Projectwolfie
Dr. Livingstone, I presume?

Old 04-28-2012, 05:46 PM

So I've been running a music blog lately, and I'm about to make my first "riffing" article. I already have a very well deserved candidate chosen for this time around, as well as a few others... but I was wondering: what should I add for later? I'm looking for recent bands/albums that don't really deserve the attention they get, significantly worse than their previous attempts, things like that.

Oh, and nothing like Rebecca Black or Justin Bieber. I want this to be more than a bandwagon thing, and besides that's a little too easy.

Last edited by Projectwolfie; 04-28-2012 at 07:29 PM..

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 04-28-2012, 05:50 PM

Pretty much any top 40 artist is an easy target.

I would especially recommend Nickelback or Linkin Park.

Or the science-incompetent ICP. :ninja:

Projectwolfie

Old 04-28-2012, 05:52 PM

Haha, I already have the upcoming Linkin Park because I actually used to listen to the first three albums a lot when I was younger, and ICP just to see if they ever beat magnets... I also believe they both have new albums incoming. XD

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 04-28-2012, 05:54 PM

I loved Linkin Park's first three albums. When they did that compilation with Jay-Z though... I just had to walk away. xD

RoadToGallifrey
When life gives you melons, make...
Penpal

Old 04-29-2012, 04:39 PM

Nicki Minaj. /shudder

Perplexing Dodecahedron

Old 04-29-2012, 05:45 PM

Practically all screamo and scene music is pure gold.

Last edited by Perplexing Dodecahedron; 04-29-2012 at 06:04 PM..

RoadToGallifrey
Penpal

Old 04-29-2012, 07:11 PM

I quite like certain scene bands... :ninja:

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 04-29-2012, 08:00 PM

I don't believe in bad genres. There are certainly genres I don't prefer, but I can't say that any given genre as a whole is bad. Only individual bands or songs.

RoadToGallifrey
Penpal

Old 04-29-2012, 08:12 PM

@Keyori: That's what I tend to think too. :yes:

HeartMoogle
Bumbling Gay
Send a message via MSN to HeartMoogle Send a message via Yahoo to HeartMoogle

Old 04-30-2012, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyori View Post
Pretty much any top 40 artist is an easy target.

I would especially recommend Nickelback or Linkin Park.
If you're looking to avoid bandwagon hatred, then these choices are actually bad, in my opinion. Especially Nickelback. It's a pop culture trend to hate Nickelback, but there's no real reason to. Personally, I like Nickelback well enough, and it annoys me when people hate on things just because it's cool. Like Twilight. Twilight isn't great, but it's not TERRIBLE either. I've read up to Breaking Dawn, and I somewhat enjoyed them. Never seen the movies. But countless people hate on Twilight just because, without ever having read or seen any of them. *shrug* I've got an anti-hipster attitude when it comes to things like this, and I don't like it when people hate just for the sake of hating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyori View Post
I don't believe in bad genres. There are certainly genres I don't prefer, but I can't say that any given genre as a whole is bad. Only individual bands or songs.
This.

An easy target to make fun of in my opinion would have to be Lil Wayne and his silly lyrics. He makes all sorts of metaphors, similes, and analogies that I imagine he thinks are probably witty and clever, but simply aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oh So Clever Lil Wayne
Eat her til she cry
Call it whine and dine
-.-

Last edited by HeartMoogle; 04-30-2012 at 02:17 AM..

Projectwolfie

Old 04-30-2012, 04:37 AM

I was actually thinking of doing Nickelback, but more of a non-bias sort of thing; both the good and the bad sides of such a band and it's following, as it would cover my opinion on most of the "hate bandwagons" themselves all in one. And no whole genres, ever. I agree completely with HeartMoogle and Keyori on that, I'm a firm believer of liking something from every genre available. I try to keep everything as varied as possible! XD

Last edited by Projectwolfie; 04-30-2012 at 04:45 AM..

Vox
*^_^*

Old 05-01-2012, 03:13 AM

I like some of these suggestions. I would go with Nicki Minaj myself, but ICP is also very mockable.

RoadToGallifrey
Penpal

Old 05-01-2012, 08:54 PM

@Alice: I refuse to believe that Stephanie Meyer has a degree in English. Her grammar is shocking as is her general description. Out of curiosity, have you ever seen the "Alex Reads Twilight" videos on youtube?

Kin-Akari
Pheonix Lover

Old 05-02-2012, 03:32 AM

@HeartMoogle: I've never gotten the whole hatewagon thing. I still like Nickelback's stuff, but I will admit that if they keep going in the direction they are, I may not particularly enjoy any more of their efforts. Same goes to Linkin Park. Over time, all bands are going to change. If you don't like the direction they're going, then that's too bad. There will be another band with a similar sound that will come along. That's the beauty of the business.

As to the original question, you could explore some of the symphonic metal bands. As much as I love a lot of the genre, their lyrics do tend towards the overwrought and melodramatic. Sometimes I like a song just because of how ridiculous it sounds.

