Evanrai
  • Challenge Evanrai in the Arcade

Old 02-15-2010, 01:51 AM

Ladies and Gentlemen, lovestruck couples and yearning lovers, I present to you a question;

Do you support Valentine's Day?

What is the point of Valentine's Day? Has it lost all meaning and turned into a marketing event geared towards the romantic?

I am of the opinion that is really is simple a marketing excuse, and quite frankly the only good parts are the wonderful events hosted on sites such as this.

I don't believe in a "Day of Love"

Last edited by Evanrai; 02-15-2010 at 02:37 PM..

Dear Husband
  • Challenge Dear Husband in the Arcade

Old 02-15-2010, 01:54 AM

Nonononono! That's just mean! You cold hearted cynic! Valentine's Day is a day full of love, when loved ones come together and show their affection for one another!

Right?

Come on!

Arguments For Valentine's Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessiFlakes View Post
I too can see both sides of the argument.

One the one hand, Valentines Day is completely commercialized and turned into a marketing ploy. Sex sells, so why can't love, right? People will do anything for someone they love, including pay for overpriced candy, flowers and other gifts.

But then, if you think about it, the effect is still really there. What's the point in paying for the overpriced gifts if you don't love the one they're for? Most couples find Valentines is still a special day and celebrate it accordingly. They also think that it's not the price or gift that matters. (But it totally helps. xD) Most people still find the love in the holiday.

So, while it's a big marketing time of the year, Valentine's Day is still totally a lover's holiday.

I'm FOR it. <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYaoiButterfly View Post
I'm not against Valentines day at all. If people want to celebrate it, good for them...I just wish the kind of love that Valentines Day is supposed to represent needs to be striven for throughout the entire year in my opinion. Don't wait until Valentines Day to tell someone that you love them...tell them every day. And the kind of stuff people do should be from the heart.

@Baliar: YES! That is so true! People should be spreading the love all year round, but Valentines Day is a day for doing something extra special for that person.

Last edited by Dear Husband; 02-15-2010 at 01:21 PM..

Evanrai

Old 02-15-2010, 01:55 AM

Chyah! You're cute honey, but it ain't happening. Everyone who agrees with me, your opinions go here.

Arguments Against Valentine's Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko-chan344 View Post
V-day's just for the market, because, personaly, people should show their love for others EVERY day, not just once a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliar View Post
p2mangil: LOL

Well, its only one day in an entire year. You shouldn't just do nice things for -insert name here- just because its Valentine's Day. Its only one day and if your not doing anything special for whomever the rest of the year they are probably not going to stick around. I like the idea that it gives somebody an extra excuse to do something special for somebody but at the same time the only reason its gets as much attention as it does is that businesses see this as a nice opportunity to raise their sales. Which is only natural. I don't think it has been totally blown out of the waters just yet. Your always going to have those stupid ads that nobody pays attention to (or I don't). Its just a potentially nice day to spend with somebody you care about and a chance to prove it if one feels the need to.

Last edited by Evanrai; 02-15-2010 at 01:18 PM..

Dear Husband

Old 02-15-2010, 02:00 AM

Ok, ok, let's be civilized about this.

1.Follow Menewsha's Rules
2. No harrassing other users
3. No attacking other user's opinions
4. Please present an actual argument or story, not simply "Valentine's Day rocks!" We want a why, otherwise she'll never be satisfied >.<
5. Keep this in the thread, no pms or whatnot!
6. Have fun ^.^!

Break these and she'll send me after you, and be warned, I can use this sword and I will! :ninja:

Last edited by Dear Husband; 02-15-2010 at 02:40 PM..

Evanrai

Old 02-15-2010, 02:05 AM

Now for the fun part.

Do you like the art you see in the banners? Well, my lovelies, if you want one then you'll have to make an effort towards the cause. For anyone who believes that I may be swayed with some honey'd words and a bundle of roses, Seduce Me! If you dare...

Rules;

1. PG 13, no explanations necessary, I hope
2. A horrible pick up line will not get you art
3. Be creative
4. Expect me to argue if I can :P
5. Don't stalk me outside this thread otherwise I'll send DH after you!
6.I have no gender bias

BTW, I am Female.

Charming Folks;

Last edited by Evanrai; 02-15-2010 at 02:25 AM..

Dear Husband

Old 02-15-2010, 02:22 AM

Reserved just in case, and Open!

