View Single Post
potatobae

Old 11-02-2016, 05:33 AM

I think it depends on what you want to get out of your art. Let me offer you a perspective from the pro-criticism camp:
When it comes to my art, I draw not just for myself, but for others as well. I draw because I want them to feel the emotions I'm trying to get across in my pictures while still offering something that is visually stimulating and aesthetically pleasing. In order to know that I'm achieving my goal, I need feedback. I need to know what they are feeling when they are looking at something, if they don't feel what I want them to feel, I need to evaluate what I did and how I can improve.
Also I'm a very technical person and take a technical approach to drawing. There's a method to my drawing and I try to make every decision deliberate. Sometimes the technique I use fails to convey what I want it to. I usually critique myself first (very harshly) and it never sees the light of day. I only post the stuff that I think may accomplish what I want it to.
Even though I welcome criticism it still hurts because I put so much time and energy into it. But to me it's valuable and important to my development as an artist. As a side note- when I say criticism, I don't mean someone just telling me whats wrong, but also how I can improve so that I can better achieve what I want with my art.
Also, I feel the worse thing that can happen as an artist is to be completely ignored :/ At least with (constructive) criticism someone cared enough to give you feedback.