Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 02-08-2012, 05:34 PM

I don't know about you all, but I looooove cooking, and I equally love EATING!

What is your favorite home cooked meal? Who usually makes it? Feel like sharing the recipe? ;D

My favorite meal is probably my mother-in-law's Italian chicken. I've tried so hard to make it myself but I just can't get it right! Her recipe is like MAGIC.

A close second would be my friend's seriously-made-from-scratch red pepper hummus with cucumber salad on pita. He refuses to share his recipe with me :C

As far as stuff I can actually MAKE, my best recipe (and so horrible for me to eat) is my taco rolls. I make a taco meat and velveeta filling and wrap it in egg roll wrappers, deep fry them and dip them in sour cream, salsa, or guacamole. So tasty and soooooo terrible for my health! My husband begs me to make them but our deep-fryer is on an extended vacation right now while we're trying to eat healthier.

Dustoxin
Kick'n'Rad

Old 02-08-2012, 05:41 PM

I enjoy rainbow fudge :x the recipe is my little secret, I also like making bacon weave mugs filled with cheese and then bacon weave nachos for my friends, the secret ingredient is bacon.. and cheese..

as for actual meals I looooove making Sushi roles, takes a while to do but its soooo much fun *_*

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 02-08-2012, 05:59 PM

Rainbow fudge? That sounds amazing! I don't want you to give up too much, but could I ask what it's like? Like, is it a chocolate-peanut butter type fudge or does it have rainbow sprinkles? Or something even more mysterious and magical? You should make some and post pictures! And then mail me some :ninja:

Dustoxin
Kick'n'Rad

Old 02-08-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyori View Post
Rainbow fudge? That sounds amazing! I don't want you to give up too much, but could I ask what it's like? Like, is it a chocolate-peanut butter type fudge or does it have rainbow sprinkles? Or something even more mysterious and magical? You should make some and post pictures! And then mail me some :ninja:
Its more of a maple fudge that looks like a rainbow since it has every color of the rainbow in it, You can put sprinkles on it, tho I like it on its own.. I usually make it for parties and bring along rainbow jello and rainbow cupcakes, annoys some people, but reactions are funny :3

Mystic
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 02-08-2012, 07:05 PM

I love curry of any kind. I also enjoy Arabic food quite a bit. I make everything from scratch and it's just awesome. My mom also always makes awesome dinners for family get togethers. It's cute and tastes yummy.

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 02-08-2012, 07:16 PM

What kind of curry? I love yellow Thai curry and mild Japanese curry (POTATOES YAY)!

Pipi
(-.-)zzZ

Old 02-08-2012, 07:44 PM

i loooove pasta, so my favorite home cooked meal has to be my four cheese sauce with bowtie pasta!

Dustoxin
Kick'n'Rad

Old 02-08-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipi View Post
i loooove pasta, so my favorite home cooked meal has to be my four cheese sauce with bowtie pasta!
didn't just use one of the cheese twice right? x3 I like pasta its pretty easy to work with, I enjoy making bacon carbonara with fuccili, its a little lighter of a sauce and it doesn't reheat well, but when its serve hot its to die for.

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 02-11-2012, 01:36 PM

I'm not sure what country's style of curry my mum bases her curry on but it's a fine curry. It has lots of vegetables, like potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, eggplant, capsicum and also has chicken pieces in it. It's flavoured with lemon grass, red curry paste, curry powder and fish sauce. What I like about this curry is that it's more like a soup than a thick sauce like curry, so it goes well with vermicelli or Vietnamese bread rolls. :drool:

Every time she makes it there's a huge pot even though she only puts a small amount of each ingredient in, as far as I'm aware.

I've never tried to make it, though next time If I can I'll try to observe or get her to teach me.

Mystic
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 02-11-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyori View Post
What kind of curry? I love yellow Thai curry and mild Japanese curry (POTATOES YAY)!
I cook a lot of Indian foods and I've made Japanese curry before with the potatoes. That is amazing! I think I like yellow curry best. I have red and green curry too that I use a bit too though. Chickpea curry with potatoes I think is one of my favorites.

Codette
The One and Only

Penpal

Old 02-11-2012, 05:53 PM

I hate gravy, yet my grandma has this recipe for meatballs in gravy that she makes for Christmas and Thanksgiving and it is the most amazing thing on the planet. Both my mom and sister have gotten the recipe from her, but it's not the same and I can't eat it. It has to be made by my grandma ^.^

Servos
⊙ω⊙

Old 02-11-2012, 06:36 PM

My favorite home cooked meal is lemon chicken with rice and a nice fresh salad. I loved it when my dad used to cook it when I was young, and now that I am an adult it is my go to feel good meal.

I also really like to make tacos, its always a ton of fun to do and they always taste so good when you do it at home.
Mmmm I'm hungry.

Pa-chinko
Ninja

Old 02-12-2012, 05:31 AM

I only really eat home made stuff.
I really like making spaghetti with bechamel sauce. I make the spaghetti noodles from scratch as well as the sauce.
I also like making okonomiyaki. You just need the sauce, some basic ingredients like egg, flour and cabbage, the rest is up to you. I tend to use leftover meat and vegetables.

