Risque
bing chilling

Old 12-16-2022, 01:59 AM

For those of you who are planning on being more active again on Mene, do you plan on having it replace or substitute any of your usual forms of social media? And as you've been writing, posting, and commenting, have you found it difficult to post like you used to? How has your social media engagement style changed? And is there anything you found in Mene that you were missing before?

With Mene somewhat back from the dead, I feel like it's worth investing time into the community again. However, I'm at a bit of a loss on how to jump back into things. Being a lurker on other social media sites for the past few years has made me accustomed to passively consuming content, since I would scroll Reddit and TikTok out of boredom or lack of creativity.

My engagement with Mene is almost the opposite of that. I feel more incentivized to contribute. I find myself giving more thought and introspection because of the longer post format. And without the ephemeral quality of other sites where older posts get buried and throwaway accounts can be made on the fly- Menewsha even demands more vulnerability from me and the thoughts I share.
It will be interesting to get back in the habit of this :)

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 12-16-2022, 02:16 AM

I burned myself out on avatar sites unfortunately. I've realized that my drawer of social spoons is much smaller than I previously realized; I'd be obsessed with a site, post excessively, feel myself burning out, try to force myself past it, and then like a shooting star I just burn out and end up flat out disappearing for literal years.

I don't want that to happen again with Mene. I'm on reddit, though I haven't been back there in a couple of months because I got distracted reading some novels, and I've been trying to pace myself better so I don't burn out again.

I'm not active on any other social media. I think I have a couple accounts here and there but I'm rarely on any of them.

Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 12-16-2022, 02:35 AM

I had a bad experience on another avatar forum that I used to frequently use... I stopped being active on it for a while because I was busy with Discord, (which is my preferred way to communicate with people.)

Basically, someone on this other site, who I thought was my friend, blocked me, then started talking about me behind my back to other people and also purposefully misgendered me behind my back... :/ It sucked because most of the people on this other site are cisgendered so they probably didn't even realize that what this person did was transphobic.

So it kinda soured my view on avatar forums, unfortunately. I wouldn't even really be active on any if it weren't for Mene coming back to life. I'm kinda half glad, half hesitant... I don't want another experience like that.

Mene will replace my use on that other avi site, 100%, but I don't know if I will be all that active like I used to be. I've changed a lot and I've gotten used to the instant responses of Discord that a forum feels too slow for me...

Risque
bing chilling

Old 12-16-2022, 02:42 AM

I totally relate to that! The problem is exacerbated on a message board because of the longer lifespan of each thread. Each conversation is like a commitment and it can easily get overwhelming.

I should probably set some healthier boundaries and be more okay with just.. not replying once I am out of things to say. That's why I like the thumbs up emoji, but Mene doesn't really have an equivalent way of acknowledging a post without responding, I think.

P.s. don't burn yourself out on Mene ;)

---------- Post added 12-15-2022 at 07:48 PM ----------

Kory: I am also concerned about the speed and pacing of the forums, but at least I can get my dress-up fix again. Sorry that happened to you.

Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 12-16-2022, 03:05 AM

Yeah. I think that's the only draw I am seeing with avatar sites now is the dress up part. xD Otherwise, I would rather talk on Discord.

I've gotten so used to instant messaging, so the forums feel slow and empty to me now.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 12-16-2022, 03:08 AM

Oof yeah, that's true. I'd burn out, but then I'd feel bad about just leaving the person I'm chatting with hanging or not responding, and then I'd force myself to respond, and then the sensation of burning out worsens, until I finally implode and just disappear. Not healthy, I know. >_>;;;

That's one of the reasons why I started hanging out on reddit. No one gives a fug who you are on reddit and you can just up and disappear any time and nobody will care. xD Downside is also that nobody cares about who you are so it's much harder to make friends and there are a lot of messed up people on there, but the anonymity, not needing to care about responding or not, and the ability to just up and disappear is nice at times.

I'm trying :P I really hope I don't burn out again.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 12-16-2022, 09:09 AM

I'm only back as of today, but I'm hoping to make Mene a place I check in and just. talk without trying to market myself? Being a Content Creator is a lot, and I feel like here I can just be a person instead, y'know. So I've bookmarked the home page and I'll try come back once or twice a day to just hang.

