Iltu
do you think pigeons have feelin...

Old 08-09-2011, 01:53 PM

See you then Rain! I'm curious to know what your project is.

Pat- I'm praying for him and thinking good thoughts for him, whatever floats your boat. :hug: I hope he's alright. There's probably huge amounts of people trying to get home and with all that's going on I'm sure the underground must be dealing with a lot, so I think you're most certainly right about delays. Keep me posted!

ljosberinn
This is an obnoxious and offensi...

Old 08-09-2011, 01:56 PM

Ah, he just got home. ^____^ Apparently they were trying to organise it so people could leave the office in groups and it was taking a long time. Phewwww.

Iltu
do you think pigeons have feelin...

Old 08-09-2011, 02:01 PM

I'm so glad to hear it! Thank goodness he's safe. :)

Skrae
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to Skrae Send a message via Yahoo to Skrae

Old 08-09-2011, 07:07 PM

Well, I read Unnatural Issue by Mercedes Lackey today, as well as Graveminder by Melissa Marr.
Both are quite good.
Sorry I didn't quite get this to the 10th page last night...

ARgh, thank you notes, how I loathe writing thee. :/

rain drops
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-09-2011, 07:14 PM

Hello everyone. I just got home from school and am currently reading Go Ask Alice. How are my fellow bookworms doing? :)

Skrae
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-09-2011, 07:16 PM

Decently. How was school?

rain drops
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-09-2011, 07:22 PM

School was fine, but I am not feeling good, so I came home early. I am waiting for my teacher to fax over some questions and things I have to do while at home.

Scribbled Lore
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to Scribbled Lore Send a message via MSN to Scribbled Lore Send a message via Yahoo to Scribbled Lore

Old 08-09-2011, 07:23 PM

*wanders in* Hi there, everyone. :) What are we talking about today?

CandyLand
Sugar, Spice, & Everything Nice

Old 08-09-2011, 07:26 PM

Hola my favorite library lurkers! (:
Hope you feel better soon Rain Drops, but at least you've got a book to get you through it. What do you think so far?

Skrae
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-09-2011, 07:30 PM

-waves at everyone-
Rain: I hope that you feel better soon!

Lore: Not much, yet. Mostly just seeing what we're all up to/reading today.

Candy: Indeed! I spent a few hours at teh library today! :D

Scribbled Lore
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to Scribbled Lore Send a message via MSN to Scribbled Lore Send a message via Yahoo to Scribbled Lore

Old 08-09-2011, 07:31 PM

I've been working on reading Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice here lately It's been slow going since it's been a while since I've read something of that caliber and style.

CandyLand

Old 08-09-2011, 07:37 PM

@Skrae - Ohhh now I'm jealous! Did you get any goodies? :D I have a trip coming up soon so I need to get down there asap so I don't go crazy in the car. Suggestions are always loved too. ;)
@Scribbled - I know exactly what you mean, it takes a bit to slip into that style. I was having the same issue with Wuthering Heights just a few days ago. What do you think of the story and characters so far? They're the aspect that really makes that book fly once you get into it. :3

Scribbled Lore
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-09-2011, 07:40 PM

It's really funny to read the interactions between Mr. and Mrs. Bennet; Mr. Bennet knows his wife so well and anticipates her reactions to most things and uses that to amuse himself and Mrs. Bennet.. well, she's Mrs. Bennet. :XD What can one say about her?

fairywaif
Flitting free Girl

Old 08-09-2011, 07:42 PM

I'm currently almost through Wyrd Sisters, of the Disc World books. I started it last night, and I have just the last 30 pages or so left.

Skrae
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-09-2011, 07:42 PM

@Scribbled: I think that's normal, since the grammar and the writing styles have evolved so much since then.

@Candy: Of course! Libraries are so full of goodies it's impossible not to!
I would suggest anything by the following authors:
-Patricia Briggs
-Jim Butcher
-Sherrilyn Kenyon
-Mercedes Lackey
-Faith Hunter
-Sharon Shinn
-Kim Harrison

Scribbled Lore
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-09-2011, 07:45 PM

Skrae, what are your favorite Mercedes Lackey books? I started with and still love dearly the Last Herald-Mage trilogy.

CandyLand

Old 08-09-2011, 07:46 PM

Hahaha they were my favorite pair for that very reason! Screw the romantic leads and their drama, old bickering couples make my day every time. (: It was interesting though too how she really portrayed the standards of the time, even if her daughters sometimes tried to fight it with the help of their father, she's a constant factor in their lives.
Maybe I'm a huge nerd, but stuff like that really fascinates me because of the historical context it gives. (x
Ohh thank you so much for the numerous suggestions! -writes down furiously-
I'm always looking for new authors because the minute I find one I enjoy I go out and read everything by them. xD

Last edited by CandyLand; 08-09-2011 at 07:48 PM..

Skrae
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-09-2011, 07:48 PM

Lore: Honestly, the Exile books in the Valdemar Series, the fairy godmother books, and her elemental masters series. ^^ I adore the Elemental Series, since they're set between 1870-ish and 1918.

Scribbled Lore
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-09-2011, 07:52 PM

I would really like to see more of the elemental masters series, Skrae. And the Exile books! Oh, man.. those were great. I also really liked Take a Thief but that's because I find the character of Skif to be intriguing.

I've been keeping up fairly well with the 500 kingdom books and it's really the first time that I've enjoyed reading romance type novels. To me it seems more like fanfiction that it does published work and that works in its favor as far as I'm concerned.

--

The historical context is part of why I enjoy reading Jane Austen's work; I like the criticism of the way people lived from her time period and I really enjoy being able to get a good look at how people lived in the past.

Skrae
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-09-2011, 07:55 PM

I think you're right a bit about it seeming more like fanfiction in a way. I like that it's often retelling a tale we're familiar with in an entirely different way. The Tradition seems based more on the Grimm's versions of tales, and much more bloodthirsty than Disney! >:D

Well, Unnatural Issue just came out a couple weeks ago, I believe. I just read it, and it's one of the best in the series so far. Robin Goodfellow is almost a main character.

I miss the elf books she used to co-write! D:

Scribbled Lore
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-09-2011, 07:58 PM

Oh my! I missed one of her books being released? Nooo! I must head to the library straight away! .. Perhaps tomorrow morning or this upcoming Saturday. *goes to pop open her library's catalog in a new tab to see if they have it in and request it*

Skrae
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-09-2011, 07:59 PM

-applauds- Yep, it's set about the same time frame as Phoenix and Ashes. :D
I just returned the copy I borrowed today.

Scribbled Lore
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-09-2011, 08:03 PM

Ooo, Phoenix and Ashes was a good one. I liked that one in particular. Argh, what was the one with the doctor? I enjoy that one as well.

fairywaif
Flitting free Girl

Old 08-09-2011, 08:04 PM

I got one of the 500 kingdom books and almost didn't read it when I saw it was romance but it was very well done. One with a mermaid or something?

Skrae
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-09-2011, 08:05 PM

The Serpent's Shadow, I think? That was the first one in the series I read, then The Gates of Sleep.
Oh well. :3 Still got hooked on them either way.

Fairywaif: I don't think I've read that one yet. 0o;; And I usually avoid romance too, but for the sake of her writing, I thought I'd give the books a try and I think they're great. Despite the mushy bits. XD