~LONGCAT~
is Long

Send a message via AIM to ~LONGCAT~

Old 03-02-2014, 04:47 AM

This is an animated movie, NOT meant for chillens. It's now a cult classic. Made in the 80's as a series of loosely related mini-stories with adult themes. Sex, drugs, rock and roll baby! ;3

This is one of my favorite movies. When I had papers or labs to write in college I would put on this movie. The soundtrack alone is fabtabulous!

Just looking to see if anyone else has seen this or the sequel Heavy Metal 2000, let's be friends.

And for those who haven't seen it... don't judge me. XD

For-Chan Cookie
A Cookie for Fun

Old 03-20-2014, 10:43 PM

I saw this movie back when I was a kid and should not have been watching it. Oops I enjoyed it a lot because it reminded me of anime and I was just starting to get into the genre back then. I think I was sleeping over at my grandmother's house. I'd always stay up late and watch stuff I shouldn't have.

I haven't seen the new one yet. Is it worth watching?

UnluckyClover
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-29-2014, 07:10 AM

Nice, classic 80's film. It's up there with The Rocky Horror Picture Show and The Labyrinth. :D
And I agree, the music was great.

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 03-29-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by For-Chan Cookie View Post
I saw this movie back when I was a kid and should not have been watching it. Oops I enjoyed it a lot because it reminded me of anime and I was just starting to get into the genre back then. I think I was sleeping over at my grandmother's house. I'd always stay up late and watch stuff I shouldn't have.

I haven't seen the new one yet. Is it worth watching?
Eh, kinda. It had a full plot and followed the original comics pretty well. But it's not something that you can just put on and tune out like the first. I didn't like it as much, but I used the first one as background noise for lab papers and essays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnluckyClover View Post
Nice, classic 80's film. It's up there with The Rocky Horror Picture Show and The Labyrinth. :D
And I agree, the music was great.
I'm not sure I'd put it that high in the cult classic scale. Those two are a beast on their own. Both good, but I like labyrinth more. Have to be in the right mood to watch RHPS.

Nugget
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-22-2014, 08:24 PM

YES
Love that movie.
You're all awesome.

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 05-25-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
YES
Love that movie.
You're all awesome.
Let's be friends because you like the same movies as me and because you think I'm awesome, because I am.

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-26-2014, 06:17 AM

I haven't seen Heavy Metal in centuries. But as I recall, it was pretty interesting.

I saw it on Netflix, so I may give it another looksee some time. ;D

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 07-27-2014, 05:57 PM

Watch it! I've been thinking about buying the soundtrack to this movie.

Explodey
rock is dead.long live scissors!

Old 07-30-2014, 12:24 PM

I liked the story with the pilot the most.

There were a bunch of cool cartoon films around that time. Ralph Bakshi had quite a few- 'Fritz the Cat', 'Wizards' and an early tkae of 'Lord of the Rings'. There was also this weird one called 'Rock and Rule' that featured Cheap Trick and Debbie Harry from Blondie as some kind of weird anthro'ed animals that had to fight a villain based on Mick Jagger. The bad guy had the best music too; Lou Reed and Iggy Pop both contributed songs for the baddie to sing.

so I liked 'Heavy Metal' but it was still pretty basic fare for that time. What I did love, and bought monthly, was the Heavy Metal magazine. Some really great artists got started in that publication, including Vaughn Bode. My favourite things in that were by Herikberto and Rod Kierkegaard Jr. To be sure, there were some really cool mags then that have since ceased to be- Omni, Mondo 2000-but altho it is a ghost of what it once was, Heavy Metal still publishes.

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 08-10-2014, 08:26 PM

I use the old Heavy Metal magazines as a source for reference pictures. so many great artists contributed to those.