MercyGrim96
It's tea time!

Old 08-06-2014, 04:06 PM

I have recently found myself addicted to the show Supernatural thanks to Netflix. (No spoilers plz I'm currently at the first ep of season 3) Is anyone else out there a big fan of the show?

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 08-07-2014, 12:10 PM

I've only seen most of Season 9. I got most of my other information on the story and characters from the Supernatural Wiki and reading a shit ton of fanfiction. (where the authors often go through the stuff they went through in the show, so I got the gist of a lot of the episodes from them...)

Can't say if I'm 'addicted' or not, though I'm quite looking forward to Season 10 which I hear is coming out in October this year.

Who're your favorite characters so far? I like Castiel and Gabriel. (not sure when Gabriel shows up...actually, he shows up pretty early if I remember, it's just that his identity isn't out until after a while...season 5 or something I think?)

MercyGrim96
It's tea time!

Old 08-07-2014, 04:26 PM

Dean and Cas are my favourites

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 08-07-2014, 04:45 PM

Who are your least favorite characters? I don't know many of the major villains in the series beyond the ones that will be appearing in season either 4 or 5, so the only big antagonist (lol) I know is from Season 9, and I really, really don't like him.

MercyGrim96
It's tea time!

Old 08-08-2014, 05:01 PM

jake because he was a jerk when sam was trying to be his friend and he put into motion the opening of the gate to hell. But on the other hand without that happening there wouldn't have been a twist in the story (i'm in season three right now I'm prolly gonna watch the whole season today haha)

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 08-09-2014, 04:32 AM

...I unfortunately have no idea who Jake is, so I guess he either didn't play that big a part in the series, or didn't leave a big enough impression with the fans. I really need to start watching the seasons...I have Season 1 and 2 in my computer files but I never got around to watching them.

Explodey
rock is dead.long live scissors!

Old 08-14-2014, 05:41 PM

I go through phases where I watch the syndicated rerun religiously every morning/early afternoon, and then suddenly it just stops being megarelevant, and I end up with a squazillion back eps tivoed and no urge to go back in.

I utterly despised the show in my BtVS/AtS fandom phase. Supernatural would play in a lineup with Angel the Series and Charmed, respectively, and I despised Charmed so I figured this was more of the same.

Then i joined tumblr and saw the mad fandom for spn going on there and gave it another try.

For me it doesn't get really worth watching until about season 4 or so, because my favourite character is Castiel.

I almost gave up on it before Castiel turned up. Because for me, my least favourite character is and always will be Dean.

Dean is abusive, violent, stubborn, and an alcoholic. All things I despise in anyone. It just seems the entire show is Dean, abusing Sam, and pushing away anyone else who is ever nice to them (granted, that may be a good thing, since most of their road-friends end up slaughtered by demons sooner or later...) Think about the beginning, season 1. There's Sam, having some relative success. He's in school to be a lawyer. he has a girlfriend. Then his mysterious drifter brother turns up, yells at him until he realises Sam has folk who care for him there, and then hems and haws about 'Dad is missing, he's gone hunting." Same seems sort of embarassed his brother has turned up. It seems likely he's going to sit this one out. and then....

and then the demon Dean is hunting immolates Sam's girlfriend. His whole world of not-a-Hunter lifestyle falls apart, and he winds up stuck with his brother, who mistrusts him, yells at him, beats him more than periodically.....

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 08-15-2014, 09:13 AM

lol Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Dean either. And I think the Dean-ness you described will only get worse in Season 10 considering his circumstances...

...Everyone the three of them get to know do seem to end up quite dead one way or another, doesn't it. And it's only because the three of them are the three of them that they're not remaining dead either.

Explodey
rock is dead.long live scissors!

Old 08-15-2014, 10:29 AM

Yeah, the cheating-deathness of those guys does get a bit redundant. I mean, granted, like said I arrived via the Buffy/Angel fandom, and no few times those characters got zippy with their 'get out of death free' cards but..... sheesh.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 08-15-2014, 12:32 PM

Their line of job is pretty dangerous so I'm not surprised they keep ending up dead. I'm not sure how many times they've died exactly...I know Dean and Sam returned the first time around because of the whole vessels thing, though I'm not sure if they've died and came back again after that besides Dean's Cain thing. I think Castiel keeps returning because he's popular with the fans...not sure if Sam dies again next time what kind of reason they're going to use to bring him back besides Dean pitching a fit about it and getting someone to do it.