View Single Post
sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 01-30-2014, 08:32 PM

This was exactly why she hated to be helpless. Any person immediately swooped in on her, using chance to mock her for her weakness and failures. Big world didn't tolerate woman who fell, woman who cried. She had lived a sheltered life for most of her existence, even though it had not been exactly kind to her always... But she hadn't been blessed with that for all her years. She did know what happened to weak ones - they were chained to wall, beaten and humiliated. And she knew that look in the eyes of both men when they arrived. Mae's jaw clenched. Maybe she shouldn't have called for them after all.

However, since they were here, she let them take over. At Saith's scolding, she scowled, but didn't say anything. She didn't whine at pain either, letting him do what he found to be correct, just her hands balled into fists by her side. Priestess didn't even look away, although her eyes widened slightly at realization the tool was hot. Still, all objections and complaints were kept to herself and instead of going to heal the wound right away, she opted for bandaging it lightly and eating together with both men. At least her leg wasn't exposed so awkwardly anymore and she thanked both Saith and Kevlar for their valor in battle and help now.

She nibbled on the apple, observing human and drow. What a misfit company they had ended up being. And of course, Saith just had to bring up that lecture again. Very well then, she had some things to say, too. Mae smiled sweetly, and only slightly narrowed eyes gave away hints of annoyance - or perhaps firmness in belief. "Alright then, let us imagine such a scenario: in one battle, Saith is left to fight to his death so I and Kevlar can flee. Quite like it could have went tonight. Then, week or two later, Kevlar sacrifices himself for my sake. Where does it leave me? Hmm," she paused, as if pondering, "Ah, that's right - completely alone. And during next dangerous situation, my chances to survive are just one third of what they could have been if both of you were with me."

Her expression turned serious, even a little grim. "I do not leave my people behind. I am just as important or replaceable as them and without them, I am weakened. I have learned to take care of myself, because I had no other choice, but I am not invincible and I realize that." Admitting this wasn't pleasant, she was too proud for it to be. Still, it would be foolish to claim she couldn't be defeated. "You two are more my strength than weakness. Is that clear?" Lacrimae looked at both of them expectantly and then shook her head. "I suppose asking of you to accept it right now is too big a request, but do keep it in mind. I am not leading an army where it's normal for soldiers to fall in battle. It is just us three."

She shrugged then, a little helplessly as if there was not much she could change about what she was going to say next. "I do not know how to sit back with hands in my lap, but I can try not to take 'front lines', if you would like. I cannot promise I will manage to, however." Finally, small smile returned to her face as she concluded: "I suppose it is time I focus on the defensive side of my magic, hm? And you two think more about surviving, not how to die nobly so I would have to make a song about you. I would much rather hear one where we all survive in the end." Of course, her speech went by their ears for the most part and the woman thought that they really were a bit of ungrateful 'buggers'. Even a good general fought for each of his men, but here they wanted to play selfless sacrifices.

Then, she slowly finished her meal, listening to whatever they had to say and not going into any more argues as she found them fruitless and felt too tired to get them 'think correctly'. Healing wound so she'd ride easier and not have to shamefully limp around was more important. Elf explained that if she'd fall asleep, they should wake her in few hours so they can continue on their way - too much time had already been wasted. Although it was quite the opposite as they had raced through woods and slept such a short time. But it wouldn't be Mae if she stayed still and relaxed when she thought time was of essence.

As expected, she did indeed fall limply back against tree, in rather deep sleep, after partially healing the wound. Priestess needed the rest anyways, though, having spent far too much energy than she was used to that night. Sunlight shone through leaves here and there, playing in her hair and on face and woman smiled faintly, light adding to her 'recharge'.

After she was woken, Mae seemed to feel a whole lot better and quickly prepared to leave. Raenn was obviously displeased, but priestess managed to assure her that she would be able to rest for longer time later on. And so, they were again on their way. Hopefully, they would get to spend that night in a safe inn, with good stables for their horses.

Last edited by sadrain; 01-30-2014 at 08:41 PM..