salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 03-10-2016, 03:26 AM

Have you ever read a book more than once? If so, what inspired you to re-read the book? How many times have you read your favorite book? And what books have you re-read? What is the most number of re-reads you have given a book?

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 03-10-2016, 07:32 AM

Lots of books! I'm an english major, so I have to re-read books for the examination of them. Also, I love to reread my favourites and find new details in them or just relive the sense of peace I get from already knowing what happens.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 03-10-2016, 05:04 PM

The Lord of the Rings series (including the hobbit) is the first book to come to mind. It was my bedtime story growing up and has amazing writing, so I've read through it a number of times I can't really track.

dapperlace
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-11-2016, 05:11 PM

I don't currently have a favorite book, but I've read the Harry Potter series multiple times. It's the series that got me into reading in the first place, and I have a signed copy of The Deathly Hallows.

I tend to re-read a lot of books, though. Almost everything I own I've read at least twice.

Rosen

Old 03-13-2016, 04:09 PM

I also read through Harry Potter more than once, mainly because I adored the series and it was an escape for me as a child.

Otherwise, the only thing I've ever re-read beyond that has been Mangas.

Generally, I find it really hard to re-read a book because I get bored since I know what is happening next.

Sun
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via MSN to Sun

Old 03-14-2016, 06:57 AM

Not re reading books is a habit that is quite a long standing one with me, but i've recently started going over my Discworld collection, and i'll probably end up going through the rest of my collection at some point, mostly because I've run out of space to store any new books!

pepperp0ts
zatapathique! lol * saving gold

Old 03-21-2016, 04:33 AM

Yep! It's The Catcher In The Rye and I thought of re-reading the book because I quite relate with the narrator which is also the main character, Holden. I think I've read it thrice now. I've done the same with The Perks of Being A Wallflower too.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal
Send a message via Yahoo to Shadami

Old 04-13-2016, 08:03 PM

I've re read all the tamora pierce books ( haven't had the same pleasure with her short stories though) and I've re-read the harry potter series several times as well.

There are also a ton of books I'd like to re-read for nostalgia purposes. Ones that I read as a kid, like the pendragon.... oh wait.. pretty sure that's the name of it. . . it was a world travel series, really cool. Artemis fowl series, this series i need to find the name of again but it was about 2 cousins, the boys name was julian, and they found a town lost on the edge of a swamp that used to be a beautiful lake. It's fantastic.

And of course, I re read a bunch of childrens books.

The Wandering Poet: how is LOTR? I have not actually managed to get very far into it :/ but because i enjoyed the movies... after finally seeing them when the new hobbit came out ^^;; heh.. heh.... I thought I should try to give it another shot.

---------- Post added 04-13-2016 at 04:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearzy View Post
Lots of books! I'm an english major, so I have to re-read books for the examination of them. Also, I love to reread my favourites and find new details in them or just relive the sense of peace I get from already knowing what happens.
Bearzy:

is one of them flowers for algernon? and there was one i read that was about a ship captain or something being hunted on an island by a crazy hunter guy. I remember those and i remember loving them. I'd probably read them again.

which reminds me of 10 little indians which i ended up picking up in a yard sale i think.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 04-13-2016, 11:29 PM

No I haven't read those books, actually. I take it they're good? What's Flowers for Algernon about?

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 04-13-2016, 11:54 PM

its actually super sad... :[ its about.. mentally... something... oh crap what's it called... his IQ is really low. And they do a bunch of tests and experiments to get his IQ higher. There's a mouse named algernon who is his friend. He gets super smart, and I believe chooses to be dumb again so that he can be happy.

There's a movie on it too.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 04-14-2016, 06:40 AM

Okay so 2 things. First, read one of the older books and not one based off the movie. Second, do NOT read the silmarillion first. It almost put me to sleep by page 2.

But one thing to keep in mind, start with the hobbit, and keep an open mind, as the story is very different from the movies and much more depth. Also... certain pesky people weren't supposed to be in the hobbit >.>"

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 04-14-2016, 01:26 PM

is the hobbit like the animated version? cause i saw that years before lord of the rings was a thing on screen. What's the silmarillion?
what i have in my house is this big thick black book which i think is the name sake of the three LOTR movies.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 04-14-2016, 04:42 PM

It's relatively similar to the animated film yeah. No big romance arc, no legolas at every turn, and there's so much more detail in my opinion.

the silmarillion is basically a history book of middle earth in novel form.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 04-14-2016, 05:19 PM

Ah okay. Yeah i won't be able to read that one for a long time. History books are not my thing.

i don't remember legolas even being in the animated movie. and i haven't seen him in the new movies. he wasn't in the first one was he?

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 04-14-2016, 09:42 PM

No but legolas and tons of romance were in the movie for some reason. I don't know if he was in the first one but he was in the second and third a ton... too much. He also played bard... so basically he was dual characterizing and it was really uncomfortable...

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 04-14-2016, 10:20 PM

I haven't actually seen the 2nd and 3rd yet ^^;;; i'm really slow at doing anything with the Tolkein stuff... I like it, but it doesn't jump out at me like "oh gods you ahve to read and watch this naow!"

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 04-14-2016, 10:21 PM

Yeah... when you do I recommend viewing them as separate stories really. They are that different in my opinion. Smaug was pretty cool though.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 04-14-2016, 10:25 PM

different from the books you mean right? I tend to go into all movies that way anyways because its a different constraint that can be reached for each. But I will try to give the books a second or third.. or whatever number they're on chance. I've been very hesitant about picking them up again. Pretty sure they're on my brothers book shelf and he's not home for the rest of the month. So maybe i'll just go in and borrow it.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 04-15-2016, 01:52 AM

Yeah, though the cartoon was pretty close in my opinion.
They are definitely a good read. They were my bedtime stories growing up and I've heard them read to me more times than I have read them myself.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 04-15-2016, 12:42 PM

the cartoon scared me when i was little. I think that's why i never put much effort into watching the movies or reading the books. I've added it to my list of must reads though. Thanks for the tips on it ^^

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 04-15-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wandering Poet View Post
No but legolas and tons of romance were in the movie for some reason. I don't know if he was in the first one but he was in the second and third a ton... too much. He also played bard... so basically he was dual characterizing and it was really uncomfortable...
It's actually a separate actor for Bard! He just looks eerily similar! The guy who plays Bard is Luke Evans. I can see why you would think they were both Orlando Bloom though. Bard looks a lot like Will Turner from Pirates of the Caribbean.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 04-15-2016, 01:06 PM

orlando bloom looks like a lot of people. This is true. I've noticed that before. xD

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 04-15-2016, 04:58 PM

Interesting... that is something I didn't know... they practically sounded the same too.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 04-16-2016, 12:02 PM

oh that's crazy!! maybe one of them practiced to soundlike the other xD lol

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 04-25-2016, 09:32 PM

I always re-read the stories I like. Especially the ones I bought. It makes me feel I make the money spent worth. lol.
But I do tend to re-read stories because I am so picky with my stories, the stories I like I do really love them to death!
So, that is why spoiler never deter me from watching/reading a story.