Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 05-18-2014, 04:44 AM

I just got through with watching the movie Her, about the man that falls in love with his operating system. I think in many ways it was the weirdest movie I've ever seen and I can't be sure how I feel about it. It was very intelligent and thought provoking. As a writer, it gives me a lot of inspiration and propells me toward plots I was already interested in. As a story and a viewing pleasure, I'm kinda eh about. I spent a lot of time during the movie on my laptop to pass the time. Overall, I'm pretty sure I liked it?

Has anyone else seen it and what did you think?
Does a movie have be interesting to watch or is it okay if only the words are interesting?
A movie isn't a book. I wouldn't ask this question if it were. Its a different experience. I felt like in was listening to a book.

And that ending, man...
Any interpretations?

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 06-02-2014, 09:29 AM

I've seen this. As you said, I also thought it was very thought-provoking. I thought the ending was pretty suitable. Realistic in a way, you know? Or something like that.
I enjoyed seeing the hurdles their relationship had as well as the ways to get around them.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-02-2014, 09:42 AM

Do you think they jumped at the end of the movie? It doesn't shown it but thats what I imagined. I always imagine on the dark end of the spectrum though. Half the movies I've watched lately, I interpret it ends in death.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 08-25-2014, 02:14 AM

I found Her quite moving. I think it is currently the most sophisticated examination of human/AI relationships that I've seen in film. Throughout the film I was impressed with the progression of the relationship. On the one hand, they went through a very normal, predictable set of ups and downs, but at each point, the film explored the way things were different, not normal, and unique to a human/AI pairing. I also appreciated that they didn't fall into the temptation of lingering or stopping at any of those points, but pushed all the way through to the logical conclusion.

Looking at the movie from a totally different view point, I really appreciated Theodore's character for presenting such an unusual version of masculinity. He didn't fall into any of the usual movie tropes; he wasn't a rom-com stud, or a frumpy nice guy, or a nerd, or a hero, or any of those things. He played video games, but he wasn't a gamer; he was creative but not an artist. He was sensitive, and that was just part of his masculinity, not something he was masculine in spite of. And I think the women characters defied stereotype as well; I appreciated how many women there were, and how unique and autonomous they all were.

There is that scene when Theodore's co-worker compliments him on the letters he writes and says "You are part man and part woman. Like there's an inner part that's woman. ... It's a compliment." I was really stunned by that moment. In some ways, I think that's what the movie is really about, that Theodore's relationships with the women characters are metaphorical for the psychological journey of a man getting in touch with his femininity. Theodore is already fairly feminine to begin with (compared to our cultural standards) but it was a fraught relationship. By the end, I think he's healed that pain, grown and become more at ease, more accepting and compassionate towards other, and himself.

*cough* Umm, I'll stop ranting now.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-25-2014, 02:18 AM

I think those are interesting interpretations. I did notice that the movie left behind stereotypical roles and the rather natural instead of movie trope characters. I didn't really think about it though. I can definitely appreciate that the movie did that.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 08-25-2014, 02:24 AM

I'm pretty interested in gender norms and representations in media, so I was very impressed and appreciative of Her in that respect.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-25-2014, 02:27 AM

My best friend talks about that a lot to me. I don't look for it as my first thing. I like to focus on a unique story line and some real creativity. Certainly seeing non-norms helps those areas though.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 08-25-2014, 02:38 AM

Oh, I am all about story first too. ^^ Analysis stuff comes later. Gender is just one of my main focuses when I get to the analysis stage, whereas some people pay more attention to politics, music, cinematography, or something like that.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-25-2014, 02:44 AM

ah yeah, even if you pointed cinematography out to me, I'd never notice. I'll pay attention to characters and relationships and the break down of that first. Then something like gender maybe. Well, I don't analyze often at all. Her is just a movie that lends itself to it. I could probably watch it a couple more times and find new things to think about.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 08-25-2014, 02:54 AM

Yeah, it did lend itself to analysis, it was a very thoughtful film. I know I'm going to enjoy re-watching it in the future.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-25-2014, 03:41 AM

I guess I will have to convince someone to buy it for me. My family found it interesting, though as usual, they were more confused by movies than I. I'll be watching it again myself.

Alexander J Luthor
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-25-2014, 06:50 AM

Wait, is this that movie with the guy wearing a red shirt and an ascot on the cover? *googles* Oh my gaaaaaaaaaaaawd it iiiiiiiiis. I wanna see this so bad! Nostalgia Critic mentioned this as one of the best weird romances in one of his videos, but I didn't know it was the same thing. *literally just watched the trailer since he had only ever seen the movie cover before* Oh crap, now I want to read this thread, but I don't want to spoil it for myself either. Struggles...

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-25-2014, 05:27 PM

I don't think anything said here was too spoilery. We've just talked about the sort of movie it is. I think? You should totally watch it though. (Was the guy really wearing an ascot? I don't remember that)