Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 03-26-2014, 04:37 AM

So the marketing for this show completely failed. I avoided this show for years because I thought it was some "omg im so special and quirky" type of manic pixie dream girl fest. But a couple weeks ago I gave into curiosity, watched an episode, and got hooked. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that Jess is never shown to be "special," and, in fact, is often shown as naive for her twee-ness. She has faults, and isn't two-dimensional - not too twee to get shitfaced in a drinking game. She just embraces who she is, and that's cool. So, yadda yadda, I watched three seasons in about as many weeks. DON'T JUDGE ME!

So now for tonight's episode...

Did that make sense to anyone at all? It seemed like it was coming totally out of nowhere for the sake of ~drama~. Seriously, they had been so cute and happy and in love, and now a break up? I know they'll probably put them back together, but couldn't a couple on TV just for once not have to do that Ross & Rachel bullshit? Couldn't we just have a couple that's happy and in love and talks through their problems like adults instead of having epic blowouts twice a season? WHYYYYYY.

pumpkins
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-26-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Couldn't we just have a couple that's happy and in love and talks through their problems like adults instead of having epic blowouts twice a season?
Reminds me of HIMYM Lily and Marshall, (nevermind the one time they broke up) I paid attention to it because most tv couples do that Ross & Rachel bullshit. Very refreshing.

But yes I was surprised too, first I thought they were just going through the stages of hangover but I guess it escalated from there.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 03-26-2014, 09:26 PM

Good point, there is Lily and Marshall. And I really like them and their relationship. I mean, except for that one breakup. That was weird. But we need more Lily and Marshalls! More relationship icons!

I feel like being in the middle of a hangover isn't the best time to be making decisions like that. I kind of hope that in a couple episodes they will go "OH MY THAT WAS SO STUPID LET'S DATE AGAIN," but at the same time, that's annoying too. Just writing drama and then wiping it away a moment later.

pumpkins
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-27-2014, 12:38 AM

Quote:
And I really like them and their relationship.
Me too! It just makes you feel happy to see them high five about stuff. They are written to be the "perfect couple" with just a hint of realism so it feels right. Well at least it works on me haha.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 03-27-2014, 02:14 AM

Honestly, with how many young adults I see constantly breaking up and getting back together with "the love of their life," I start to wonder if TV written to be dramatic has created a bad role model for people. Fights happen sometimes, but if you're calling off your engagement every other month, it's not right. That's not a healthy relationship. More healthy relationships on TV! More Nick & Jess before last night!