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 02-12-2012, 09:08 PM

Okonomiyaki is soooo good, but I haven't had it in a couple of years.

How hard is it to make pasta from scratch? I've never tried doing it, since I don't really have any equipment for it.

Pa-chinko
Ninja

Old 02-13-2012, 05:48 AM

Keyori:
It's pretty easy. Just make dough out of egg, flour and salt. You can do the whole mixing of those ingredients on the chopping board and knead the dough from there. Then you need to run it through the noodle machine a couple of times. I use those traditional hand powered ones. It's really relaxing and satisfying to see the noodles grow in length and you make them thinner and thinner. I ended up with noodles about 1 metre (I think that's 3 feet?) long. xD

You need two people though to make your life a million times easier.

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 02-13-2012, 05:51 AM

A meter-long noodle would be so uncomfortable to swallow... XD

Is it possible to make without a machine? I'm thinking lasagna rolled out by hand or something.

Pa-chinko
Ninja

Old 02-13-2012, 07:38 AM

Of course. You'd have to roll it a fair bit and spend some time with it but shouldn't be a problem. xD

Akrasiat

Old 02-13-2012, 12:08 PM

My favorite home-cooked dish would probably be stir-fried Chinese eggplant with pork. The part that makes it really delicious is the sauce, and I think the kind that my dad makes is perfect, and he makes it so that it's not too greasy but not dry at all, either. He mixes his own all-purpose spice blend and makes the sauce from scratch, but I don't think even he knows what he puts in there.

He's not cagey about it, but his answers are so vague ... "Salt, pepper, hot sauce, soy sauce... I think some vinegar and sugar... wine? Yeah, definitely put some rice wine in. Um. Ginger? Anise? Garlic? Christ, I don't fucking know. Just put shit in it until it tastes good, and if you put too much of something in, add some water or just make sure you serve it with more rice. It's not that fucking hard."

My favorite thing that I make is my apple butter and balsamic vinegar roasted pork loin. I combined these two recipes:
Apple Butter Pork Loin Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Roast Pork Loin Recipe - Balsamic Roast Pork Loin Recipe
and the secret is marinating the pork loin in the sauce for at least forty-eight hours beforehand.

AwkwardWithASideOfFries
⊙ω⊙

Old 02-13-2012, 02:12 PM

My Dad makes the Best Mahi mahi <3. It's so delicious, oh my gosh, I could go on and on about how fulfilling it is!!!!! I don't really know the recipe, but, mm... He also makes Amazing chili, hamburger curry, spanish rice (americanized), fried rice, beef tomato, and more that I can't remember at the moment. My Mom's best meal is probably the fried rice we made together last week... She's not the best cook, due to lack of patience, but it's edible and sometimes good ^^.

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 02-13-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrasiat View Post
He's not cagey about it, but his answers are so vague ... "Salt, pepper, hot sauce, soy sauce... I think some vinegar and sugar... wine? Yeah, definitely put some rice wine in. Um. Ginger? Anise? Garlic? Christ, I don't fucking know. Just put shit in it until it tastes good, and if you put too much of something in, add some water or just make sure you serve it with more rice. It's not that fucking hard."
Haha, that sounds like me making nikujaga, especially if I don't have all the ingredients I need (which is ALWAYS :cry:)

Sugar, soy sauce, fish sauce, beef stock, mirin, sake, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, more sugar... sounds about right.

I never have fish sauce. Or bonito flakes. I really should get some ._.

Last edited by Keyori; 02-13-2012 at 04:31 PM..

Faded Beauty
Imaginary Friend

Old 02-13-2012, 07:31 PM

I also love cooking. The sizzling sound of butter and the aroma of fresh home cooking is personally fetish on mine; in a way. Plus I never use recipes measurements, I go by taste.

My favorite breakfast meal, is my woman's homemade Hash browns. I don't know what she does, I use the same things she does, butter, bell peppers, seasonings but hers drive me nuts when she makes them.

My second favorite meals, are tied. Home made Stuff Mushrooms and Fried Pork Katsu. Both made by my father, he swear up and down mine is better but I prefer his.

If anyone wishes, I and share the basic ingredients just let me know if you want them. :)

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 02-13-2012, 07:39 PM

Ohhh, I should make chicken katsu....

Do you have a recipe for katsu sauce?

greendragon06
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 02-13-2012, 07:45 PM

I like a lot of homemade foods. Probably the best meal that I can make myself is baked barbeque chicken with roasted potatoes and green beans or sugar snap peas.

Faded Beauty
Imaginary Friend

Old 02-13-2012, 07:47 PM

The sauce is easy.

✘ 1 cup of ketchup.
✘ 4 teaspoons of ground ginger.
✘ 1 1/2 teaspoons of garlic powder.
✘ One drop or two of sesame seed oil.
✘ 1 1/2 teaspoons of soy sauce.
✘ 1 teaspoon of rice vinegar.

That's how I was taught, it really depends on how you wish to make it. You could add red wine to it or change it to how you see fit.

greendragon06
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 02-13-2012, 07:51 PM

That sauce sounds really good Faded and easy enough to make, I think the only thing I would have to go out and buy is the sesame seed oil. Is that good on chicken? That's what Keyori was talking about, it sounds really good to me.