On the plus side: avviessssss. also there's a far less infinite scroll on mene compared to twitter or tumblr or any of that carryon

Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 12-16-2022, 09:16 PM

I have more time than I used to for Menewsha/avatar sites. Though I stay pretty busy with the kids, I'm mostly always home.

So, in between other demands, the kids, daily household chores is when I'll make time to try and be more active on here. I'd love to see Menewsha become active again.

I'll do my best to check in daily at the very least.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 12-17-2022, 04:28 PM

I am so excited to be back on Mene, but I too feel a bit shy about jumping back in. Mene has always felt like home to me, and I'm so happy to see so many familiar people returning, but also, I've always been on the shy side, so while I recognize people I don't actually know anyone particularly well.

It so weird to think that Mene is older than most social media sites. It's in a while different category in my mind, like, I hary even think of it as social media because that germ hardly existed yet. To me, all the major socail media sites serve a different purpose or have a different vibe, so they just overlap each other, and I'm just as much of a lurker on all of them, lol.

Mene has always felt different tho. We can be anonymous here if we want, but its also a small niche community so you can also feel part of the group. Kinda the best of both things, maybe? Although I can relate to the burnout potential, I've definitely gone through periods of saying "I'm going go be more active on Mene!" and then overwhelming myself.

DaisyKeehl
Inactive menace

Old 12-19-2022, 04:39 PM

I am like you, a lurker for the most part.
I think I will mostly scroll Mene passively during my work day! It is the only way I have a desktop at this point.
I am trying to figure out how to balance my energy, but i'm sure it'll come back to me as time goes on. I am super excited to see Mene back in action and to dive back into the community.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 12-20-2022, 02:07 AM

I will probably post some but i was always a bit of a lurker and had strong tendencies to stop talking for long periods of time. I will probably respond mostly to pings and such mostly and otherwise just lurk. Unfortunately with this pandemic I've gotten kinda antisocial...

Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 12-20-2022, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagonist View Post
I burned myself out on avatar sites unfortunately. I've realized that my drawer of social spoons is much smaller than I previously realized; I'd be obsessed with a site, post excessively, feel myself burning out, try to force myself past it, and then like a shooting star I just burn out and end up flat out disappearing for literal years.

I don't want that to happen again with Mene. I'm on reddit, though I haven't been back there in a couple of months because I got distracted reading some novels, and I've been trying to pace myself better so I don't burn out again.

I'm not active on any other social media. I think I have a couple accounts here and there but I'm rarely on any of them.
This is pretty similar for me. I just don’t have the time to invest in avatar sites anymore even though Menewsha holds a special place on my heart. I hope to check in now and again though.

My main places to comment now are Reddit and Discord but even those I tend to shuffle which subreddits/servers I’m in based on what I’m currently interested in. At the moment I’m big on Pokémon Scarlet & Violet but I’m sure that will taper off eventually too.

ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 12-20-2022, 08:08 AM

I love the longer posts in Mene, I missed it so much. I'm really hoping to get back into the community doing interactive things, like forum games, making and sharing avis, trying out pixeling things on the Mene bases, and maybe RPing?? :eyes: I haven't honestly had a good rp partner since mene stopped being active.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 12-20-2022, 08:12 PM

The longer posts. I miss them too but sadly with mobile it's really hard to read them :(
I gotta figure out a setting for text wrapping on this phone...

MacSen191
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-02-2023, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wandering Poet View Post
Unfortunately with this pandemic I've gotten kinda antisocial...
I hear that! I was antisocial before the pandemic but it has made it worse for me. I don't like going out anymore, some of this has brought back parts of my agorophobia and I'm begining to have panic attacks when I leave the apt now. It sucks.

As for Mene, I will check in and try to be more active, but I have a bad habit of checking out for awhile, then check back in. Mene holds a special place in my heart though as it was the first online community where I felt truly welcome.(Other than going way back to IRC chats with my fav online fandom years ago.) I have been on and off other avatar sites as well and have found two that I really loved, one is kinda gone now... mainly talks on discord which I don't frequent to much anymore cuz my kid and I share a computer and he's on discord all the time. The other site is active and I frequent in and out like normal.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 01-02-2023, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSen191 View Post
I hear that! I was antisocial before the pandemic but it has made it worse for me. I don't like going out anymore, some of this has brought back parts of my agorophobia and I'm begining to have panic attacks when I leave the apt now. It sucks.

