Blazi

Old 10-01-2009, 09:51 PM

In sixth grade, I happened upon Life as we Knew it by Susan Pfeffer. I read it in one sitting, and my Dad came home at around an hour past my bedtime to find me huddled on the couch with all the lights on, along with the TV and any other bright electrical appliances.
(I was in sixth grade, okay? xD I'm not a baby. Anymore.)
The year after, I discovered the sequel, The Dead and the Gone. The first book was just in a small Pennsylvania town. But this new book is the same scenario, but a different family in New York City.
And now there's a third book coming out: This World We Live In, which is to be published in "181 Days, 6 Hours, 30 Minutes". (The counter is on the author's blog)

For those who haven't read it, I recommend it to everyone. It's not quite a horror story, (I was a very childish sixth grader, okay? xD) but a story about the apocalypse.
Basic summary (this is of the first book, Life As We Knew It): At first, the meteor about to hit the moon seems like just an excuse for more homework. But Miranda, who's 16, has her entire life changed when the meteor knocks the moon closer into orbit.
Cape Cod and other islands have been completely submerged. Electricity has become a blessing, where it only comes on for minutes at a time on very rare occasions. By mid-August, temperatures have reached -2 degrees F on average, and 27 constitutes a heat wave. Food is running out and a simple cold can become deadly. The book is Miranda's diary, as she tries to survive through all of this with her mother and two brothers.

The Dead and the Gone is the same scenario, except it's in New York City, with Alex Morales as the main character and told in third person. Because of the lack of electricity and working Internet/phones/etc., his parents are missing and he has to raise his two younger sisters in the basement of the apartment his father maintains while he waits, and hopes, for them to return.

Apparently this third one is Miranda's diary, continued, but she meets Alex in it. That's really all I know, though. ._.

So, discuss?
Because no one else I know has read it. D:
Warning to those who haven't read it: Spoilers, probably. :3