hanahaki disease
wistful

Old 05-10-2017, 03:15 AM

I don't know if this merits its own thread, as it responds to existing threads about decline in site activity and how to remedy it, but I thought it needs to be discussed. I know people didn't make use of the Mene Messenger when it was a feature. At all. But I think (and I'd like others' feedback on why they didn't find it worth using, because this is just my own opinion) that it was mainly the lack of gold earning in the Messenger that encouraged people to post in the forums instead. I would personally enjoy such a feature because of the immediacy of conversation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeapear
The speed at which communication happens on here, at least in my experience, tends to be very unnaturally slow, which makes it very hard to have normal conversations.
I like the forums, but especially since the site has slowed down such a lot, it can take a day or more to get a response after you post, and that can get pretty boring.

I think it could be a good idea for the Messenger to have the added functionality of gold earning- but it needn't discourage people from posting in the forums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wandering Poet
Give the chatroom a lower gold gain as compared, as it's easier to get gold on?
Or maybe even a gold cap like with the games.

Also, making it a public chatroom, where all users can post, allowing newbies to get help as well.
If it has lower gold gain or a gold cap, it is enough incentive to use the messenger without discouraging posting in the forums. If there was chatting in the Mene Messenger, the site would appear less slow, more lively and active, and would contribute to newbies staying. Also, not only would it make it easier for people who are online at the same time to chat, rather than them having to find a thread more than one of them frequent, it would also encourage people to chat outside of their 'cliques' or comfort zones. So it'd make the site seem friendlier for newbies especially as they're likely to get quicker or more immediate welcomes and help. (Here I'm extrapolating Poet's suggestion to make it a public chatroom; I imagine it similar to a shoutbox. I don't know how the Messenger was like because it was scrapped before I had a chance to ever try using it. If it involved chat channels with individual users or groups, I think that might still be helpful as long as there is also a public, Mene-wide channel. I have no idea what the Messenger was like though so I'd appreciate if someone could describe it as well as why they didn't end up using it.)

Since the Mene Messenger is already an existing feature, already coded, I'm guessing it wouldn't take too much work to implement it again, although including gold earning as a functionality would take work and I can't estimate how much... but I think it'd be worth it and is at least worth a try. What do y'all think?

Last edited by hanahaki disease; 05-10-2017 at 03:25 AM..

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 05-11-2017, 01:45 PM

One thing I would like to add to this, is that it I very often see help posts wasting away for sometimes a day sometimes hours before ever getting a reply. This will discourage a user from staying. If they can pop in the chatroom and ask that would greatly improve their chances of getting help and staying.

As for how it was like... despite opening it many times not a single user ever used it so I wasn't even sure if it worked. I was a lot quieter back then though and would surely be willing to make the first post now.

Kent
owo

Penpal

Old 05-12-2017, 10:40 PM

I'm pretty sure the mene messenger was an app created by facebook. And I think Mene had to keep paying for it? So it might've become too costly?? I'm really not sure, though. Back when it was around I used it all the time to chat with my sister. Never was interested in using the public one though. I imagine it'd be good for quick roleplaying too.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 05-13-2017, 12:50 AM

Made by facebook? Huh. I hadn't heard anything like that. The one on the bottom right of the screen?

Kent
owo

Penpal

Old 05-13-2017, 02:08 AM

Yep. It's just the facebook messenger seemed so similar to it that I guess I might have thought they were the same thing? Eh.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 05-13-2017, 04:03 AM

Maybe. Though it would seem like such a simple thing to code. Curious to see a staff member's input on this. (Like yan)

Car'a'Carn
Berries & Cream!