HeartMoogle
Bumbling Gay

Old 05-03-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
@Alice: I refuse to believe that Stephanie Meyer has a degree in English. Her grammar is shocking as is her general description. Out of curiosity, have you ever seen the "Alex Reads Twilight" videos on youtube?
No I haven't. And you may be my guest to hate on Twilight all you want. Your opinion is your opinion. And I don't LOVE the books. I simply found them pleasant (except New Moon, which only bored me). However, disliking a book based on style, grammatical quality, and sentence structure is valid. Hating on something just because everyone else does is not valid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin-Akari View Post
@HeartMoogle: I've never gotten the whole hatewagon thing. I still like Nickelback's stuff, but I will admit that if they keep going in the direction they are, I may not particularly enjoy any more of their efforts. Same goes to Linkin Park. Over time, all bands are going to change. If you don't like the direction they're going, then that's too bad. There will be another band with a similar sound that will come along. That's the beauty of the business.
Exactly. I haven't liked much of Nickelback's new stuff, nor Linkin Park's, but that doesn't mean they deserve all the bandwagon hatred they get. People are entitled to their own opinions, but when your opinion has no basis to even be formed, it's not an opinion, it's just stupidity.

Bartuc
Sky Pirate

Old 05-03-2012, 08:37 AM

Ke$ha.
I mean, who the fuck puts a goddamn dollar sign in their name, then proceeds to us lyrics such as "Cause we was there." "We awesome." I mean literally.. does this bitch even know english? The shear and udder fact that this is the upcoming artists for youth of today scares me for the education being provided to the youth of today.

Oh, and Justin Bieber. Pretty much cause I dont like her.

SexualPlacebo
(◎_◎;)
Send a message via AIM to SexualPlacebo Send a message via MSN to SexualPlacebo

Old 05-03-2012, 11:11 PM

Sod, band hatred or whatever. Hate on this. Hate on it until it's never played again. Please:

Kin-Akari
Pheonix Lover

Old 05-05-2012, 11:24 PM

@SexualPlacebo: WTF? Please tell me this isn't about to be played on the radio. Some of the stuff out now is crap, but this is truly a craptastic piece of crap.

@HeartMoogle: Yep. And I guess I don't understand it is because I'm an intelligent - or at least, mostly intelligent - person who is prone to huge amounts of stupidity.

HeartMoogle
Bumbling Gay

Old 05-07-2012, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartuc View Post
Ke$ha.
I mean, who the fuck puts a goddamn dollar sign in their name, then proceeds to us lyrics such as "Cause we was there." "We awesome." I mean literally.. does this bitch even know english? The shear and udder fact that this is the upcoming artists for youth of today scares me for the education being provided to the youth of today.

Oh, and Justin Bieber. Pretty much cause I dont like her.

Bartuc: Be careful. XD Just because you dislike her doesn't really mean she's horrible. In all honesty, I have the WORLD'S respect for Ke$ha. Hers is one musician's story that I absolutely love. She's a pop singer. She's entitled to screw with grammar in any way she wants to. Besides, she persevered a career in music for NINE YEARS until she finally caught a lucky break because of a misunderstanding. Her story is amazing.

I'm not going to claim to love all of her music personally, though I do like many of her songs. However, I will defend HER to the end because she is a symbol of what musicians SHOULD be: artists who are truly passionate about what they do and stand up for who they are and what they believe in, despite what society dictates.

Bartuc
Sky Pirate

Old 05-07-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartMoogle View Post
Bartuc: Be careful. XD Just because you dislike her doesn't really mean she's horrible. In all honesty, I have the WORLD'S respect for Ke$ha. Hers is one musician's story that I absolutely love. She's a pop singer. She's entitled to screw with grammar in any way she wants to. Besides, she persevered a career in music for NINE YEARS until she finally caught a lucky break because of a misunderstanding. Her story is amazing.

I'm not going to claim to love all of her music personally, though I do like many of her songs. However, I will defend HER to the end because she is a symbol of what musicians SHOULD be: artists who are truly passionate about what they do and stand up for who they are and what they believe in, despite what society dictates.
Most artists are passionate about what they do. It eventually fades later on down the line after a few albums and drug arrests. However, I will not push you to believe something other then you do. I simply believe if you are a musician you should also consider what you do to the people who listen to you, especially the youth.
IE: Rap music from the 80s and 90s with the 20-28 year olds of today who grew up listening to it. "Hey nigga when we gonna go to the spot and pick up some bitches to bone."

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 05-07-2012, 04:06 PM

I personally love Ke$ha. I don't particularly care for that style of music but the fact that she really just doesn't give a darn about anything (and is a pretty filthy girl, lol) is what I like about her.

Plus it's good music to dance to when I'm tipsy >3>

SexualPlacebo
(◎_◎;)
Send a message via AIM to SexualPlacebo Send a message via MSN to SexualPlacebo

Old 05-07-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin-Akari View Post
@SexualPlacebo: WTF? Please tell me this isn't about to be played on the radio. Some of the stuff out now is crap, but this is truly a craptastic piece of crap.
I am praying to God not, seriously. That "song" is the worst piece of junk ever "written". People should rip out those girls' vocal chords.

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 05-07-2012, 10:52 PM

Something I was sortof thinking about today... I love Adele's voice but I really cannot stand her producer/editor/studio person or whoever does her final cuts. You can hear every damn breath she takes and it's really distracting once you notice it. Most studios will cut out or tone down breaths that are so loud (or like in this recording, the breath is not recorded at all).

Mystic
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 05-08-2012, 12:56 AM

Thank you! Someone else that can't stand the breathing into the mic thing! My friend does that and I always say something to him about it and he claims he doesn't hear it. It drives me nuts when I can hear it.

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 05-08-2012, 04:12 AM

It wouldn't be so bad if they were at least quieter... but she belts it out so hard that she inhales like she's been underwater for half an hour! D: