View Single Post
SuperZombiePotatoe
Spudd

Penpal

Old 06-11-2014, 09:30 AM

Acteon Faige

"... have to acquaint yourself with the public. You are virtually unknown to them. And while that has it's advantages, it also has it's downfalls. Being the head of this family will demand respect, but people will never respect you if they do not know you."
They will never know me, thought Acteon as he stood, hands clasped behind his back, before his father's desk. It had been a long time since he'd been honored with Alastair Faige's undivided attention, but he atleast still remembered the etiquette. Stand up straight, do not fidget, do not talk back, pay attention. The urge to fidget was something that Erika constantly struggled with (she was only 12), but, thankfully, Acteon Faige was able control his restlessness to the point of apparent interest. It was only that damn twitch that gave him away occasionally.

He nodded his head solemnly and said,"Yes, Father. I understand."
Of course Acteon understood reasoning behind his father's "orders" and would do as he was told. But liking the fact that he would have significantly less time alone was an entirely different matter. The people you met at the the various public gatherings and parties were the same. Boring, oblivious sheep, the lot of them. But, what could one do? That was what having a chain did to most people. It gave them a sense of entitlement that, honestly, baffled Acteon. Only certain people were entitled to love? It didn't make much sense, but that was life now.

"Good," continued Alastar Faige, as he looked through the small pile of papers in front of him. "You will also be accompanying me to various meetings at the Military base, were we will meet with Officials and other Heads of prominent families. I'm sure that you can figure out the purpose of these meetings?"
Acteon spoke quickly to stop mask the twitch. "We'd be addressing the growing Rebel situation and exchanging valuable information about it."
The older man nodded sharply. "Myself and the others will be discussing it. You will be listening and observing. If your opinion is needed you will be asked. Other than that, you will remain silent."
Another order that would be easy to follow. Acteon had always been the listener, preferring to observe and speak only when necessary, which was not often. Before, Auberon had been the one to follow their father around and while Acteon's late brother usually spoke first and thought last, his opinions were always welcomed. He was after all one of the foremost supporters of chains. Acteon was the shadow, but he gladly sauntered in the background. No one stared at you.

"Yes, Father," he replied wishing for a meteor to come crashing through the ceiling. His wish wasn't granted, but atleast this encounter was at an end. His father picked up the pile of documents, straightened them and handed them to Acteon. "You will be attending your first meeting tomorrow. Read over these documents thoroughly. That will be all for now." And he waved his hand dismissively. Acteon turned, clutching the documents to his side, and made for the door.
"And Acteon," came the voice of his father, who now looked at him squarely in the face. "It would be prudent of you to carry a gun from now on. A sword is helpful, but gun practical. Go now and see this man Erik Winters at WINTERS TECH. He will see that you are well armed." Alaister Faige returned to his work.
"Yes, Father." This would take some getting used to.