iamnotspam
\ (•◡•) /
Banned

Old 04-23-2013, 01:55 AM

I am looking for a fun and active group roleplay with friendly people that doesn't require a mile-long post to play.

The * means that I don't really care if a roleplay includes these species/classes,
but I will never play any roleplay that is strictly for and/or otherwise all about that species or class.

Also please keep in mind that I always play a straight female character and I will never make any exceptions.

I don't mind if a roleplay crosses genres;
and here are the types I like:

--Adventure
--Anime
--College
--Drama
--Fantasy
--Historical Fantasy
--Mystery
--Ninja *
--Romance
--Science Fiction
--Star Trek

Roleplays I have never tried
but wouldn't mind trying:

--Alien *
--Furry *
--Mermaid *
--Parallel Universe
--Pirate *
--War

Roleplay Genres I Absolutely
Refuse To Ever Play:

--Horror
--Twilight
--Vampire *
--Werecat *
--Werewolf *

Why I don't find so-called "Semi-Literate" or "Literate" Roleplays fun.

SPOILERX

I'm sure I can hear the grumbling thoughts of some of you, thinking:
"What's wrong with semi-literacy? What, can't she spell and use good grammar?"
Of course I can; I just don't necessarily like people imposing things upon me.
Also, I am slightly insulted whenever I see in a post "this roleplay is semi-literate. That means you have to post in paragraphs."

In my honest opinion, that is not true.
"Why isn't it true?", you ask?
Allow me to explain:
Quote:
Originally Posted by www.m-w.com
DEFINITION OF LITERATE
1 a : educated, cultured
b : able to read and write
2 a : versed in literature or creative writing : literary
b : lucid, polished <a literate essay>
c : having knowledge or competence <computer-literate> <politically literate>
Quote:
Originally Posted by www.m-w.com
DEFINTION OF SEMILITERATE
1 a : able to read and write on an elementary level
b : able to read but unable to write
2 : having limited knowledge or understanding

I know that some people genuinely believe that semi-literate means posting in paragraphs, for whatever reason (maybe that's the way they learned it?);
yet nowhere in either of those definitions does it say that you have to post in paragraphs to be semi-literate.
Now before you go on to say "But elementary students can write in paragraphs!",
sure they can write that much but it has no bearing on whether they are or aren't any amount of literate.
As you can tell from the definitions, semi-literacy has to do with how well you read and write
(a.k.a. vocabulary and grammar and general comprehension skills) --
not with the length of your writing.
A child could write out a page of misspelled words, but that won't make them semi-literate.

If you want people to write in paragraphs, then I doubt what you're looking for is semi-literacy;
what you're actually looking for, I think, is a roleplay that doesn't move at a snail's pace
because everybody is waiting on everybody else to make That One Big Thing happen,
which can be quite the thrill-killer when and if the "star character" suddenly logs off and/or doesn't return for a while.
In fact, you don't even have to be the "host" of the roleplay to be the "star character" --
any "star character" is really just the character(s) that makes things happen in the roleplay at least half the time,
while most of the characters seem to have no direction if left to themselves, even as a group.
Then again, there are some roleplays that intentionally have "star characters" --
for example, roleplays akin
to the stories of Naruto or Frodo or even Robin Hood with his band of merry men. XD
Still, a star character should never 'steal the show'; and a lot of people find it boring
when their character is the only one bringing life to the roleplay.
However, if a roleplay does have "star characters" and it's not intentional for the storyline,
then the players who aren't playing the "lead characters" may either be extremely new to roleplaying
or may not have had much experience or even any experience in roleplays that don't have "star characters";
sometimes knowing 'what to do' in a situation comes more with experience than with imagination anyway.

(By the way, if you're a new rp'er and you just read this, not all roleplayers think this way;
also: if you find yourself "lost" in a roleplay without another character leading it, then unless that's intentional in the roleplay
then just have your character do something, even if it's just gazing at the sky -- this will keep things moving forward
and you may find yourself suddenly coming up with a great idea that brings life back into the roleplay
or sparking a thought in someone else's mind that can keep life flowing through the roleplay. )

Unfortunately, most of the online roleplays I've participated in have either died out (gone inactive) or just become really stupid;
however, the ones I like to participate in don't require ten million words per post and still there was no "star character"
because everyone's characters do things when they can that keep the story moving along.

P.S. @My Friends; I needseth a bumpseth -- or referenseths for role-playseths. :P

Last edited by iamnotspam; 05-07-2013 at 04:03 PM..