As for Mene, I will check in and try to be more active, but I have a bad habit of checking out for awhile, then check back in. Mene holds a special place in my heart though as it was the first online community where I felt truly welcome.(Other than going way back to IRC chats with my fav online fandom years ago.) I have been on and off other avatar sites as well and have found two that I really loved, one is kinda gone now... mainly talks on discord which I don't frequent to much anymore cuz my kid and I share a computer and he's on discord all the time. The other site is active and I frequent in and out like normal.
I get that fear. We still do heavy delivery with no contact and i haven't driven a car in quite a while. My car actually broke during the pandemic so fortunately i work from home right now... Which it's nice to not commute but it'd be nice to try and socialize (that thing i never did before the pandemic...)

I'm definitely a lot more active on discord these days.

Car'a'Carn
Berries & Cream!

Penpal
Assistant Administrator

Old 01-03-2023, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risque View Post

SPOILERX

For those of you who are planning on being more active again on Mene, do you plan on having it replace or substitute any of your usual forms of social media? And as you've been writing, posting, and commenting, have you found it difficult to post like you used to? How has your social media engagement style changed? And is there anything you found in Mene that you were missing before?

With Mene somewhat back from the dead, I feel like it's worth investing time into the community again. However, I'm at a bit of a loss on how to jump back into things. Being a lurker on other social media sites for the past few years has made me accustomed to passively consuming content, since I would scroll Reddit and TikTok out of boredom or lack of creativity.

My engagement with Mene is almost the opposite of that. I feel more incentivized to contribute. I find myself giving more thought and introspection because of the longer post format. And without the ephemeral quality of other sites where older posts get buried and throwaway accounts can be made on the fly- Menewsha even demands more vulnerability from me and the thoughts I share.
Risque: Well... A bulk of my social interaction comes from gaming online with my SWTOR guild. Since Mene has come back into my life, I have noticed it eats up more than 50% of the time I usually give to the game

I totally get what you're talking about in terms of not knowing how to jump back in. I have always generally been a passive consumer of content myself. Mene was the place I dove into the most and actually made friends that I still talk to everyday and even hang out with on a weekly basis (although online cause I'm a homebody and they are across the country ) I have other socials but I don't engage with anyone regularly. Besides Mene, my SWTOR guild is the only place I know people by username or name in some cases.

Anyways... I think for me it's easier coming back because there's a lot to do behind the curtain so I don't have to dive directly back into constant social conversation. It's very easy to get lost while digging into the back end and trying to come up with fun things for everyone to do, relearn admin skills, and root around in the library to start breathing some life back into the story and parts of the site that have been so neglected.

So as it stands right now, I do not feel like it is difficult to get back into posting except that it can be more tiresome if there's a lot to reply to. My social meter gets fuller quicker nowadays XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kory View Post

SPOILERX

I had a bad experience on another avatar forum that I used to frequently use... I stopped being active on it for a while because I was busy with Discord, (which is my preferred way to communicate with people.)

Basically, someone on this other site, who I thought was my friend, blocked me, then started talking about me behind my back to other people and also purposefully misgendered me behind my back... :/ It sucked because most of the people on this other site are cisgendered so they probably didn't even realize that what this person did was transphobic.

So it kinda soured my view on avatar forums, unfortunately. I wouldn't even really be active on any if it weren't for Mene coming back to life. I'm kinda half glad, half hesitant... I don't want another experience like that.

Mene will replace my use on that other avi site, 100%, but I don't know if I will be all that active like I used to be. I've changed a lot and I've gotten used to the instant responses of Discord that a forum feels too slow for me...
Aw... I'm sorry Kory :/ That's terrible. I really hope that you don't have to suffer a similar experience here. I have no way to know for sure, but I've always felt like Mene was a much more progressive and tolerant place than others which is one of the reasons I've stuck with it for so long.

