View Single Post
sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 01-18-2014, 06:22 PM

"Oh? And why did you chose exactly that tree, if I may ask?" she inquired, sounding serious. From one side, she was just trying to make a conversation as she had been taught, from other - she wanted to understand what exactly was going on in this man's mind. He could rage, be rude and ignorant, but wished to be knight and refused awards for his good deeds... Mae was used to understanding the motivations and mindset of those she met, usually it was nothing very complex - greed, wanting to be loved, wishing to be free. Perhaps the last one was the one that led Saith (he had hinted at that), mixed with pride. Not that it really mattered, soon she'd leave and when she'd return, they would probably never see each other again, maybe except during one of the festivals in city she'd catch a glimpse of strange hunter. That is, if he ever came to see them.

At the flick she tensed slightly, not because it hurt, but because it was unexpected. If anything, physical contact or hardships, came predicted, she dealt with them much easier than something that happened suddenly. Although the elf wouldn't admit it, her life was all about stability and control. But now it had been derailed and she was spiraling into the unknown. Still, it would be unlike her to think that it couldn't be brought back on the right road. Perhaps she and Mage were making it out to be worse than it was.

Mae shifted, so she could look at him, waiting for an answer. He had an uneasy expression in his eyes that were bright and blue, similar to her own, although the shade was different. What was he thinking about? And then, he took her hand and her eyes slightly widened as the conversation suddenly took off in completely different direction. She considered pulling away as she looked down to their joined hands, but then decided against it. There was no one who dared or would like to be so familiar with her, but there was something comforting in the gesture and she squeezed his fingers lightly. However, wasn't this what couples did - sat holding hands in moonlit garden? What a silly thought. Priestess looked at his face again - Saith seemed serious about what he was saying.

He even knelt in front of her, still holding her hand, as if he was swearing to her something more than tagging along on her journey and it felt kind of... Special, and she wanted to believe him he truly meant it all, without any suspicion or doubt for just this moment. And so, she didn't tell Saith that she knew most of those things, too, or ask him if his true reason for so stubbornly wanting to come along really was just thirst of adventure (which actually made more sense than his previous claim that it was due to her stupid guards). Later, when remembering this moment, she'd blame being tired for this sway of emotions. Especially since he wasn't promising to protect her, only that he'd come along and she'd have little use for her guards.

When the drow released her hand and stood up, Mae looked up for a moment, studying his features. He looked a form made of shadows and moonlight, beautiful and distant. Such a strange idea, really. He was far too talkative and temperamental to be such a ethereal being. Then with a defeated sigh, woman stood up. "If you are coming with or without my blessing, then it is better I give it, is it not?" she said and rose her hand up, fingertips touching his forehead lightly, tracing pattern of a circle. Warmth spread from that spot throughout his body, not even heat, just cozy, warm feeling as she murmured words of 'blessing': "May your luck always walk one step ahead of you, giving you opportunities and keeping you from harm, Saith," then in her thoughts she continued, "May our paths, now crossed by Fate, never part on bad terms." It was just a taught ritual, not even true magic, but the woman believed a good wish that came from heart also held some power in its own way.

Then, she withdrew and stepped back. Priestess once more had taken a step sideways of her usual path and hurriedly sought way to get back on it, finding it in retreat. "We depart two hours after sunrise. I suggest you speak with stable master for a horse before that. Good night, Saith." And with that, Mae went towards temple, barely making any sound - apparently she had learned the art of sneaking, too, and it had become part of her without even trying.

Next morning, she'd do one final sunrise prayer at the temple and then depart. She smiled and hugged her few friends, waved farewells and generally acted as if this was just a small trip for relaxation instead of a serious task, so no one would worry as much as she did. Then again, there worrying was generally pointless in this elf's opinion - it never solved anything, only made one's heart heavy and mind troubled, lowering caution. That's what she told herself and finally, when temple disappeared from sight, the grip on her stomach loosened.

