♥Martyr♥
I posses your kookies keebler el...

Old 10-13-2009, 12:26 AM

Lately I've seen people draw art with using photoshop; I was wondering if downloading it is worth it or not? I don't have a tablet; just a simple laptop, and I don't know what its like. I know you can draw; format pictures; and make all that text and stuff; I just need those people who have it or are used to it that can tell me if its really worth downloading. My laptop all ready has low disk space and I don't want to overpower it. I know you can just delete but I heard downloading it is long. Is it? I don't know; Please help me! I have all this art in me that I wanna do...

>>>oh and if this thread is in the wrong place please move it mods; I couldn't think of where else this would belong O.o

Analise Loire
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-13-2009, 12:30 AM

It's totally worth it.
Ever since i started using it for coloring my art,
I have never regretted it.
You should totally buy it if your thinking of coloring or make your art come out much better and pretty.
^-^

♥Martyr♥

Old 10-13-2009, 12:32 AM

Yeah I heard that too and it's a nice program, or so they say. Do you use a tablet? I mean is there a way of coloring with a laptop?

H o s h ! y o
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-13-2009, 12:34 AM

Definitely worth it. I have CS3 currently and I love it to death.
I don't have a tablet yet, but I will be getting one soon. My old one
broke, so I at least know what it's like using one.

There's ALWAYS ways of coloring with a laptop. You use a mouse,
right? Or the mousepad on the laptop? I'd advise to get a mouse first
but you can do just about anything with Photoshop.

And yes, you can even draw simple sketches in it. And line it
out, using different layers, which you'd learn how to use just by
using Photoshop.

Analise Loire
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-13-2009, 12:35 AM

oh yea of course there is a way to edit on laptop.
Its just gonna be harder cuz personally i think the mouse pad is hard to use.
But if you dont think that,
I can give you a tutorial on how to color art if you ever get it.
^-^

♥Martyr♥

Old 10-13-2009, 12:38 AM

Well of course I have a mouse; doi. ;3
Um, I know but if I were to download what version would be best?
Gr. I don't know if there is a better a program than photoshop that I'm completely missing out on; and it could be better and take up less space on your computer;

edit***awesome thanks! but I'm still deciding on it; I mean I have scanner and I can just scan my drawings; but I want to try something new. And yeah I can just add on the wire mouse on the side...if that works better than the pad.

H o s h ! y o
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-13-2009, 12:42 AM

Wireless or wire-mouse works a lot better than the mouse pad.
So definitely get one of those. You won't regret it.

Also, OpenCanvas is a good program, I hear. As well as Corel Paint
for tablets (mine came with that before). GIMP is a no-cost version
of Photoshop, but I don't really like it..

There's also PaintShopPro. And I have a neat little program called
MangaStudio that I love to death. So if you want to create mangas
or anything that looks manga-esque, then that is a must.

♥Martyr♥

Old 10-13-2009, 12:45 AM

What if your looking to do pixel? And such; and I figured having a mouse is better than the mouse pad =P Isn't paint shop pro just like the original paint downloaded onto your computer when you first get it?

chrom0
Addict
Send a message via AIM to chrom0 Send a message via MSN to chrom0

Old 10-13-2009, 12:46 AM

If you are looking to just play around, draw a bit, nothing serious, I suggest you go with Sai. Its a free program, similar to photoshop, that is GREAT for color work. Sadly, for now, Sai is only for windows.

H o s h ! y o
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-13-2009, 12:47 AM

PaintShopPro is a lot like Photoshop, actually.
And yes, you can still do pixel art in things like Photoshop.

Totally forgot about Sai. I need to get that baby.

Analise Loire
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-13-2009, 12:49 AM

well personally, the best version to use that doesn't take up much space is photoshop elements 5.0

Fastion
Black Shield

Old 10-13-2009, 12:57 AM

I think it is completely worth it. And if your a student you can get it for MUCH cheaper than the regular price. Even if you don't draw in it, it's good for photo editing and manipulation. You can even scan images into it than adjust the levels and what not.

@ Analise Loire - actually, I find I like CS3 better than the old versions. I think I had 5.0 for a while, but then I needed a better version for college and I actually really like CS3

cbrstrshp
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-13-2009, 01:17 AM

I started to get into digital drawing a few years ago but I kind of drifted out when my scanner broke. There are several ways that I know of.
1- hand draw the pictures, there are special blue pencils that you can use that don't show up on scanners that you can use for sketches
2- a Wacom tablet is another way you could draw with a computer, I find them to be a bit easier
3- some Wacom tablets come with a paint program. although they wont be as fancy as others like PhotoShop or Corel (professional programs) they still get the job done

hope this helps!

sunrain
Bug the Tomato

Old 10-13-2009, 01:47 AM

I haven't done much digital artwork, but I have used PS and openCanvas. I really want to try SAI, but it looks like there won't be a version for Macs. Most people like openCanvas and SAI for painting/coloring, and PS for editing and special effects. A lot of artists I know work this way. Tablet definitely makes things easier. I really depends on what you want to do with your art. For pixel work, i think you just use the pencil tool to get the pixels. That's what I've read on all the tutorials, anyway. I have Photoshop CS4, but I'm still waiting to get a tablet. I don't have a mouse with my laptop, so it's really hard to draw anything digitally right now. So in general, SAI and openCanvas are better for painting/drawing/line art and PS is better for editing and effects.

