Glass
*^_^*

Old 03-01-2012, 07:03 PM

So as of posting this, Andrew Breitbart has died.

Honestly I don't know what to think about the man, having not read much of what he wrote.

However the response a lot of people are having disgusts me. I don't care if you disagree with someone politically, or they mocked your movement, or whatever. It is morally reprehensible to celebrate someone's death.

The man had family, friends, and others who cared for him, and will be mourning his loss. To them, the celebrating is not only insulting, but the worst example of inhumanity.

Not only that, but people like me who try to stay neutral politically, are looking at the people doing the celebrating, and being horrified.

What is wrong with people?

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 03-01-2012, 07:13 PM

Personally I'm just totally put-off by all the people tweeting about how Obama killed him. 9_9

25 People Who Think President Obama Killed Andrew Breitbart

Glass
*^_^*

Old 03-02-2012, 01:05 AM

As opposed to the people who said that "right wing conspirators" killed Ted Kennedy?

You have to expect crazy people to come out of the woodwork whenever someone famous dies, but the people tweeting things like "goodbye dickhead" are disgusting. There's no getting around it, and I find it much worse.

Celebrating when someone dies, merely because they disagreed with you politically, is sick. There can be no argument against that point. At least not a sane one.

ElysiumFate
There is beauty everywhere.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:38 AM

I have to admit, if I had been around during Hitler's reign, I would have thrown a freaking party when reports started coming out that he was dead. Osama Bin Laden got a hurrah from me, too, as I've had family members severely injured in the "war against terrorism"--more like a war for oil, but that's off topic.

But I think it's intrinsically wrong to celebrate a death, no matter whose it is. Disrespecting the dead is also reprehensible.

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 03-03-2012, 05:06 AM

I think it depends on the context of "celebration," though. I mean, it's very clear that, in this case, the celebration is of the "good riddance" sort. However, in some cultures (or even some churches) a celebration of death is a celebration that the person who passed away is no longer suffering or in pain.

My dad has told me specifically that he wants a party instead of a funeral. And he wants us to BBQ, put on good music, shoot off fireworks, all that kind of stuff. He figures he'll die from something awful like cancer so to just be happy that he's not struggling against a horrible disease anymore.

So, I wouldn't say that celebrating death is intrinsically wrong; it really is context-dependent.

(But I don't think that this case fits into the "good kind" of celebrating, just to be clear)

ElysiumFate

Old 03-03-2012, 05:12 AM

I knew I should've posted something about Dia de los Muertos, and celebrating a person's life, as being exceptions. :sweat:

I just meant that I find it intrinsically wrong to celebrate the fact that someone is dead, and to be ecstatic about it, in a malicious way.

Glass
*^_^*

Old 03-03-2012, 05:34 AM

I believe that celebrations of the dead, like Samhain or the day of the dead, are exceptions of course. When it comes to wakes and funerals, you are really celebrating their life more than their death, so I'd say it's not quite the same.

Liquid Diamond
Ich bin die morgen stern!

Old 03-03-2012, 05:59 AM

It always makes me kind of sad when I see Westboro Baptists picketing a random soldier's death. Like someone who died in Iraq and came home to be laid to rest... and a group of people are standing outside the church or they're right next to the burial service with signs that say "thank God for dead soldiers!"

They make me a tad pissed off, especially because freedom of speech is totally legal and they're not doing anything "wrong".

I'm really upset just typing about them!

ElysiumFate

Old 03-03-2012, 06:14 AM

On a similar note to that, the people who pray outside of abortion clinics kinda tweak me off. I'm not starting a debate on abortion, I just think that you don't need to make a woman feel worse about her decision to have an abortion by standing out there and making the sign of the cross at her when she goes in and leaves.

Glass
*^_^*

Old 03-03-2012, 06:37 AM

The really hilarious part is that these people in a lot of cases think they're Christian.

Somehow I don't think Jesus would be proud of them.

Kriemedesan
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-24-2012, 12:39 PM

Like it was said above: context. I would not be happy that someone died--it's never good--but I would feel satisfied that justice was done to a murderer or relieved that a dictator could no longer hurt others. Those are simply examples and would include anyone doing wrong, no matter how minute. I think a lot of people feel this way.

