear."
The woman before him was not the child he remembered. She had grown like a weed before his ever watching eyes. Andrew never had children of his own, and at his age it was unlikely he would ever. Though, throughout his life he had gather “children” around him. He had indeed been to the far reaches of the universe. In his travels he had seen the travesties that these children were put through. He had personally funded the building of an orphanage in each of the systems he traveled. His salary as the head butler at the Williams estate came with many benefits.

His family had been in the service of the Williams for a few generations – six to be exact. Ever frugal, the family has amassed a rather large nest egg. Each generation added to the pool. Andrew, however, having no living descendants had chosen to invest his family’s riches. They had come to pay for themselves after the 25 years they had been opened. In fact, others had begun investing their money into the houses. After ten years, Andrew didn't have to put any of his personal money into them.
The orphanages, which Andrew preferred to call “Next Generation Housing”, not only housed children, it also put them through schooling. Barnabas had even donated money and time to the House on Beta Dodeca. The children there had taken a liking to the marine and his friends. Lukas was one a part-time teacher there – between missions. Padraig helped the children learn trades – he also enjoyed teaching the younger boys how to fight. Paddy thought Andrew didn't know, but Andrew knew every detail of the happenings at every house.

Each Houses’ staff was handpicked by Andrew himself. In later years, some of the children became staff in the Houses themselves. Andrew made sure the children in his care were well tended to. He was known simply as “Grandfather” – and its variations – by the children. Each of the staff was addressed to as “miss” or “mister” if they were unmarried and “aunt” or “uncle” if they were married. Andrew also let the children attend to their spiritual needs; the home didn't teach any specific religion, but allowed for the freedom of all known to man. Due to the rather large number of unfortunate children, the Houses slowly evolved from single building structures to entire campuses. The Houses were co-ed, but the sleeping quarters were separate buildings.

Andrew had improved the lives of many people across the universe. It was his greatest achievement. He had won a few intergalactic awards for his kindnesses. He, of course, didn’t lose track of the children that left his care. He knew most of them personally – he’s shared several holidays with several families over the years. While he cared for all of them equally, the trio –Barnabas, Lukas and Padraig – was the ones he cared most about. They were the closest people Andrew had in his life, as nearly all of his relatives had gone to their resting place in the stars.
He looked at the woman in front of him with soft, old eyes and smiled. “My dear, it will be done.”

The two marines looked at the boy. Well, truth be told, Paddy’s eyes were on the rear of a certain mechanic as she exited the room. Holmes cleared his throat. “Sir? Uh, s-s-sir?”

“Aye, Lad?” Paddy bent his head as the door closed, savoring the last few seconds before it clicked against the frame.
“Sir? Should we leave? Is-is the boy going to be safe in here?”

“Aye, lad. I believe the lad is perfectly at home right here.” Paddy smiled at Liam. “Ain’t cha boyo? Ye know yer way around this bark back to front I’d wager.”

Holmes tapped his foot and bit his lip. “Sir? Should I stay or go back to the meeting?”

“I’ll guess tha Barney won’t be needin’ tha meetin’ right yet lad. But if yer afraid of this lad, ye are welcome to leave.” With that, Holmes saluted and quickly left the room.

It wasn't that Holmes was afraid of the boy – far from it. He was afraid for the boy. A ship like this was no place for a boy that young, or that small. Holmes –only 23 years old himself and fresh from medical school – was uncertain if he himself should be on this voyage. He had an excellent mind, which is why his parents had pushed him into medical school at the delicate age of 13. Where he had excelled in books, knowledge and learning, he failed in all aspects socially. Just being in the same room as the mechanic had caused him to produce an unhealthy amount of sweat; fearing for the boy’s safety had kicked off his nervous twitches. He should have just stayed home. He was certain nothing good could come from this journey.