View Single Post
Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 12-03-2012, 07:47 AM

CHAPTER 7 (PART - B (conclusion to chapter 7)

The early morning was peaceful for Tintin. He put on his white button up shirt, brown jacket, and trousers. He was glad to get that sailor’s uniform off. He peeked back at the Captain who was sound asleep finally in a somewhat comfortable position and smiled closing the door quietly. Once he stepped out in the corridor he could hear someone else snoring. “I bet that’s Captain Chester” Tintin grinned as he climbed the steep small flight of stairs. Once Tintin climbed up onto the deck he could see the last of the stars twinkling in the twilight of the morning. The breeze was just a bit chilly, but nothing he wasn’t used to. The HM Customs were in full swing as new ships were arriving. Snowy followed Tintin around the small ship as they observed what was going on. “I think I will go make some tea—I know I saw a tin earlier in one of the cupboards” Tintin thought.

Tintin could hear the water from the washroom down below. He threw Snowy a couple of leftovers from the night before. “Thank you Tintin!” Snowy barked. “I hope you live a long time Snowy…” Tintin smiled. “I’ll do my best…what’s wrong with him?” Snowy thought as he contentedly ate. “I know times change, but why can’t everything just stay in these moments and never age? All of us happy as we are now, me, you, the captain…forever unchanging…” Tintin sipped his tea. “You’re getting too deep for me to understand Tintin…” Snowy finished his fish and jumped in Tintin’s lap to cheer him up. “How time flies Snowy…I wonder if Heaven is like that. You stay forever in the happier days unchanging always happy, never sad, no death so you never lose anyone dear to you…” Tintin petted Snowy. “Come on Tintin you’re making me sad now” Snowy whined. Tintin sat there with Snowy thinking of the past, the present, and the future. “If only…”

“If only what?” Captain Chester stood there leaning up against the wall. Tintin was startled unaware of how long Chester had been listening to him, “Um nothing…” Tintin was embarrassed that he spoke some of his inner most thoughts out loud, some of which he didn’t share with Haddock.

“You’re too young to be thinking like that” Chester finally came up grabbing the last of the hot water Tintin boiled. “So you heard me” Tintin replied sheepishly.

“Don’t be ashamed…I really didn’t start thinking like that until I was about thirty-five” Chester filled a mug from the cupboard and sat down with Tintin. Chester had changed as well wearing a short sleeved blue button up shirt with a pair of blue jeans and his black boots. He wore a similar hat that Haddock rarely went without. His red mustache looked as if it covered his mouth. For a quick moment he wondered what Haddock would look without his beard, but then decided it just wouldn’t be him without it. “Yea, reminded me of a time when I finally had to learn to accept life for what it was” Chester sipped looking across the bay through the windows. “What do you mean?” Tintin asked.

“Loss is inevitable my friend” Chester raised his eyebrows. “If you live to be as old as myself or Haddock you will see, friends and family pass on” Chester pointed out. “I don’t like thinking about it…” Tintin nodded.
“Hasn’t Haddock ever had this chat with you?” Chester asked blatantly. “Well, not like this…” Tintin answered absorbing what Chester had just said.

“Listen mate, I’m not trying to upset you, I’m sure you’re smart enough to realize all of this right?” Chester stared Tintin eye to eye. “Of course” Tintin shook his head.
The reality of the situation Tintin realized was Haddock did as much as he could to shelter Tintin from a lot of ugliness in the world after things had settled down and they began living a quiet life at Marlinspike Hall.

“I can understand why Haddock took a liking to you… well I need to move the boat closer to port and find somewhere suitable to park and radio for the boat tender to come take us to shore” Chester smiled finishing his tea patting him on the back as he went to the bridge. “Well Snowy, let’s go wake the others” Tintin stood up as he finished his tea.

Tintin didn’t have a hard time waking Enzo as he was already awake dressed similar to Chester only with a cream colored shirt, but he did have to shake Haddock a bit to get him stirring. “Come on Archibald Haddock! The tenders will be here soon!” Tintin pushed. Haddock’s eyes opened as Tintin was about to walk away but quickly grabbed Tintin’s wrists with both of his hands. “Where do you think you’re going?” Haddock smiled already being awake lying there. The boat began to slow down as voices could be heard outside, “I guess I better get ready” he said pulling Tintin to him for a quick pop kiss then lettin him go. "Come on captain! Your beard tickles!" Tintin smiled. “Tell Chester I’ll be up there in a few minutes” Haddock said as Tintin shook his head laughing.

Chester was busy positioning the boat to anchor it as there were many boats with many different national flags flying on various places on each ship respectively. Enzo was busy helping Chester anchor the ship down as the boat tender was waiting for them. Haddock finally emerged from below with both his and Tintin’s luggage.

“Tintin, aren’t you forgetting someone?” Haddock put the luggage down handing him his sailor’s sack. “Yea right, he said quickly returning to the common area to collect Snowy. “Come on Snowy, one more time just in case HM Customs walks by us” Tintin said opening the sack with a small hole Snowy could poke his nose out to breathe.

Once everything was secured they boarded the small motored tender boat. Chester had offered the man money but he just nodded and refused to take any from him. “I got a cab waiting on us” Chester pointed as they walked down the dock. “Are you sure you want us coming with you to your sister’s” Haddock whispered to Chester. “What are you talking about?!” Chester gave Haddock a strange look.
“Well I don’t want to put any of your family in danger, me, Tintin, and Snowy can make other arrangements” Haddock said seriously.
“And I said ‘don’t worry about it’ you know how crazy my family can be if they want. Mary Ann still lives out in the country outside Colchester in that cozy cottage. Her kids have moved out and are both married now, so she’ll have room” Chester explained thoughtfully.

“Besides, I called her a couple days ago, so she and her husband are both expecting us all” Chester added.
“You’re a true friend Chester!” Haddock hugged him. “Don’t mention it mate” Chester hugged him back.
“Now get in that cab or we’re going to miss breakfast!” Chester scolded. The cab was a bit bigger thankfully than the one they rode in back in Antwerp.

“Here, I’ll take your luggage” the cab driver said taking their suitcases putting them in the trunk. “I’ll carry the bag on my lap” Tintin waved him away as he wanted to put ‘Snowy’ in the trunk.

“You heard ‘em landlubbers, in the cab!” Haddock ordered. “…on the double!” Chester added.

“Aye! Aye! Captain!” Tintin and Enzo saluted getting in as Chester sat up front and Haddock in the back with Tintin and Enzo. “Don’t worry I know where Mary Ann lives” the cab driver informed him. “Oh, swell! Let’s get going then!” Chester smiled as they disappeared through the waking harbor town. They watched as the sun began to rise into the sky and shine down upon them with a bounty of cheer revealing the bright green fields.

Last edited by Kole_Locke; 12-14-2012 at 05:57 PM..