Penpal
Assistant Administrator

Old 05-20-2017, 03:29 AM

Heyo! I read though your post and I totally remember the messenger feature back from years ago! I actually used that a lot back in the day :P I think it was a pretty fun feature too

Thank you for bringing this to the Staff's attention! We will certainly take this into consideration!

hanahaki disease
wistful

Old 05-21-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car'a'Carn View Post
Heyo! I read though your post and I totally remember the messenger feature back from years ago! I actually used that a lot back in the day :P I think it was a pretty fun feature too

Thank you for bringing this to the Staff's attention! We will certainly take this into consideration!
Thank you so much! I'm glad to hear that someone found it useful and fun, and I love how responsive y'all are

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 05-21-2017, 02:17 PM

This is definitely interesting information to me... because I had heard from staff nobody used it, but it seems people did actually use it.

Edit - It would be nice if a staff member could give some input in regards to if this would require coding or flipping an already coded switch.

Last edited by The Wandering Poet; 05-23-2017 at 05:57 AM..

monstahh`
faerie graveyard

Old 05-25-2017, 01:23 PM

I don't remember ever using it. I think because at least in part, it did not work. *really don't remember strongly tho*

I don't think adding a private chat client would be the best way to get more activity on the site, which i think is what the main goal is. more views more posts more people more links more money
I think thats why pages are so long now, because they were only getting partial hits from search bots, ie they were only reading page one of a thread, instead of the whole thing which would cause a lot more hits.

at least I think thats what happened, someone correct me if i'm wrong

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 05-25-2017, 02:03 PM

Monstahh - I was thinking making it a fully public messenger. Like an open chatroom. If we had that we may be able to make Menewsha seem more active, and so new users will be able to talk and chat much easier.

The first step to building our population is keeping new users, but we have a big issue of being unable to reply to new users in a timely manner. The messenger allows them to be able to talk to someone with just a few seconds of signing up. The forums on the other hand can be a few minutes, to a few hours of waiting.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-26-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wandering Poet View Post
This is definitely interesting information to me... because I had heard from staff nobody used it, but it seems people did actually use it.

Edit - It would be nice if a staff member could give some input in regards to if this would require coding or flipping an already coded switch.
As with all features there are some users who will use them even if it's only a handful. I can't speak from a staff perspective as I wasn't on staff back then but personally I only used the chat once or twice to see what it was about but didn't see the point of it when it didn't earn gold.

The messenger something is something that could likely be reimplemented if it is decided that it would be beneficial to the site however I can say that there is no way to add any sort of gold earning aspect to it without extensive coding.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 05-26-2017, 07:03 PM

Zig - I ended up not using it because I thought it was broken. The cat was completely empty forever for me.

In regards to the messenger. Was it a public chatroom or just for whisper sorts of things?

I would definitely use it if I knew how it worked.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-29-2017, 12:41 AM

As far as I remember it was a whisper sort of thing that you could only use to chat with one friend at a time but I could be wrong...

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 05-29-2017, 12:47 AM

So that's why it wasn't working....
I was thinking it was some sort of public chatroom.

hanahaki disease
wistful

Old 05-29-2017, 01:31 PM

A public chatroom would be perfect. And perhaps without including any sort of private channels because people have their private hangouts anyway. It could be a shoutbox kind of thing... of course this means it would need to be coded from scratch

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 05-29-2017, 02:23 PM

Well, there is an "oldschool" style of chatroom menewsha may be able to impliment with little need for heavy coding. Since it will not include goldearning.

It was called an IRC chat I believe. They can to my knowledge be imbedded into websites. I think the majority of coding would be to link a username to it.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal
Send a message via Yahoo to Shadami

Old 06-04-2017, 09:05 PM

My vague recollection of it was a whisper thing and I always preferred to chat in the forums.

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 06-08-2017, 02:12 PM

No one ever wanted to chat with me in messenger....I was super shy and didn't know many people....so I always preferred the forums as well.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-08-2017, 04:38 PM

So I was the only person on the site who didn't know how it worked...

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal
Send a message via Yahoo to Shadami

Old 06-09-2017, 12:00 AM

not necessarily. i'm sure there are a bunch of people who didn't know. they're just not posting in this thread :D and maybe didn't even know it existed. :3