View Single Post
Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 12-11-2012, 04:57 AM

CHAPTER 10 (PART - A)

Tintin could feel his arms and back ache as the evening progressed. Enzo, Captain Haddock, Captain Chester, and Chester’s family were all busy drinking and socializing happily; however, Tintin felt really exhausted. He couldn’t believe both of the captains had the vitality to stay up chattering away while putting mugs of ale down.

Tintin knew that when Bob brought a keg of ale in from the garage that he’d made, there was going to be drinking that night. Tintin made a long face and turned to go upstairs, but Chester saw him and discreetly walked away to check on him. Haddock, like the others, was too busy listening to Bob sharing one of his perilous tales when Nathan had just started working on their boat during a bad storm.

“Are you ok?” Chester tapped Tintin on the shoulder.
“Ouch! Yes…I’ll be fine…I just need some rest if we are going to work like that again tomorrow” Tintin explained. The strong stench of ale wafted from Chester’s mouth. Tintin backed away just a little.

“Yea I’m starting to get drunk…” Chester sighed. “Listen, I’ll be there to dig Haddock out if he puts his foot in his mouth…you know what I’m talking about” Chester said secretively.

“Captain Chester, I don’t know how to thank you for all you are doing for us, I feel like the old man and you and Haddock are the youth” Tintin laughed as he gave Chester an unexpected hug.

It was a little awkward for Chester because he was afraid Haddock would think something else if he walked up and saw them in the stairwell; but then he put one strong arm around Tintin and smiled. “Haddock is a lucky man!” Chester replied.
"You think so?" Tintin answered surprised by Captain Chester's candidness.
“Of course, Haddock and I go a long time back kid, maybe one day we will tell you all of our tales” he laughed returning back downstairs.
“I would love to hear them all” Tintin nodded.

Tintin stopped to look at his self in the mirror. He was wearing light blue pajama pants and shirt that seemed to still be a little big on him. Tintin made an assertive masculine look at his reflection which satisfied him even if he was a man with a small frame. He managed to build some toned muscle, but he still appeared unchanged much by time.

“I got to stay in good spirits! After all, I’m ‘Action Man’!” he joked to his self.

He suddenly heard the pitter patter of small feet coming up the stairs, “Snowy!” he smiled happy to see his best friend. “Sorry Tintin, making new friends” Snowy barked.
“I’m going to bed Snowy, you can join me too!” he smiled walking down the hallway opening the door to the room. Tintin shuddered as the hinges creaked loudly with the slightest of movements.

“We’ll hear the captain when he staggers up here tonight” Tintin joked.
“Hopefully he won’t do that horrible snoring tonight” Snowy whined.
Tintin shut the door behind him as snowy jumped on his little spot on the daybed curling up. Tintin closed the door and got on his side hiding underneath the sheets and the soft green quilt. It wasn’t long before sleep overtook him.

XXXXXXXXX

Tintin sat up lying on the ground in a dense forest. He could see the darkened sky behind the many branches above and around him. He continued to look around but couldn’t see far as a fog seemed to roll in the area.

A young boy stood in front of him with blond hair and green eyes wearing a long blue night shirt that covered just below his knees. “Come on, they’ll find us, we got to keep moving!” He looked anxiously around.

Tintin stood up and was the exact same height as he was, wearing the same Sunday outfit he wore during their last encounter. Tintin realized he was a child again. The other boy grabbed his wrist and began to lead him quickly through a network of bushes and briars. Tintin could hear dogs and men’s voices.

“They’re coming!” the boy cried. Tintin kept up as quickly as he could. The briars were cutting up his Sunday looking jacket and the boy leading him had scrapes and cuts all over as his night shirt was torn in many different places too. “They won’t find our safe place, we just got to make it there!” the boy gasped for air as they kept running.

Suddenly the ground gave way and they both fell into an old sink hole as they both hit the bottom with a hard thud. “We got to climb out of here before they find us!” the boy said climbing roots and vines sticking out of the ground.

Tintin followed his same route climbing out of the hole desperately trying to get out. When he got out he saw two men and one had the other boy struggling to get free. “We’re not going to hurt you boy” one man said walking closer to him. Tintin couldn’t see the man’s face as if some shadow prevented it. The other boy bit the other guy’s hand, “Run brother! Run! Don't let them get you!” he screamed. Tintin turned to run but almost fell back into the sink hole when someone scooped him up. “No! Let me go!” Tintin cried.

“Tintin! Tintin!” a familiar voice said shaking him. Tintin woke with a sweaty start. Captain Haddock had him in his arms.
“Captain? What’s going on?” he asked confused.
“You were about to jump off the bed again” Haddock said putting him back on the bed already dressed in his usual beige pajama set.
“What were you dreaming about boy?” Haddock asked him with much concern.
“I dreamed I was a little boy again. I was running away from some bad men in the woods with another boy who kept calling me brother…” Tintin recalled.

Haddock cocked an eyebrow as he locked the door and got in bed cutting off the lamp.
“Brother you say? Did they get you?” he asked as he got under the covers.
“Yes they got us both…” Tintin kept trying to remember if there was more about the dream but couldn’t. He just lied there silently in deep thought.

Haddock wrapped his strong hairy arms around Tintin spooning with him under the covers, “Don’t worry my little angel, if anyone dare tries to harm or take you from me I’ll turn into the devil himself…and they don’t want to see that” Haddock whispered.
Tintin put one of his hands on Haddock’s, “Thank you captain! I love you too” Tintin replied.

Before he could finish his sentence Haddock was already lightly snoring. Tintin felt better in the safety of Haddock’s arms, but that nagging in his head continued and each time he dreamed it seemed that the dreams increasingly became more vivid. “They’ll never find our safe place” Tintin thought just before he drifted back to sleep.

