View Poll Results: Who's your favourite?
John Keats 2 33.33%
Elizabeth Bishop 0 0%
T.S. Eliot 4 66.67%
Who the heck are they?! 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Shiruvya
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Shiruvya Send a message via MSN to Shiruvya Send a message via Yahoo to Shiruvya

Old 02-24-2010, 06:16 PM

Hello everyone and thanks for looking
I was wondering if anyone had notes on the following poems/poets that they could either email me, copy paste here or upload somewhere for me to see.
Thanks!

PS: If you happen to be studying any of these this year to (or will be in the future) I have no problem with sending you my notes as well / the notes I have compiled from whoever posts here.
  • John Keats
    - Ode to a Nightingale
    - To Autumn!
    - Ode on Melancholy
    - Ode on a Grecian Urn
    - La Belle Damn Sans Merci
  • Elizabeth Bishop
    - Filling Station
    - The Fish
    - At the Fish Houses
    - Sandpiper
    - One Art
  • T.S. Eliot
    - The Hollow Men
    - Journey of the Magi
    - The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock
    - Preludes I, II, III, & IV

Edit: Not sure if this should be in either the art or literature forum but feel free to move it if needed.

Last edited by Shiruvya; 02-24-2010 at 06:20 PM..

blankgirl
*^_^*

Old 02-24-2010, 09:54 PM

if you have a certain poem you are trying to analyze I could take a look at it but I did those a year ago and do not have the notes with me... >.< im at my dorm

kollusim
Uninspired Mania
Send a message via MSN to kollusim

Old 02-24-2010, 10:54 PM

Yeah, I did Eliot just over three years ago. I have no idea where those notes might be, but I'll have a look anyway.

Ode
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 02-25-2010, 02:42 AM

I have something(s) from each of them, but not on my personal computer. Anyway, you should probably due the work to analyze the poetry yourself. If you are unclear of the meaning, you can look it up.

Loved Ode to a Grecian Urn, it's all about prolonging the ephemeral quality of love (especially young love). However, it's uncertain whether this is a happy thing--this being frozen in time--because the couple are constantly longing, coming together--but never actually get to be together.

The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock is one of my favorite poems. The meaning can be hazy upon first read. I suggest reading this poem (and all of them, actually, much more fun) out loud. Prufrock is surrounded by these cultured ladies, he feels himself lesser, scrutinized, silly. These women are mermaids, unreachable--"Do I dare disturb the universe?" A great poem, I have lots written about it, and wrote my own emulation poem--notice the sonics he uses, off-rhyme and ocean imagery--it really invokes the ocean.

Blah, sorry, that's just what I can remember off the top of my head.

kollusim
Uninspired Mania
Send a message via MSN to kollusim

Old 02-25-2010, 02:46 AM

I had thought The Hollow Men to be about Guy Fawkes. Especially looking at the last stanza.

Shiruvya
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Shiruvya Send a message via MSN to Shiruvya Send a message via Yahoo to Shiruvya

Old 02-27-2010, 07:44 AM

Yeah, everything you guys have said is true - I didn't notice the off rhymes relating to the ocean though in Prufrock so thank you for pointing that out and confirming what other things I've seen. I have analyzed them all myself but at the end of the year for 20% of my English mark I have to improvise an oral presentation on a random poem they give me 20 minutes before I have to present which will be selected from those so I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.