♥Martyr♥

Old 10-13-2009, 01:56 AM

Yeah thanks for the help guys =]
I want to test out photoshop and have fun playing around a bit too; I mean Sai sounds good and maybe I'll try it sometime. And I don' own a tablet >P And thats exactly what I thought; about using a program that takes up lesser room but is still efficient. And photoshop is costly right? Like you have to pay for it? and i have windows so maybe Sai could work for me...does that also apply for photoshop?

Codette
The One and Only

Penpal

Old 10-13-2009, 02:07 AM

oh god yes! I love my photoshop, its a god send, especially since I'm in a Graphic Design course. ^.^' and having a tablet isn't necessary, but I like having one, it makes things a tad easier

Yorihiko
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-13-2009, 02:38 AM

I am in a love/hate relationship with Photoshop. If there was anything on earth in the open source (free) world, I would switch to it in an instant if it could do everything photoshop can. Mainly because I think windows is hades in digital format, and want to switch to Kubuntu. But sadly, none of the open source options (even the best of them) are up to par. The very best and most widely known one has lots of features and at first APPEARS to be like Photoshop, but... really there are things I found I could not do with it that I could with Photoshop.

Anyhow, I'm condemned to windows, because my Japanese word processors don't run on Linux... -sighs-

Unfortunately, Photoshop is typically hundreds of dollars. Which really, really stinks.

cbrstrshp
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-13-2009, 04:41 AM

It all depends on what version of Photoshop you get, the same applies for most programs. A later version of Photoshop might be cheaper. If you can find a version that is a few years older I would get that one, you might have to look in stores or browse online for it but you save yourself some money.

lightkanna
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-13-2009, 05:35 AM

Photoshop is awesome. But I don't use it, I am taking graphic design class and I am failing miserably. It's not my fault I suck at photoshop, okay. I actually do look up people on youtube and watch them on photoshop and wish I could do that. )=
I don't know if you should take my decision into your thoughts. ^^ But it's obviously the best, right. XD

Angelwitch
*^_^*

Old 10-13-2009, 05:38 AM

Photoshop is a good program and all but if your like me and dont want to spend money on the thing, go for something like Sai or Gimp, they are both free and they do almost the same thing.

i use these two programs mainly because when i had photoshop (an older verson) i never used it all that much, i draw alot but i didn't really edit my pics that much so it was kinda the logical thing to do once i kinda lost photoshop. so i think it's really up to what you really want out of it.

cashuea
*^_^*

Old 10-13-2009, 05:46 AM

Photoshop is totally worth it! Sure its a bit expensive but if you are really into art it is worth every dollar (or whatever currency to may use)! I say go get it! =3

SamuraiPanda
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-13-2009, 07:22 PM

I'll admit I just scanned the replies but a lot of them just seemed to be saying yeah its worth it.

However one needs to look at both ends of the spectrums. The DL is not always free(especially not from adobe's site as eventually you will have to pay when your trial expires) and the cracks? Lets say a lot of them tend to crash a lot, or so I've learned from an ex roomates misfortunes.

If you don't plan on drawing and coloring professionally getting an over the top program like adobe cs3 is just not worth it cash wise, especially when you can download comparable programs like gimp for free.

If you REALLY want photoshop however I recommend getting a tablet. They give you a software disc containing the latest version of adobe elements for about 20 bucks more then if you were to buy the tablet without the extra software. The cheapest tablet out there is the bamboo and bamboo fun 70/90 usd before taxes. Add that in with the virtually free program you get as well and you can be one happy little camper and start learning the ropes without being out 500+

Telendil Thaliel'dhar
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to Telendil Thaliel'dhar Send a message via Yahoo to Telendil Thaliel'dhar

Old 10-13-2009, 07:36 PM

I have Adobe Photoshop, Flash, and Dreamweaver. To me, it's definitely worth having, especially if you make art, animations, and/or graphics.

However, there are some drawbacks. It is expensive to purchase, and you might consider getting something like Paint Shop Pro instead if you have a limited budget.

Also, the program is heavy on the hardware, but I can't say how well your computer will be able to handle it without knowing what the specs are on your laptop, particularly the RAM and ROM.

♥Martyr♥

Old 10-13-2009, 07:38 PM

Well um mostly they are all positive....but I all ready am getting a tablet now; and my parents wont let me have photoshop if its costly; so now i have the decision between those two O.O and I wen to my friends house and he showed me photoshop and it's pretty cool I have to say; Yeah I draw but not professionally... I mean I like the others listed above like the Sai and that other one; maybe just using one of those as a beginner program and then once im a pro maybe go for the photoshop? But I heard that photoshop makes some artists how to they draw today; O.o

Iishii
Witch of the Winds, Water and Li...

Old 10-13-2009, 07:45 PM

I currently use version 7 and fell in love with it. :)

I don't think of myself as a serious artist and since I can do all the things I usually do (cging, pixel art, tool-shading dolls, pixel-shaded dolls, etc), I have no need to upgrade. XD I also use a tablet. Wacom Bamboo Fun in Black. XD It's small, but I love it to bits. It does take a bit to get use to, but once you're comfortable with it, it's fun. <3 I'm still trying to get myself to draw freehanded instead of the usual 'draw on paper then scan' approach. @___@;; I LOVE cging with my tablet too. <3

Best part? My tablet only cost me $99. XD

But yeah, as everyone says, Photoshop is not cheap. D: Other alternatives I can give are Gimp. Maybe also Easy Painter Tool SAI, but isn't that a trial download...?