BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-23-2014, 12:11 AM

So I skipped cupcakes and went from donuts to layer cake. Layer cake is so easy and fun to make!

Here's a red velvet slice ~

Roxxi Shiagami
⊙ω⊙
Penpal

Old 05-24-2014, 05:51 AM

Oh! That is just too cute! :) Good job!

bloodstainedwings
"avagasm"

Old 05-26-2014, 11:50 AM

oh that is just so adorable! you should make a cake hat and dress up as an avatar for halloween with the cake hat item!!!

p.s i finished the dress, i just have to take a good picture of it. It looks amazing. I will be wearing it tomorrow, so I will get someone to take a picture of it.

Alexander J Luthor
\ (•◡•) /

Old 06-03-2014, 06:55 AM

I haven't worked on anythiiiiiing. D: Why do I keep forgetting this?

bloodstainedwings
"avagasm"

Old 06-03-2014, 09:17 AM

I dont know. I know that I am horrible at taking pictures and uploading them. I finished that dress like 2 weeks ago and still dont have picture.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-03-2014, 04:17 PM

I too am way behind with pictures. Why is that such a dreadful pain in the butt? Ah, well.

bloodstainedwings
"avagasm"

Old 06-03-2014, 07:44 PM

because we are crafters not photographers. lol.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-04-2014, 06:55 PM

Thought I'd share this in case anyone is interested. This will be my third time participating & I have had a lot of fun with it each time. :)

Craftaholics Anonymous Summer 2014 Handmade Gift Exchange

Deadline to sign up is June 8th - that's this Sunday. There is no charge to join (only time and whatever you spend on supplies & shipping) and they go through Elfster, so the only person who will know your info is the person you're paired with.

---------- Post added 06-04-2014 at 01:05 PM ----------

Oh oh! I'll also share something neat to file under "things to try someday when I finish my other things" -

How to Make an English Paper Pieced Instavase (What's That?)

Basically, it's just a flexible pretty wrap for turning a jar into a "vase" - pretty great idea for me considering I lost many glasses when I moved across the country and have been using more than my share of old pickle jars as multipurpose containers.

Roxxi Shiagami
⊙ω⊙
Penpal

Old 06-06-2014, 06:10 PM

lol, ya'll aren't the only ones. I haven't gotten anything completed yet, and it's already june. With all that's been going on they just hadn't gotten worked on. *le sigh*

bloodstainedwings
"avagasm"

Old 06-06-2014, 07:38 PM

I am working on things I sware, im just having issues finishing things... and taking pictures of them.... i just keep starting things XD

ok you have waited and here is it!!!

p.s. yes, that is actually me... dont judge... im awesome.

Last edited by bloodstainedwings; 06-11-2014 at 09:59 PM..

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 06-14-2014, 08:29 PM

That dress is super cute! I love the shape and the fabric.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-14-2014, 10:26 PM

I agree! Very flattering cut and that fabric is really neat. :)

---------- Post added 06-14-2014 at 06:56 PM ----------

I've drawn my partner for the handmade gift exchange & she's a crocheter too. :D I decided that one of the things I'm going to make her are some stitch markers. I went to JoAnn's today and bought some lobster clasps, and I'm gonna dig through my bead bins and see if I can't make some pretty summerish dangly bits for them. Will report back. :)

bloodstainedwings
"avagasm"

Old 06-15-2014, 02:23 PM

thanks guys!

excellent Belly! keep the momentum going! I cant wait to see it, it sounds like it is going to be very pretty.

I have successfully made the pattern for my halloween costume. I just have to go get the right coloured fabric and make the dress with the right colours. and that will be the dress part. Then I have to make the top... and the ears....and the bows.... but I am well on my way. Its going to take me a long time to make, hence why I started now.

I also started an embroidery project. Nothing as intense as the fish, but a nice little welcome wall hanging is the plan.

Roxxi Shiagami
⊙ω⊙
Penpal

Old 06-16-2014, 01:28 AM

Sorry, it's a little late. But that is one pretty dress, BSW. You did a really good job! :)

bloodstainedwings
"avagasm"

Old 06-16-2014, 10:10 AM

Thanks guys. I am thinking about starting an Etsy store, having dresses like that and home made patterns and what not for sale. I think its going to work out. I'll let you guys know when that is all set up, so you can look at it and help me make it look better.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-24-2014, 07:34 AM

You should definitely do it! I have a friend who does pretty well for herself selling patterns & custom tailoring on Etsy (she mostly makes whimsical children's clothing, like pinafores and such).

