View Single Post
Rhys Luna Emweise
Nightstalker

Old 11-30-2009, 02:48 AM

I decided to go for an evening stroll.* I walked about three blocks when I felt it. The eyes boring into my back; I knew there was someone following me. But, me being me, I still took the back way home, cutting through dark, deserted alleys and walking along the old back streets where no one would be able to see or hear my pursuer, or me for that matter.

It had been getting dark when I’d decided to go out, and by the time I had left the tavern, it was past 9 o’clock, and it was dark. Not just that dim-lighted, twilight type dark, I mean, middle of the night, inky blackness type dark. The moon and stars were partially shrouded by clouds, from which snowflakes were falling lightly. The air held a distinct winter chill, though it was only just nearing the end of November. I pulled my cloak tighter about myself, in a weak attempt to block out the cold. When my mind had drifted to other thoughts than who was following me, he struck.

Now, you see, our lands are in the midst of a war. The rebels have been fighting for control for nearly a decade now. I was seven when the battles began, and am now sixteen. I am the middle child in my family, second of three sons to Dyllon Terrens and Serris Mallack. My brother, Sethlun, is three years my senior, and a soldier. He gives his old cloaks to me, James, and our younger brother, Terry, who is only 9 years old, so we can get around at night without being attacked by other soldiers. Seth knows but doesn’t care that I am a rebel, and would have chosen so also if he could have. Though we- my brother and I- are glad for him having been drafted as a soldier, for otherwise we would likely have been attacked numerous times for being rebels.

The one following me, one of the rebels, had mistaken me for a soldier on patrol, because of my cloak. My hood was up, so they couldn’t have seen the bright blue hair that would normally have shown me apart from the soldiers. He jumped down onto my back from the roof of a nearby house. When this happened, I backed into a wall with enough force to stun the poor boy, and he fell off of me. I took a few steps away before turning to face the rebel. I went a step or two closer, and knelt down in front of him, trying, in the dim light, to determine which of my friends it was who’d mistakenly attacked me.

He was quite a bit smaller than me, thinner, a few inches shorter. The bright purple eyes were enough of a give away as to the person’s identity, even if I hadn’t noticed his hair, which was the same shade as his eyes. “Ah shit…” I said, recognizing the boy as Kalen, my best and closest friend. He and I have been inseparable since around the age of two, when we’d first met and have been friends ever since. Though sometimes… sometimes I wish we could be more than just friends. Yes, I know, it’s not a very well accepted thing in most places, for one boy to be in love with another, especially here. But still… The eyes, the hair, both their natural color, I must admit, were so attractive. Kalen had many a fans, girls and guys alike, though the males in his fan club merely said to admire his courage and such. Though I’d seen the looks they often gave him, the ones of longing and lust. I knew what they were because I had often caught myself watching him with the very same expression on my own face, though not as noticeable, and only when we were alone, or no one else was paying attention.

“Kalen…” I called, cautiously trying to bring the other teen back to consciousness. “C’mon, Kalen, get your lazy arse up off the ground.” I said, calling his name a second time as I shook him by his shoulders slightly trying to wake him. Though as he woke, a sudden look of shock and fear passed over his face, seeing how the hood of the cloak was still up, and set half my face in shadow. I realized this just as he was about to call out, and moved on hand to cover his mouth, the other rising off his shoulder to push back the hood of my cloak. “Hush, Kae. It’s just me, no need to alert half the town.” I said, using his childhood nickname as he started to calm down as he realized it was just me.

“Damn, Jae… scare the living shit right out o’ me, why don’cha? I seriously thought you were one of the soldiers. Why do you insist on going around in that cloak whenever you’re not on patrol?” Kalen asked, using the name from our younger days as well.

“Sorry, Kae, y’know I didn’t mean to. And that is exactly why I wear it... If I can fool even you with this cloak, then it’ll work to keep the soldiers from thinking anything I do to be suspicious, and they’ll usually leave me alone. Besides, its really the only thing I’ve got of Seth’s- you know that.” I replied, helping my friend up. “Now, just what are you doing out so late? Aren’t you supposed to be home by now?”

“Yeah, I was just on my way there... I kinda got held up a little earlier by a couple of other soldiers.” At that mention of the other soldiers, he started shaking slightly. It was obvious to anyone who knew him as well as I did that something had him spooked, and that itself was a hard thing to do, get him that worked up.

“What happened, Kalen? You don’t shake like that unless somethin’ real bad’s happened...” I asked, looking him over for the first time that night, noticing his hair was messier than it normally was, and there were obvious signs that he’d been in a struggle. His jacket and shirt were torn, and there were scrapes and bruises on the skin that was visible- face, hands, and arms up to the elbows. I was sure that there were more injuries, as well, because of the faint splotches that looked an awful lot like blood soaking through the fabric.

He only turned his head and looked away, and I knew something serious had gone on that he didn’t want to talk about. Normally, with anyone else around, this behaviour wouldn’t have concerned me, since Kalen wasn’t one to talk about his defeats around anyone but me. But, it was just the two of us there, so it was obvious that something besides a fight had gone on.

“Kalen, you know you can tell me anything without fear of me saying anything to anyone else about it... Now, will you tell me what happened?” He only shook his head in the negative. It would take more than just my asking to get him to reveal what he’d been through that night. “Alright... Well, why don’t we head home? You can stay the night at my place, if you don’t feel like going home...” I offered, knowing his place was all the way on the other side of town, and he wouldn’t be able to make it in his current injured condition, while my place was only a couple blocks away.