She and Geron rode on in silence, both preoccupied with their own thoughts. Besides, neither were of the chatty kind. Their mutual respect was partially based on that they never poked nose in the other's feelings uncalled. They were kind-of-friends, as much as you could be with someone who was your boss and had seen you grow up and felt comfortable in each other's company even in silence, not needing to fill it with chatter.

Hopefully, Saith had not been late for their departure, or it certainly would tick Mae off. She was actually now kind of annoyed at the concept of him along in general, but realized that without trapping him, there was little she could do to make sure he would not follow. And there was no need to directly do something that could make him hostile towards her. Surely, along the path, she'd find a reason to send him home, or he'd be distracted by some skirt to chase, as most men were, or some other task - perhaps a great hunt. But then again, if she put aside her suspicious nature, it wasn't bad to have him along.

Everything continued peacefully until the group came to the edge of cliff, marking start of large, marred 'split' in the ground - when one looked down, they could see small stream running between the rocks. It started at the seaside and passed right by the forest they had lost the thief in, deep into land. It was possible to get around it, but it would take up a whole day or more, setting them away from needed road. Normally, everyone used bridge to cross the chasm and that's where the trio was heading to now, too. On one side, there was cliff, on other - forest.

But when they came to the bridge, they were in for nasty surprise. Someone - or something - had damaged the bridge - it was missing some boards and looked unstable. Mae couldn't recall if it was so when she caught Saith, her attention had been too focused on him then, but it certainly was so now, and they had to figure a way to cross it. It didn't look safe for multiple people to be on at the same time, not even talking about riding across. "We should get to the other side one by one. I don't know if horses will want to, though. I know Raenn will come to me, but..." Apparently, that was name of her horse. Priestess had bought her on a whim from seller that was hitting the barely tamed creature that was too wild and proud to allow just anyone ride her. This kindness then was rewarded for reluctant permission to saddle her and eventually, led to deep bond.

"I should cross first," priestess suggested, looking to her companions. She didn't want the heavier man, Geron, going first and sending Saith instead could seem like she was wishing he'd put himself in danger.

Laeth chuckled slightly at the creature's actions, but didn't say anything. However, when it appeared again, dragging the man along, it earned a raised eyebrow from woman. Just how much strength did this animal have? Was it even an animal? She had never seen anything like it. Perhaps it was something from Island... Then again, Mainland had curious beasts, too, never seen by anyone living here.

She let them pass, she had nowhere to rush, really, and even stopped before entering village to put on shoes and straighten her clothes, get some more sand off. Her stomach grumbled slightly, the apple wasn't enough to satisfy her hunger, and woman moved towards the small market. Unfortunately, the pink one was there, too. Not paying him any attention, she bargained with a woman over some bread when someone poked her in back. Spinning on her heel, she stared down at the man.

To talk to him in English or not? The thought of acting as if she didn't know English crossed her mind and she figured she'd stick with it. After all, that's all he could provide - short entertainment. But she wasn't interested in paying for his food, the guy could decide to follow her then and that was last thing she wanted. Saleswoman looked at strange boy and then to Marwo. "Do you know him? Why doesn't he talk?" she asked, curious. "No, I don't know him, must have picked me because I look like I have money. Maybe he's mute?" Laeth shrugged and saw as pity entered woman's eyes. "Boy, do you hear me? Are you mute? Nod if yes," she spoke kindly to Pinkie as she had decided to nickname him (the word in English, that meant small finger to her knowledge and held his hair color in it).

If he nodded and didn't speak she'd give him some bread and cheese. Marwo smirked and payed for her own food, wondering if he would break the accidentally assumed character by spurting thanks in English. Now that could be funny to watch and instead of disappearing in streets, she just stepped back and looked over the marketplace, as if looking for something else to buy.

~ p o p p e t ♥, Queen_Andais, star2000shadow, Eastriel are absolutely amazing ~