Koilera
Dead Account Holder
n/a

Old 04-10-2007, 08:32 PM

this short story is my second attempt. :cry: Does it show?
“Thrift”
Janelle Prince stared up at the blue sign above the doorway of the brand new store. In bold lettering it read: Shadow Glade- Thrift Shop. She sighed. For years, she had been putting it off, but now she had no choice. It was time to shop at a thrift shop. If only she had a better job.
As she walked through the glass door, a little bell went off. An old man who was working at the counter looked up. “Hello, ma’am,” he said in a frail voice. She nodded at him and went immediately to the clothes section. I must remember, she thought to herself, only buy what I need. The books drew her attention away, but she jerked her gaze back to the clothes rack. The old man at the counter saw her longing gaze and said in that frail voice, “With purchase of clothes comes these books free.” He gestured at two books at the counter.
She smiled and picked out a drawstring sweater colored like the sky in the desert and some jeans the color of the deep ocean. As she walked to the counter, she noticed some detail that caught her attention for a second, but before she could examine it, it disappeared from her memory. She paused, trying to remember, but then moved on.
He handed her the two books which seemed to be bound in old leather, rather a rich find for a thrift shop, and she handed him the six dollars for the outfit. He smiled and said, “Thank you, ma’am.” She nodded and left the shop.
The same annoying bell went off as she exited. She stepped into the alleyway outside the building and looked at the front cover of one of the books. It read Getting Your Life Back on Track. She smiled to herself, she could really use this. She looked at the other book and saw with surprise that it was Optimism is Everything. She scoffed but knew in her heart that she needed both of these books.
She turned back around to thank the old man for knowing exactly what she needed. The store was gone.

*That just goes to show that the things that you dismiss as unworthy, may be exactly what your life was looking for.*

Wow.. so Aesop of me to put a moral in at the end. Did I end it to soon? Was it totally lame? Please answer! :shock: