Pistachio_Moustache
Thief of Your Intellectual Prope...

Penpal

Old 05-05-2014, 03:01 PM

The thought occurred to me a while back that we should sticky the newblet hangouts in the Fresh Meat forum, so they are easy to find.

New Beginnings Newbie Adoption Agency
Newbie R Us
New Friends Hangout
Newbie Boarding House

Also, so they don't disappear and die when they leave the first page by accident.
xD

Last edited by Pistachio_Moustache; 05-05-2014 at 03:04 PM..

onsenmark
Walküre ga tomaranai!
Penpal
Send a message via AIM to onsenmark Send a message via Yahoo to onsenmark

Old 05-05-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistachio_Moustache View Post
The thought occurred to me a while back that we should sticky the newblet hangouts in the Fresh Meat forum, so they are easy to find.

New Beginnings Newbie Adoption Agency
Newbie R Us
New Friends Hangout
Newbie Boarding House

Also, so they don't disappear and die when they leave the first page by accident.
xD

^ This. ^

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 05-05-2014, 03:34 PM

I believe we've not done this before because stickies could come across as intimidating for new users.
Stickied hangouts would also be where the quick-but-important-stuff stickies are, inflating the sticky area and making it appear as too much too soon and very likely prone to being overlooked.
And of course, there's also the fact that these hangouts aren't official hangouts. They're user/personally run. To start making some stickied means that we would have to be open to others as well and then more closely monitor them.

But! Maybe we could still figure something out. Maybe these are things that aren't as dire as they were before.

Pistachio_Moustache
Thief of Your Intellectual Prope...

Penpal

Old 05-05-2014, 03:36 PM

Or even a sub forum would work!
:o

I didn't think about that.
Making a sub forum for newblet hangouts!
:DD

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-05-2014, 07:17 PM

Time to educate PiM about an illness that is prevalent on forums. It's known as Can't See Stickies Syndrome. It's like an internet form of Macular Degeneration, where people just can't see stuff if it's at the top of the page. Sub-forums suffer from the same fate because they're in the same area. They are also affected by CBA syndrome (can't be arsed) because it's such an effort to click that extra link, you know.

It's difficult to find a middle ground. Particularly as no one thing ever pleased everyone.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 05-14-2014, 10:21 AM

Mmm, I definitely feel that CBA syndrome. That's why the media forum got split up too, isn't it?

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-22-2014, 01:30 PM

Yep. On any forum there will be people who say things like, "there's an _____ forum? o.o How long's that been there?!" About a subforum that's been in existence the entire time they've been a member of the site, they've just never noticed it.

Some of that is also partly down to people's habits of only ever going into certain areas, and the other habit of never venturing out of their subscribed threads and not exploring the forums at all.

I can't help but notice that try as we might to boost activity by creating more places for people to post, it rarely works. The lifestyles section, which generated a lot of excited reaction in its announcement, is mainly full of tumbleweeds. New things, if they do get activity, don't manage to hold onto it. :(

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 05-28-2014, 08:45 AM

I'd noticed that a little too. Not that I go into lifestyles much, as a person who is notoriously bad at keeping to like 3 sections and never moving otherwise unless it's 3am and I'm procrastinating.