I personally though really enjoy the fact that I can delay my responses and life can go on XD instant messaging was really fun when I was younger but sometimes it requires a commitment to the moment and the person I'm talking to that I can't always give. So for me, it's nice to have that delay (unless it's something that you really need to talk to someone about ya know?)

Quote:

SPOILERX

Oof yeah, that's true. I'd burn out, but then I'd feel bad about just leaving the person I'm chatting with hanging or not responding, and then I'd force myself to respond, and then the sensation of burning out worsens, until I finally implode and just disappear. Not healthy, I know. >_>;;;

That's one of the reasons why I started hanging out on reddit. No one gives a fug who you are on reddit and you can just up and disappear any time and nobody will care. xD Downside is also that nobody cares about who you are so it's much harder to make friends and there are a lot of messed up people on there, but the anonymity, not needing to care about responding or not, and the ability to just up and disappear is nice at times.

The burn out is real :O I spent between 20 and 40 hours a week in a leadership position with my guild on SWTOR for 3 and a half years, eventually becoming the guild master for one of those. I left leadership in early 2021 I think it was? But besides the relief I felt of not having to lead anymore, the burnout didn't quite go away the experience definitely changed me. I hope you don't feel like you have to try to push through your quieter times this time around. It's always ok to take some space for yourself to recharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostPastry View Post

SPOILERX

I love the longer posts in Mene, I missed it so much. I'm really hoping to get back into the community doing interactive things, like forum games, making and sharing avis, trying out pixeling things on the Mene bases, and maybe RPing?? :eyes: I haven't honestly had a good rp partner since mene stopped being active.
I find myself in the position now of putting perhaps far to much thought into my replies XD Sometimes I can't shut off the stream of consciousness! So I find the forum format much nicer to reply to people as I always feel bad when I text or message someone a brick of text in my text messages or on messenger/discord D: Plus I almost always hit the character limit on discord unless it's a quick exchange

ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 01-03-2023, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car'a'Carn View Post
I find myself in the position now of putting perhaps far to much thought into my replies XD Sometimes I can't shut off the stream of consciousness! So I find the forum format much nicer to reply to people as I always feel bad when I text or message someone a brick of text in my text messages or on messenger/discord D: Plus I almost always hit the character limit on discord unless it's a quick exchange
my people!! you get it. character limits are my mortal enemy, they make me so self-conscious i never understood Twitter. when i'm posting anywhere i feel like i put like 10 minutes into each message, so people on Discord either get bored with me or the convo leaves me in the dust, so i just stick to small servers. it takes like an extra 5 minutes to abridge my full message for people who don't type much [sob] so i'm always thrilled when i get into writing "letters" with someone new. the Mene forum is just so perfectly geared for it; with the quoting, there's no worry about replying too late, and everything is just laid out so well to get involved in a convo, i've never felt uncomfortable just rolling into some random thread here and being strange

SilverKnightHawk
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-07-2023, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risque View Post

SPOILERX

Well, I'm definitely trying to ease myself back into it! I've actually mostly cut social media out of my life. I'm not active on Facebook, I'm on a private account on twitter where I never post anything, and I'm trying to stop using Tumblr as much. I found that my time there was mostly spent just idly scrolling, and I've just reached a point in my life where I'm kind of tired of just passively consuming content all day without having anything to show for it at the end. It feels...weirdly isolating? Like, I'm not talking to any of those people. I'm not part of a community, and that's what I miss.

The last time I really remembered feeling that was, well, here. I'd tried to come back a couple of times, but I just wasn't at the right place in my life yet, y'know? I'm really happy that Menewsha's return matched up to when I was in a place to come back too . I'm a bit of a wordy bugger, and I like feeling like I can take my time with responding. I'm not racing against the clock to be heard, y'know? And there's a lot less risk of someone taking what I'm saying, reading the worst possible thing they can into it, and then judging me based on what they think I've said, which I've had happen on a lot of shorter-form social media.

I do feel like the way I word things is a little more awkward than it used to be? I'm hoping that'll smooth out as I get used to having the space to say as many words as I want, but only time will tell I'm definitely going to have to unlearn the feeling that no one cares about what I have to say, if that makes sense? Re-learn to trust that people will take the time to read my whole message, maybe even multiple times, in order to construct a response.

