View Single Post
HappyStarr
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-16-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakanatorz View Post
What do you have to say about Vectoring then?
Vectoring screenshot and such.
Let's not forget the famous DA post making itself look so terribly ignorant by saying that copying is good, even good artists did it , like Andy Warhol!

I agree with you on some points , but I differ on the ' I do think that its helpful for beginners to practice and get the hang of things.' since most of the time , when copying some one elses already pre-made artwork, you don't really understand what you're doing , you're only seeing the surface without any knowledge whatsoever about basic things like <anatomy, perspective, how the body bends,etc >

In my opinion none of those options are good and are a pure dishonour to the artist, referencing , on the other side ,is a completely different thing.
I really don't know a whole lot about vectoring, so I really can't comment much on it.

There's also a difference between mindless copying and copying with intent to learn. And usually, you can tell which people are actually trying to learn from what they copy because their drawings usually turn out better than those who look at a picture and go "oh hey, this looks cool I wanna draw it!" Of course, even then it takes time to really build it all up. It's a practice tool, like doing scales in music class. You memorize it and play it, but sometimes it might take a while for it to actually click. The brain may absorb the information you're gleaning subconsciously.

So in terms of copying/tracing, your drawings may start to improve over enough time with practice. But it is best that you supplement it with other learning materials. Go study some anatomy and take a couple art classes.

I don't encourage people to go copy and trace other people's work all the time, but if someone wants to use it as a learning tool in their own journals, then I don't see the problem. I do, in fact, have issues with people publishing and selling artwork that was not originally their own. That is when they cross over to actually being disrespectful.