View Single Post
Xavirne
Plagg, claws out!
Send a message via AIM to Xavirne Send a message via MSN to Xavirne Send a message via Yahoo to Xavirne

Old 01-30-2014, 07:41 PM

They could have rode on much longer. Probably not at the usual pace, but enough that they could make it to the next down by night. Too bad the priestess had other plans. Had Saith not remained facing backwards, neither would have noticed that she fell behind. Seeing her horse stop and find shade beside a tree, Saith lightly tapped the knight's shoulder. "Looks like our famed warrior has finally learned why she's not fit for our lifestyle." Ruine turned around so Kevlar could see for himself. "I almost feel bad for her. But we both warned her not to stay and play." A light headbutt was exchanged between the two men. "Suppose we ought to go save her.
"
Saith shook his head. "Must we? She's so capable of healing and fighting and ruling and... yeah, I suppose you're right." His blue eyes stared at the ground. It felt wrong to mock her. "I can't help but feel a tad guilty." Kev finished his statement. "I know. She's trying. But I do wish she would let us do our job and worry about herself." An agreeing nod came from Saith. "And let's be real, she's not that good with a bow." A laugh followed. "You really are selfish, aren't you?" Elbowing the drow, the two trotted back to aid their fallen lady.

"And here I was going to mock about taking an arrow to the knee. I suppose it would be rude of me," sliding off Ruine, the knight moved beside the priestess. He gingerly helped quench her thirst and gave the remaining water to Saith to use on her wound. Saith seemed to be taking the lead on this injury, almost as if he had to deal with this sort of thing before.

Reaching into his pouch, he pulled out a tool that looked similar to a wire cutter. He raised his hand to the priestess, stopping her from creating an incision. "Sometimes you're too reckless," he stately bluntly. Using the tool, he cut off the back end of the arrow. With the fletching end falling to the ground, he could carefully tug out the arrow. Very carefully, he pull it through the wound until it came out the other side. "Cutting it out is all fine and dandy, but I've had my fair share of arrow injuries. I'm not overly fond of creating more damage. I discovered this tool a few months ago." He raised the item to his lips and blew on it lightly, which caused a small cloud of smoke to raise. Saith noticed a look in her eyes and went with his hunch. "If you squeeze the handles, it heats the cutter. You want it hot so it melts the arrow and prevents splintering." Retrieving both ends of the arrow, he placed them in Mae's lap. "See how the cut ends look like they've been melted?"

Kevlar had sent those could minutes scouting the nearby forest for berries and food and, to his luck, he happened upon some eggs and apples. Building a small fire, he placed the eggs on a flat rock and let them sizzle over the fire, once it was more than just smoke and little, licking flames. Within no time, the eggs were cooked. Sliding the sunny-side-up eggs onto a new rock, he passed a plate to each of them. Each of their rock plates contained two medium sized eggs and one apple. Of course, the horses received three apples each for their valiant efforts.

Crossing his legs like a pretzel, the brunette human offered his new comrades a smile. "Well, we've made it this far. Whatever's to come, we'll work through it. Just," his eyes peeked at Mae, "just don't get too heroic on us. Let the deadly fights to your scout and knight, okay?" He knew he couldn't argue with her. She would do what she wanted, but he would at least try to get her to understand their position. "You're selflessness could get us killed. You are the reason we're here, after all."

"No matter what, you have to live," Saith chided. "We don't.

Picking up where the drow left off, Kev added, "So don't ever come back for us. You need to push forward. Fate rides in your hands, not ours." She could believe what she wanted, but the Sun Priestess was what these two were riding on. There was clearly something afoot and the world needed her more than ever. It was up to human and drow to make sure Mae could finish whatever duty she chased. Their lives, of course, falling below hers. But that was the life both Kev and Saith chose. It was the one thing in life they could really own and do.