Teddie
Send a message via AIM to Teddie Send a message via MSN to Teddie

Old 10-04-2009, 03:57 PM

This thread is for anyone who has already read The Great Gatsby. (Unless someone wants to read about spoilers.)

What did you think about a certain character?
What was one of your favorite parts of the book?
Have you done any fan fiction based on it?

Above are some basic ideas for you to think about when responding to this thread. I personally, thought Nick Carraway and James Gatz (Gatsby) would've made the cutest gay couple "old sport." If the moral corruption of the established rich hadn't gotten in the way, the book might have turned around in the end.

Daisy and Tom Buchanan bost angered me greatly through out the book because of how careless they were, and selfish.

I thought the use of imagery was great in the book and basically, the entire novel was one of the 1920's greatest literary works of all time.

Knightess
The Lady Knight

Old 10-04-2009, 04:05 PM

I remember I did not like this book at all. Daisy and Tom just made me want to throw the book out the door. The whole thing with Marge made me so angry along with her husband. The ending was terrible. I also thought Nick Carraway needed to grow a pair and actually do something. I hate passive main characters and he didn't seem to do anything of interest.

I did think about James Gatz and Nick being gay while reading it. I don't think anyone else in my class did, so I didn't say anything about it. But yeah. Totally picked up on it.

Erailea
Lost soul

Old 10-04-2009, 05:27 PM

I remember I liked this book, but I can't remember why XD Then again I don't really remember any of the story either, I read it like five or six years ago now. I also remember it wasn't the type of book I would have normally picked up and had it not been assigned reading for a class I wouldn't have ever given it a shot.

Teddie
Send a message via AIM to Teddie Send a message via MSN to Teddie

Old 10-04-2009, 05:29 PM

I'm glad someone else shares my views about the Buchanans and Nick. He did seem a little too passive, but then again he did try to help Gatsby and Daisy. And as for Jordan, I don't understand how someone could be such a compulsive liar about everything.

Do you remember Owl Eyes? The one who knew the books were "real"? He was one of my favourites. :)

x_Temev Leapthief
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-13-2010, 09:59 PM

Has anyone here ever read The Great Gatsby? I have to read and annotate it for school. I've only read and annotated the first chapter, and I'm sort of confused on what is happening so far. I'm probably just going to go on Spark Notes and read a summary of the first chapter... so I can clear things up. But anyway, has anyone here read it? Did you like it? Would you recommend it? Thanks!

mangaturtle
Dr. Hyde
Send a message via AIM to mangaturtle Send a message via Yahoo to mangaturtle

Old 03-13-2010, 11:12 PM

had to read it for English class too. hated that book with a fiery passion and i think i burned it when we were done with it...the library was not too happy about that.
so in essence, you will find no one in that book you will care about or like. and i can;t help you with it as i removed all the info from that book form my head when i was done with it.
hope this helps!

x_Temev Leapthief
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-14-2010, 06:14 AM

@mangaturtle;; Haha. I have heard so many different kinds of reviews on the book. Some people liked it, and some hated it with a fiery passion, like you do x] Muahaha. I heard that it doesn't get good till like the second to last chapter. That's disappointing ~_~

Telephone
Sarah

Old 03-15-2010, 01:57 AM

I'm in a similar boat with Mangaturtle, I just couldn't make myself care about any of the characters, which I guess is kind of the point to show that they all live these horribly opulent lives, but it just sort of sickened me.
I can see the literary merits, and I have friends that loved every word of it, but it just really wasn't for me.
And don't worry too much about that first chapter, Fitzgerald's language is pretty flowery, and it takes a bit to get used to, but once you do it's smooth sailing. (:
So it just depends what you're into, but that's not really helpful is it? xD
If you need any literary help I can try and be of assistance, but I'm sure spark notes would be more helpful. :lol:

ButterflyDemise
Cupcake Zombie

Old 03-15-2010, 02:25 AM

I had to read it for English class too. I usually hate the books required for English, but I had to admit it was pretty decent. (Though I know I would have been at least a little bored with it if I had to read it all on my own. (Our teacher had a tape recorder reading it to us instead, haha.)

