Thread: SHORT STORIES!
View Single Post
DarkMelancholy
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-12-2007, 08:29 PM

Somewhere Beyond This Place

They always brought me back into a world that I had no intentions of staying. I was a scientist, developing a serum that would allow a person to slip between the world of reality and the world of fantasy. Now, I was my own patient, my own test subject to be observed for the effects of the drug.

The more one used the drug, the more the effects of the drug stayed. My colleagues kept trying to convince me that it was too dangerous for me to keep trying the serum, for they feared that I would permanently 'slip away'. But wasn't that the whole idea? I thought.

When I was younger, no more than ten years old, I envied the other children who laughed and played in the sunshine. I was a prisoner in my own home, forced to study until my brain was swelling with blood.

At night, I would cry. My parents heard nothing, or they didn't care, because they never checked up on me. I would lay in the dark, imagining of that place where I could be free. There would be ice cream, cartoons, and other children that I could go play with. But that place was not real, and I long to travel to that world, I had developed in my mind.

As the years went by, that world evolved.

I was constantly locked up, with books towering above me. My parents were determined to make me one of them, someone who was an outstanding, exceptional student, and wins Nobel Prizes. They were unforgiving of me, when I had entered a writing contest and surprisingly won. They thought it was a waste of time to write nonsense stories.

But the stories I wrote weren't nonsense. It was the only way I could touch that world inside my head; the world that had always been there by me, when I was down and depressed.

Through my studies I had found a research journal that hypothesized about the possibility of another world inside a person's mind. The journal purposed that was where coma patients reside, while their body recuperates.

I was determined to go through with this hypothesis and to make my dreams come true. Once I graduated from university, I went on to my masters and PhD to continue my research. I had worked endless hours, days and months to develop the serum I now held in my hand.

My colleagues were attempting to take the serum away, but I held them at bay, with a knife I had obtained from the kitchen.

"Now, please, Dr. Rochelle. Give me the serum and we'll give you Marietta," one of my colleagues, Benny, said, holding his hand out. Marietta was my doll given to me by my aunt, and taken away by my parents. What propelled him to give me my doll back, I had no idea.

I pointed the knife around the room, while they all were prepared to jump me when my guard was down. But I wouldn't let them have the chance. I injected the serum into my arm, and I felt the blood rush the drug throughout my body.

"Hurry! We got to get her to the emergency room. We've got--" I didn't hear what Benny said, as I drifted off. I felt him catch me though, but that was the last feeling I felt in the real world.

I hope you liked the story I wrote. This was actually one of a rare few (short) stories I have ever finished. xD