Mystic
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 08-19-2011, 09:42 PM

I'm fluent in English. I know bits of Spanish, Italian, French, Arabic, and some Japanese. Anything I know, I pick up from hearing other people speaking it. I can't just go read a book on it and know it, I have to hear it spoken or I'll forget it.

I plan on learning either Arabic or Japanese for school when I go back in the fall. Arabic would be a lot more useful to me but I want to finish learning Japanese too.

dubu
Banned

Old 08-20-2011, 04:41 AM

I was born in North America, so I speak fluent English.
I'm Chinese though, and while I do understand some basic conversation and words, I'm not entirely fluent in it. ^^;
I love learning/studying about other languages though, especially asian languages!
I'm currently studying some Japanese in school, and it's been really interesting! I hope to learn some Korean and also some more Chinese to expand my vocabulary someday.
Plus, I tend to watch a whole lot of asian dramas, so learning these languages would be super helpful in understanding without subtitles. xD

Acobjum
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Penpal

Old 08-20-2011, 05:51 PM

I speak fluent English and have been learning Esperanto, Spanish, French, Japanese, German, and Turkish.

Clair Voyant
}-(((*>

Old 08-20-2011, 06:27 PM

I can speak only English fluently, but I understand some French. I've studied French in school, and my father speaks it fluently (however, I was raised with my dad around- so he wasn't able to really teach me much). I know a few German and Japanese phrases, and I'm trying to learn Dutch. This autumn, I'm also going to be taking Korean. :D

ChiNoMizuumi
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-20-2011, 08:04 PM

hnn... well I was born in America, but english really isn't my first language, which accounts for my sometimes-horrible grammar/spelling/stuff in general. My family is all Russian, so that's what I spoke the most up until the end of elementary school. Even in school now I tend to figure things out in my head in Russian XD ....So Russian is like a first language... I just can't write or speak it because my parents were trying to make me learn english as a child, not Russian XD.
As for other languages, I know Spanish from school and can sort of hold up a conversation. Uhm... my friend from Holland was trying to teach me Dutch X'D... And I know some random stuff in Japanese from all the anime and japanese music I listen to ^^"
If my school offered a different language, I'd be taking it in a heartbeat. I'm sick of Spanish.... I think 9 years of Spanish classes are enough already... >w<

luci_in_the_sky
Dead Account Holder

Old 08-20-2011, 08:39 PM

I think America SHOULD focus more on language diversity. I mean, people from all over the world can be found here, and it isn't fair to only teach a few languages in school. For instance, I have Nordic blood. I think it'd be neat to learn Norwegian, Danish or Swedish, but you cannot find classes for those languages anywhere. I understand they speak English sometimes, but I don't want my roots to dissolve, you know? I think it's amazing for families to come here from anywhere in the world, learn English AND raise children to be bilingual. THAT is what we need to focus on, I believe. I've taught myself most of what I know, and I've graduated home-school. xP Because I'm interested in so many things. The problem is, many people aren't. And so they lose interest and drop out. Sorry, touchy subject for me. Lots of really great, smart people I know dropped out of high school, due to nobody taking the time to really communicate and there was no diversity in the classes. =P

----------

Alrighty, guys. You should check out my new post on language exchange. PM me if you wanna learn Japanese or teach me what you know!