I'm trying to make a crochet pattern for layer cake presently. Traditional crochet patterns kind of make my head hot, but I suppose that's what I need to be doing if I want to sell them. I may include a "how I actually do it" footnote page since I'm mostly eyeballs and rulers and some people might find it amusing.

bloodstainedwings
"avagasm"

Old 06-24-2014, 08:57 AM

lol, yeah you can do that. maybe make a youtube video on you doing it. It might be hilarious and win you big monies!

How did she start up? what did she start with? these are things I dont have answers to.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-24-2014, 03:06 PM

I think it started with cloth diaper covers.

edit: Ooh, she talks a little bit about her process on her blog.

I was reading some other "getting started" advice blogs from Etsy folks with similar stuff and the general feeling seems to be, make a few of whatever cute/neat unique things you enjoy making. Create a pattern for one of these things. Patterns for fellow crafters who see your cute thing and think "How neat! I want to make that!" will provide a regular income trickle, freeing you to make other neat/cute things rather than focusing your time on making your thing itself more marketable.

.. I have no idea if that was coherent. Running on little sleep.

Last edited by BellyButton; 06-24-2014 at 04:07 PM..

bloodstainedwings
"avagasm"

Old 06-24-2014, 03:12 PM

yeah that makes sense to me. Thanks for the link, I will read it today and hopefully I can start an etsy store soon.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-27-2014, 10:29 PM

I just bought a little sewing machine. I've been meaning to get a cheap starter machine for some time, but I could never choose one & after a recent discussion with some fellow crafters on how great the cheapo IKEA sewing machine is for basic dabbling I decided to just go for it. Only $70 bucks! Not fired it up yet but it's cute and seems pretty sturdy.

It's been like 15 years since I've gone near a sewing machine, so I'm both excited and somewhat afraid. :)

I'm setting the dishes to soak but then I'm gonna go browse the interwebs for ideas. I thought I'd also ask, what are some of you guys' favorite newbie sewing machine projects?

Roxxi Shiagami
⊙ω⊙
Penpal

Old 06-28-2014, 05:43 AM

I haven't sewed, but I've been wanting to dabble a little bit. (Got the materials for some pillows, but haven't had the time to try to work on them).

I've been hoping to work on some sewing skills so I can try to make my own cosplay costumes. We'll see how that goes. :P

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-28-2014, 01:53 PM

We can stumble along together!

Hey, by the way..
H A P P Y . B I R T H D A Y !

:)

Last edited by BellyButton; 06-28-2014 at 01:59 PM..

Roxxi Shiagami
⊙ω⊙
Penpal

Old 06-29-2014, 02:15 AM

Thanks Belly! :)

bloodstainedwings
"avagasm"

Old 06-30-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellyButton View Post
I just bought a little sewing machine. I've been meaning to get a cheap starter machine for some time, but I could never choose one & after a recent discussion with some fellow crafters on how great the cheapo IKEA sewing machine is for basic dabbling I decided to just go for it. Only $70 bucks! Not fired it up yet but it's cute and seems pretty sturdy.

It's been like 15 years since I've gone near a sewing machine, so I'm both excited and somewhat afraid. :)

I'm setting the dishes to soak but then I'm gonna go browse the interwebs for ideas. I thought I'd also ask, what are some of you guys' favorite newbie sewing machine projects?
the bloomers from colette patterns. they are easy to make and to adjust. free pattern and super super comfortable! I wear them like everyday. I plan on making more eventually. maybe even from scrap fabric from the quilts i have made.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 07-01-2014, 06:48 PM

Is it this one? Madeleine

I wouldn't have thought to try bloomers, but those look fun. :D Thanks!

I just finished up my package for my handmade gift exchange partner. Very last day, typical me! I wound up making a felt crochet hook pouch, some stitch markers, and a pair of earrings.

latest stuffX

The felt embroidery was lots of fun. I'll probably dabble some more with that. I want to try making a scene. And some pansies. :)

I just got news that one of my cousins is expecting a baby this winter! If I start now, maybe I'll actually make something babyish in time.