The next morning felt just like being at Marlinspike Hall. When he came downstairs the smell of breakfast brought a smile to his face. Mary Ann was bustling around the kitchen just as Alyssa came back inside the house with a small basket full of eggs. Haddock and Chester were sitting on the sofa smoking their pipes, while Enzo sat watching the television on a nicely upholstered chair near the fireplace.

“Well lookie who got up” Mary Ann smiled.
“Morning Mary Ann, how are you?” Tintin said still stretching his muscles and yawning.
“Fine, nothing like a good night’s rest to put you right,” Mary Ann laughed. “We should have breakfast ready in ten minutes, why don’t you sit for a moment and get your thoughts straight,” Mary Ann suggested.

Tintin sat down as Enzo sat with his eyes closed facing the television. Tintin guessed with the hard work and perhaps the drinking that last night put him over the edge.
“Morning landlubber!” Haddock smiled.
“Decided to join us eh?” Chester commented as Tintin sat on the love seat adjacent from them.
“It’s hard to sleep when you have the wonderful smell of breakfast filling your room” Tintin said taking a whiff of the air. Snowy was already in the kitchen following Mary Ann around just waiting for her to drop a treat for him.
“Are you ready for another hard day of work?” Haddock asked enthusiastically.
“I guess…” Tintin sighed still feeling just a bit sore.
“Come on! Where’s your sense of adventure?” Haddock joked. Everyone erupted in laughter by the sofa.
“I know, all of those moles and other perilous creatures we may encounter…” Tintin played along.

“Wait a moment” Alyssa interjected walking over. “I’m afraid I need to borrow your lad” Alyssa continued looking at Haddock. Chester and Haddock quickly gave each other a startled glance but quickly recovered.

“Sure, that’s fine, isn’t your mom going with you?” Haddock asked.
“No, she asked me to take the car and run the daily errands at the farmer’s market. She has to get started on the laundry, so if you have anything that needs washed I suggest you see her after breakfast” Alyssa explained smiling coyly at Haddock then Chester.

Chester locked gazes with her for a moment. Her aqua eyes were full of intrigue, but her uncle Chester’s grey eyes could hide mountains and she realized that. Chester whispered into Haddock's ear as his eyes seem to dart to Tintin then to Alyssa.
“Go straight to town and don't dawdle anywhere else, got it?" Chester sounded adamant
"You two hurry back now you hear?” Haddock replied seriously.

“Breakfast is ready folks!” Mary Ann announced.

Enzo turned the television off as they sat at the breakfast table with plates, utensils, another full English breakfast, and glasses filled with orange juice waiting for them.
“So this is what it feels like to have a full family…” Tintin mused quietly to his self.
“If anyone needs anything washed, now’s the time to speak up” Mary Ann mentioned as they ate.
“I think we all have something that could be washed,” Chester commented.
“Well gather your things up and put them in the basket I sat out in the hallway,” Mary Ann instructed.
“Uncle Frederick, how much longer do you intend to stay?” Alyssa asked.
“Are you trying to get rid of me that quickly” Chester joked.
“No! Not at all, as a matter of fact, I was hoping you planned on staying awhile,” Alyssa smiled.

“Alas, we set sail Thursday, my daughter will be expecting me. That gives me a few days with her and her family, then we must return back to Antwerp for work by no later than Tuesday,” Chester said figuring out his schedule.
“You do mean to go by train don’t you?” Mary Ann asked with some concern.
“It depends, if Haddock and Tintin wish to come along, we will take the Shooting Star if the choose to do so,” Chester answered.
“It’ll be a long ride” Mary Ann disapproved.
“I’ve sailed around the world before, so cruising around to Glasgow would be a cake walk” Chester pointed out.

“If me and Tintin go with him you’ve got nothing to fear” Haddock put his two cents in. “We’re among the best sailors you’ll find in this part of the western world” he bragged.

“Well, you just check the weather and make sure you don’t be taking any petty risks” Mary Ann warned. She realized she wouldn’t feel as bad if Haddock was with him having sailed out with the two a couple of times in the past noting their skills as sailors.
“Don’t forget about me,” Enzo finally spoke up.
“You’re still a child,” Mary Ann dismissed him jokingly.
“Oi! He’s still a good sailor! He’ll make a fine one someday,” Chester defended him giving Enzo a good slap on the back.
“Easy now” Enzo grinned.
“Let’s go Tintin, so we can hurry and get back” Alyssa prompted standing up after she had finished eating.
“Wait!” Haddock reached into his pocket pulling out his wallet. He handed Alyssa a five pound note and her eyes widened looking at him and the note.
“You went to the bank already?” Tintin asked not remembering Haddock even leaving the house.

“No whippersnapper, I brought it from home thinking we may come here” Haddock smiled. “If you don’t mind, pick me up some tobacco and a bottle of whiskey please; and Tintin, you know the brand I like. Fill up your mom’s gas tank Alyssa,” Haddock smiled.

“You don’t need any more whisky Captain, you still got a bottle or two left don’t you?” Tintin asked.

“All gone, now you’ll get me whiskey or else!” Haddock pointed closing one eye at him. “Now hurry back, we got work to do” Haddock instructed.
“Would you like to come with us Enzo?” Tintin offered.

Enzo glanced at Captain Chester curiously, “You can go if you want, but remember, you’re still being paid so hurry back” Chester nodded.
“Yes sir!” Enzo’s spirit soared.
“Captain can you get my dirty clothes too when you get yours” Tintin reminded.
“Mine too” Enzo smiled looking at Chester.
“Go on, both of you!” Chester laughed.
“Well let’s be off then!” Alyssa said leading them out to the car.

Last edited by Kole_Locke; 12-19-2012 at 01:36 AM..