“You sure your mother won’t care, James? I mean, I’ve been over a lot in the past few weeks...” Kalen replied. It was true, he had been over a lot. But my mom knew that it was because our place was closer to the rebel headquarters, and it was easier for him, and safer, especially since his folks were gone a lot of the time, and he would be the only one in the house, and very susceptible to attacks if the soldiers were to decide to raid the homes of suspected rebels. They wouldn’t check ours- a home which had produced two of the ruler’s best soldiers couldn’t ever have any positive connection with rebel forces.

“No, Kae. She knows it’s easier, and safer for you, than having to go home every night. Plus, the soldiers wouldn’t raid our place in a search for rebels, you know that. Now come on... it’s getting cold out, and I want to be home before the curfew comes into effect.” By eleven o’clock each night, everyone- aside from the soldiers, of course- had to be inside their houses for the night. For anyone who wan’t either inside or a soldier, it was the usual case of attack first, ask questions later if they were caught.

“Alright, let’s get going, then...” He said, taking hold of my arm and pulling me in the direction of my house. Strangely enough, we didn’t run into a single soldier on our way, which Kalen seemed rather thankful for.

When we arrived home, I called out to my mother, who was in the living room of our small, three bedroom house, that Kalen was staying over again, before leading him upstairs to my room. I suppose it was lucky that we still had the bunk beds set up, from when Seth still lived with us, because it made things that much easier and less awkward than both me and Kae having to share one bed.

I looked over at him again, and the blood splotches were much more prominent. “Kalen... You’re bleeding. Why don’t you let me tend to your wounds?” I asked, reaching towards him to help remove his shirt and jacket. It was then that he pulled away, quickly moving away from me, pulling his jacket around his lithe frame and wrapping his arms around himself.

“No!” He shouted. In his efforts to get away from me, he ran into the bed, falling onto the bottom bunk, nearly hitting his head on the frame of the top one. I watched as he scrambled to the far corner, then sat down on the opposite end.

“Kalen, what exactly happened earlier, between you and the soldiers?” I asked, watching him with only concern and curiosity, not other emotions showing on my face or in my actions. When he merely shook his head, I asked him again, reminding him that no matter what had happened, He’d always be my closest friend, and he’d never have to worry about me turning my back on him.

“I...I don’t want to talk about it right now, James, so just drop it, alright?” He asked, angrily.

“Alright, I’ll drop the topic if you’ll let me tend to your injuries.” I replied, pulling the first aid kit out from under my bed, opening it and taking out bandages, gauze, and a number of sterilizing wipes.

“Fine, just no more questions, alright?” He said, moving closer to me as he pulled off his jacket and sleeveless top, showing off his usually tanned chest, which was now covered in a wide assortment of cuts and bruises. “Geez, Kae...” I said, more to myself than anyone else.”This’ll sting, Kae...” I opened one of the sterilizing wipes, and started wiping the blood off his chest, revealing in more detail the cuts the blood had come from, and the numerous bruises which colored Kalen’s skin a mix of dark plum and yellow, already. “Damn, Kalen... When I find out which soldiers did this to you, They’re really gonna pay...” I said, carefully cleaning off the rest of his chest, and arms, before quickly bandaging his wounds. “Now, is it just the cuts and bruises, or d’you think there’s broken bones, too?” I asked, not having noticed any real damage to his ribs while bandaging him, but I couldn’t be too sure.

“No, James. That’s good, thanks... Now if you don’t mind, could I get some sleep?” He asked. Kalen looked so exhausted right then, it completely covered the look of fear that had been on his face since I’d gotten him into my room, alone. He shifted slightly, looking uncomfortable, and I briefly wondered if I’d maybe missed any injuries, or if there were some that went below the belt that he hadn’t told me about. But I’d promised him that I wouldn’t ask anymore questions, so I’d just leave it for now.

“Yeah, Kae... You want to change into some pants that would probably be more comfortable for you?” I asked, going over to my dresser and pulling out two pairs of pajama pants and tops, before going back to the bed and holding one out to my best friend, and secret crush. At his nervous look, I set the outfit down on the bed, and went towards the door. “If you’d rather, I can leave the room while you change, Kalen... I’ve gotta go wash up, anyways.” I said, only just then noticing the slight amounts of dried blood on my hands from having to clean Kalen’s injuries.

Kalen merely nodded, and as I left the room and shut the door, I saw him reach for the outfit. I went down the hall to the washroom, with my change of clothes, shut the bathroom door and stripped down after starting the water for a quick shower, letting it heat up before I got in. I let the hot water flow down my body, jumping slightly as it first hit my skin, tense until I got used to the temperature, then relaxing completely as I washed quickly, scrubbing my hair and body before rinsing. That done, I turned the water off and got out, drying off quickly before pulling on the pair of boxers I’d grabbed before I left my room, then the pajama pants, and tank top.

Once I was dressed, I went back to my room, knocking lightly at the door, before opening it slowly, seeing Kalen already curled up on the bottom bunk, the blankets pulled over him and wrapped tightly around his thin frame. I went over and sat on the edge of the bed, and placed my hand lightly on Kalen's shoulder, though the boy didn't stir- an obvious sign he was already asleep, or just faking it. Had he wanted me to know he were still awake, he would have turned to face me.

“'Night, Kae...” I said, leaning in and, tentatively, placed a light kiss to his forehead, brushing his bangs out of his face and pulling the blankets closer around him. I likely would have stayed up the rest of the night, watching him, had my body not been threatening to shut itself down on me. So I got up and climbed the ladder to the top bunk, laying under my own blankets, staring up through the skylight up at the moon and stars above, and watching the snow fall down upon us, and eventually I fell asleep like that, worrying about my best friend.