By the way, I am Evanrai's Mule, used to represent one side of this debate, feel free to pretend that we are different people :P

Last edited by Dear Husband; 02-15-2010 at 02:28 AM..

violetkitty
Send a message via AIM to violetkitty
  • Challenge violetkitty in the Arcade

Old 02-15-2010, 02:56 AM

i am totally for vday

Dear Husband

Old 02-15-2010, 02:57 AM

Yay! But... We need a why :(

yoko-chan344
  • Challenge yoko-chan344 in the Arcade

Old 02-15-2010, 03:26 AM

V-day's just for the market, because, personaly, people should show their love for others EVERY day, not just once a year.

Evanrai

Old 02-15-2010, 03:29 AM

Hah! Of course. I wouldn't go out with any idiot who didn't show that he loved me in some way, shape, or form on a daily basis. (Body language:) )

I seem to be winning, darling.

Cardinal Biggles

Send a message via Yahoo to Cardinal Biggles
  • Challenge Cardinal Biggles in the Arcade

Old 02-15-2010, 04:00 AM

Er. Honestly, I can see both sides of the argument. I like the idea of a day dedicated to love (of all kinds), but I also think that V-day is heavily commercialized, rather shamefully so.

Dear Husband

Old 02-15-2010, 04:13 AM

D'aww. Ok. ^.^ Perhaps we'll make a section for people such as yourself <3

p2mangil
Send a message via AIM to p2mangil Send a message via MSN to p2mangil
  • Challenge p2mangil in the Arcade

Old 02-15-2010, 05:49 AM

Its simple...V-day is for those who are on a diet and want a reasonable excuse to eat chocolate...I mean they received it as a gift so it would be rude to turn it down...

JessiFlakes
  • Challenge JessiFlakes in the Arcade

Old 02-15-2010, 06:06 AM

I too can see both sides of the argument.

One the one hand, Valentines Day is completely commercialized and turned into a marketing ploy. Sex sells, so why can't love, right? People will do anything for someone they love, including pay for overpriced candy, flowers and other gifts.

But then, if you think about it, the effect is still really there. What's the point in paying for the overpriced gifts if you don't love the one they're for? Most couples find Valentines is still a special day and celebrate it accordingly. They also think that it's not the price or gift that matters. (But it totally helps. xD) Most people still find the love in the holiday.

So, while it's a big marketing time of the year, Valentine's Day is still totally a lover's holiday.

I'm FOR it. <3

Kris
  • Challenge Kris in the Arcade

Old 02-15-2010, 06:14 AM

There are too many important things to be worried about when people express their love.

Beliar
  • Challenge Beliar in the Arcade

Old 02-15-2010, 06:15 AM

p2mangil: LOL

Well, its only one day in an entire year. You shouldn't just do nice things for -insert name here- just because its Valentine's Day. Its only one day and if your not doing anything special for whomever the rest of the year they are probably not going to stick around. I like the idea that it gives somebody an extra excuse to do something special for somebody but at the same time the only reason its gets as much attention as it does is that businesses see this as a nice opportunity to raise their sales. Which is only natural. I don't think it has been totally blown out of the waters just yet. Your always going to have those stupid ads that nobody pays attention to (or I don't). Its just a potentially nice day to spend with somebody you care about and a chance to prove it if one feels the need to.

TheYaoiButterfly
Send a message via MSN to TheYaoiButterfly Send a message via Yahoo to TheYaoiButterfly
  • Challenge TheYaoiButterfly in the Arcade

Old 02-15-2010, 06:30 AM

I'm not against Valentines day at all. If people want to celebrate it, good for them...I just wish the kind of love that Valentines Day is supposed to represent needs to be striven for throughout the entire year in my opinion. Don't wait until Valentines Day to tell someone that you love them...tell them every day. And the kind of stuff people do should be from the heart.

@Baliar: YES! That is so true! People should be spreading the love all year round, but Valentines Day is a day for doing something extra special for that person.

Evanrai

Old 02-15-2010, 01:31 PM

You also seem to be in between sides, but I'll put you down as for the silly occasion since you said you're not against it.

So far it seems to be between the idea of showing your love year-round instead of simply on one over-marketed date. But some people seem to think that the day is still special enough.

Perhaps you think that Valentine's Day is a day for showing your love through more....traditional means?