Oh oh!! And being able to quote multiple responses and respond to multiple people in a thread! I love that feature and have missed it so much. I don't want to have six different branching conversations nestled in on themselves without any context of the greater discussion! (looking at you tumblr) I want them to be contained in one post!

Quote:

SPOILERX

oh no, social burnout is such a huge problem for me too . It's actually the biggest reason I'm not on most social media anymore The cycle of "be active, get overwhelmed, stop being active, feel bad about not being active, recover, be active, etc" is something I get trapped in constantly. The nicest thing for me about forums is that there's a much slower expectation? I'm hoping that'll help my burnout because I won't feel that pressure of like "Oh no it's been a single day, they're gonna be so mad I didn't see this D:" which is how so many other sites or places feel to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearzy View Post

SPOILERX

I'm only back as of today, but I'm hoping to make Mene a place I check in and just. talk without trying to market myself? Being a Content Creator is a lot, and I feel like here I can just be a person instead, y'know. So I've bookmarked the home page and I'll try come back once or twice a day to just hang.

On the plus side: avviessssss. also there's a far less infinite scroll on mene compared to twitter or tumblr or any of that carryon
Oooh, the content creator struggle is an awful one to get trapped in For a while I was looking at doing something similar, but I've watched so many friends fall into that pit of like, constantly having to hustle and market themselves, and I ended up realizing that if I tried, I'd lose my hobbies and burn out too quickly. I hope you're taking care of yourself! Glad you're trying to find spaces you can just chill and hang out without feeling that pressure.

And deffo agree on the lack of infinite scroll being a plus side! There are landmarks! Natural stopping points my beloved

Quote:

SPOILERX

my people!! you get it. character limits are my mortal enemy, they make me so self-conscious i never understood Twitter. when i'm posting anywhere i feel like i put like 10 minutes into each message, so people on Discord either get bored with me or the convo leaves me in the dust, so i just stick to small servers. it takes like an extra 5 minutes to abridge my full message for people who don't type much [sob] so i'm always thrilled when i get into writing "letters" with someone new. the Mene forum is just so perfectly geared for it; with the quoting, there's no worry about replying too late, and everything is just laid out so well to get involved in a convo, i've never felt uncomfortable just rolling into some random thread here and being strange
Character limits! Fast conversation! The worst!! They're nice sometimes, but so often I get lost in the dust because I'm just sitting there like, "What do you mean you don't want to talk about all the fascinating facts or specifics about this thing? Wait we're on a new topic already? We just GOT here!!" and then I end up sitting there like :< because I had an anecdote or story I wanted to tell but the conversation moved on so now it's weird to say!

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 01-07-2023, 07:50 AM

Quote:
I feel this so hard. Like so so hard.

I'm kinda hoping to be more active on the front end of things though. Back when the site was active I was always so so so busy that I almost never dragged myself out of the back rooms. I never had time. Its so nice to see familiar faces that I want to invest more time in that >.>

Car'a'Carn
Berries & Cream!

Penpal
Assistant Administrator

Old 01-07-2023, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Haha Totally XD Character limits suck and I've never not gone over them! As for the convo leaving you in the dust... That's like me in almost every thread on Mene ever!! XD Oh I know right? Quoting messages are the best. If it weren't for that I'd have such a hard time jumping back into threads where I made a few remarks and then the thread's moved a good page since I last posted XD

---------- Post added 01-07-2023 at 12:11 AM ----------

*waves at Silverk* Heyo!

ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 01-07-2023, 07:40 PM

my subscriptions inbox is so full today!! wow, it really feels like the old days :') i am fully prepared to be left in the dust here too now that activity's picked up i have an ambition of being subscribed to every active thread, but i'm definitely the type to read my threads like the morning paper and not actually respond to half of them i've also been known to comment on someone's profile if the convo has moved too far for me to feel comfortable interrupting with a quote, i am not chill enough to let something go, once i wanna say it i gotta say it.

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 01-25-2023, 08:48 PM

I'm probably going to be mostly in my journal. Posting things other than what I post on re.color.

I can't be as open about myself on here as I can be there with the rules as they are.

Pretty sure I have two infractions coming for mentioning my drug use, cutting and posting a nude pixels of one of my characters. Might be enough to ban me if it were old Mene.