However, picketing at a funeral is disgusting and cheering about the death of a man is uncalled for.

Glass
*^_^*

Old 05-26-2012, 08:20 AM

My thoughts exactly.

Rukia Kuchiki-
*^_^*
Send a message via MSN to Rukia Kuchiki-

Old 06-12-2012, 04:16 PM

I'm not sure, I mean, there are a few people (no one that I know personally) that I wouldn't blink twice upon seeing their death or others that I'd be genuinely upset about their death. But there are also others that I might actually say "good riddance" and even throw a party upon their death. It really depends on the person.

Crimson Fang
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to Crimson Fang Send a message via MSN to Crimson Fang

Old 06-12-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriemedesan View Post
Like it was said above: context. I would not be happy that someone died--it's never good--but I would feel satisfied that justice was done to a murderer or relieved that a dictator could no longer hurt others. Those are simply examples and would include anyone doing wrong, no matter how minute. I think a lot of people feel this way.

However, picketing at a funeral is disgusting and cheering about the death of a man is uncalled for.
Your implication seems to be that people who celebrated his death were not doing so for the reasons you identify as justifiable.

Glass
*^_^*

Old 06-13-2012, 03:57 AM

Is there a problem with that?

Smores
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-13-2012, 07:39 AM

Well is this not like the whole "War On Terrorism" ordeal?
They (As in the United States Seals/Military) kill the "Big Bad Guy" and people cheer in the streets, have parades...etc.
Sure, he was obviously not the worlds nicest man alive.
But really? That is disgusting disrespectful and completely void of any form of tact.
It is barbaric.

I think celebrating the death of ANY individual is wrong. Period.
If that person is a serial rapist, a crazy psychopathic killer, dictator....etc - and is put to death? Sure. I am not saying that sometimes I disagree that the death penalty is a legitimate option.

But "justice" (Come on, its still iffy...) is served in a sense. There is no need to get drunk and celebrate like its the 4th of July.
I think thats kinda crossing the line...

Just how I see it.

Alexandrus Gambino
(^._.^)ノ

Old 06-15-2012, 10:56 AM

To be honest, I don't know who this guy is. But if he's anything like that Fred Phelps guy, I'd be celebrating too.

Glass
*^_^*

Old 06-16-2012, 06:30 AM

Not even close, and even the association would be considered an insult. Felps is a madman, who makes religious people look like a bunch of nuts, while not actually following the religion he claims to believe in. I dislike him greatly, but I still wouldn't celebrate his death.

I might breathe a sigh of relief that there was one less person like him in the world, but I surely wouldn't celebrate the way people were when Breitbart died.

Rukia Kuchiki-
*^_^*
Send a message via MSN to Rukia Kuchiki-

Old 06-17-2012, 04:47 PM

I wouldn't mind celebrating that idiot's death -.- Although, I'd be more likely to eat ice cream over it then make a huge deal out of it..

Crimson Fang
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to Crimson Fang Send a message via MSN to Crimson Fang

Old 06-26-2012, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
Is there a problem with that?
I accidentally mistook you as being the post's author. Consequently I was alluding to a contradiction which does not exist. :sweat:

Edit:
While I did not celebrate his death. Although I was certainly unimpressed with the role he played in political dialogue. To say he was a disingenuous actor would be an understatement.

Last edited by Crimson Fang; 06-26-2012 at 04:47 AM..

Glass
*^_^*

Old 06-26-2012, 11:43 PM

That could be said of almost any political commentator though. Couldn't it? They function on controversy, so their political opposition will always see them as being jerks. That's just how it is.

Anzelthur
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-28-2012, 11:01 AM

I don't think celebrating anyone's death is any good, even if it was Satan himself's death. I agree that some deaths could be necessary or justified but celebrating that someone has lost their life? No. I apologise for this, I was disgusted when people cheered and celebrated when Osama had been murdered.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 06-29-2012, 01:53 AM

I did privately celebrate at the death of Bin Ladden, I apologize, but its true I wont lie. The man was responsible for killing thousands of innocent people. He deserved to die.

However, this guy your talking about I personally don't know his point of view. I stopped listening to politics....it really comes down to who's the better bullshitter anyways. However, a political view should not mean the celebration of his death.