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-15-2010, 09:57 PM

Merging this with our preexisting Great Gatsby thread. ;D

Luscara
Luscara
Send a message via AIM to Luscara

Old 03-23-2010, 07:29 AM

I absolutely couldn't relate to this novel. I tried so hard because I love the time period, but after a couple of chapters of everybody mooning over the ever so self absorbed Daisy I couldn't take it anymore.

halfbreedfox
Watch My Eyes

Old 03-25-2010, 01:20 AM

I'm not thrilled about the plot for The Great Gatsby. I hated Daisey so much and the high class people so much, the plot revolving around them was boring.

I fell in love with the characters of Nick and Gatsby. Cutest couple ever, but we can't have homos running around, now can we. The only reason I kept reading that book was because of Gatsby. I loved him so much. The ending was horribly sad, but I wasn't unhappy with it.

But I read that book so long ago, that I can't remember it clearly.

Wrenji-chan
I belong in a Museum.

Penpal

Old 03-26-2010, 12:53 PM

suffice to say, I was the only one in my English class that enjoyed The Great Gatsby. It made me laugh, cry, and shout. It was truly amazing.

About Nick and Gatz... perfect. Though I agree with Teddie, Nick was really passive. But then again, maybe I sympathized with him because I'm passive myself. XP.

And just to note, I would run over my husband lover with an old flame's car if only for the nostalgia.

TalkingBackwards
Grim
Send a message via AIM to TalkingBackwards Send a message via MSN to TalkingBackwards

Old 03-26-2010, 10:37 PM

I love The Great Gatsby. I was one of two people in my entire American Lit. Honors class that did, though. The other person was my friend and the class already thought we were plenty weird as it was. >_>
I hate both films, though. And yes, I did hate Daisy. But I love Gatz himself. Most people don't. Probably because people don't want to admit how much they can understand and relate to him.
I was happy about Myrtle too. Does that make me a bad person? XD

Snort Like A Pig
Stay fine.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:13 AM

Lol, I had to read that book for school... AND I HATED IT. O_O Nick is such a little bitch. Ha ha. Like, seriously, his whole role in the book annoyed the crap out of me. All he was was some wanna-be pimp. Same with Jay. They both were too attracted to material wealth to be likeable characters. And wtf, don't even get me started with Daisy. Urgh, so boringgg. Lol, this is just my opinion though. I ain't tryin' to be a hater. XD

TalkingBackwards
Grim
Send a message via AIM to TalkingBackwards Send a message via MSN to TalkingBackwards

Old 03-30-2010, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort Like A Pig View Post
Lol, I had to read that book for school... AND I HATED IT. O_O Nick is such a little bitch. Ha ha. Like, seriously, his whole role in the book annoyed the crap out of me. All he was was some wanna-be pimp. Same with Jay. They both were too attracted to material wealth to be likeable characters. And wtf, don't even get me started with Daisy. Urgh, so boringgg. Lol, this is just my opinion though. I ain't tryin' to be a hater. XD
That's... kind of the point. Nick is the "normal" guy who just kind of stumbled into James Gatz's life. Daisy is the mary-sue girl that for some reason everyone likes. And Gatsby is the guy that everyone can relate to but doesn't want to.

Titus Andronicus
*^_^*

Old 04-11-2010, 05:45 AM

Oooh, this brings up a few memories! I didn't like it at first but our tutor FORCED us to read it twice, so we took everything in. Good plan thinking back...Thats when i decided that although Nick was passive and boring at times, i could relate to him slightly. As for Gatsby, he was a brilliant character, and no matter how manly i pretend to be, i was absolutely gutted when the plot turned sour and shots were fired, then angered beyond repair in the last scene with Daisy...for a novel i would never imagine reading unless forced, i felt attached to the characters when i was studying it, which is an acheivment in my eyes!