Namune
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-10-2019, 03:44 AM

So I've decided to make a log of everything I'm reading, both in part to share with everyone here, and to encourage myself to actually READ the ridiculous number of books I have in this apartment that is entirely too small to be holding all this paper. After finishing each book I'll make a small post with my thoughts, and maybe see if I'm smart enough to link the post to this main.

Who knows? Maybe someone will see this thread and find a story they're interested in thumbing through themselves!

Current Book
"Dear Martin" - by Nic Stone

Previous Reads

Last edited by Namune; 11-10-2019 at 03:51 AM..

Namune
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-10-2019, 03:59 AM

Placeholder ╰(*°▽°*)╯

Namune
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-10-2019, 03:59 AM

Placeholder ╰(*°▽°*)╯

Namune
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-16-2019, 04:37 PM

IT'S BEEN A MONTH AND I HAVEN'T TOUCHED THIS EFFING BOOK. ε=ε=ε=┏(゜ロ゜;)┛

Cinderella
Boop!

Old 12-19-2019, 02:35 PM

Oops?

I really like the idea of this thread and I hope you do pick up that book sometime. :)

Namune
⊙ω⊙

Old 02-28-2020, 01:51 AM

Thanks, Cinderella! Unfortunately I still haven't read anything, which is wild because apparently one of the books on my list is becoming a TV SHOW. It was also exciting to see one of my favorite books from last year on Barack Obama's reading list for 2019. (Pachinko - Min Jin Lee)

At this point I'm hoping if I get my life in order and my house cleaned, I might have time to read when school's out, when I shall not be working any overtime.

Crimson Fang
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to Crimson Fang Send a message via MSN to Crimson Fang

Old 03-06-2020, 03:18 AM

I can really relate to the two sentiments being expressed in this thread. I also have a collection of books which is pushing my available space to it's limits. On just over 1,200 books. Not sure how far over as I have not counted for a few years. Also have a bad habit of not reading anywhere near as much as I would like. I paused my current reading to procrastinate and post in this thread. I wish you luck with finding the time and energy to read!!

Namune
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-08-2020, 05:29 PM

Thanks, Crimson Fang, I'm glad this is so relatable! Otherwise the only option is me being a book hoarder. I think the nice weather has really helped me get into the reading mood.

Last edited by Namune; 03-08-2020 at 06:02 PM..

Namune
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-08-2020, 06:02 PM

"Dear Martin"

So I was reading this book when I decided to search up if it's going to be made a movie any time soon (it's that good) and I'm bothered that someone had the audacity to ban this book from their school because it "made them uncomfortable," to which I say GOOD. Dear Martin by Nic Stone should make a lot of people uncomfortable because it speaks a truth that few in America want to listen to. This is a very good first-person narrative for anyone outside of America who wants a starting place to understand stressed race relations in the U.S. as well.

"Dear Martin" Is the story of 17 year old Justyce McCallister whose life is changed when he is a victim of racial profiling, which slowly gets worse not only when he begins to open his eyes to levels of bigotry he's managed to ignore or suppress his whole life, but when the cop who violently profiled Justyce is murdered by his best friend Manny's gang-affiliated cousin, Quan. As things slowly tip between better and worse for Justyce he tries to makes sense of life by filling a journal with letters to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. as well as seeking advice from any adults who can relate to his struggle, until a terrible day when he and Manny have another run-in with an off duty officer and bullets tear their lives apart.

This book is heart breaking. It also deserves a place on recommended reading lists across the country. I can't wait to read more from author Nic Stone.
5/5