roocee
(。・ω・&...
Send a message via AIM to roocee Send a message via MSN to roocee Send a message via Yahoo to roocee

Old 10-27-2007, 01:27 AM

Yep that's true.

Shadowfflur
Wait...What?

Old 10-27-2007, 01:57 AM

Its pretty easy to eat with chopsticks once you get the general idea. I think westerner's biggest problem is using them for long periods of time. You're actually using different muscles in your hand taht we don't use as often. It just takes some practice. ^^

I had to learn really quick when I was going to school in Japan. It was funny though, one night my hostparents and I met some of their friends at a little retaurant. And in the middle of dinner she exclaimed that I eat more elegantly with chopsticks than her. The whole place went quiet and everyone was staring at me. I was so embarrased, but the friend just went back to her conversation and food. Crazy Osaka lady...XP

roocee
(。・ω・&...
Send a message via AIM to roocee Send a message via MSN to roocee Send a message via Yahoo to roocee

Old 10-27-2007, 03:30 AM

Oh my, I would definitely have been embarrassed.

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Melody Send a message via MSN to Melody

Old 10-27-2007, 02:23 PM

XD I would have been embarrassed too!
I've been eating with chopsticks since I was little. I think when I was 5 my grandparents got me my first set of chopsticks. They had Hello Kitty on them. (my step-grandmother is from hong kong) and so whenever we went out to eat with them it would generally be a Chinese/Japanese/oriental food place and we would use chopsticks. So I've been doing it for a while. I've been trying to teach kura with starter chopsticks (the ones with the rubber band and wrapper folded up so they don't close all the way ever XD) and she gets it once in a while, but she is much more comfortable with a fork ^^;;

roocee
(。・ω・&...

Old 10-27-2007, 03:06 PM

Hmmm, maybe I need to look into those..lol. I'm so uncoordinated.

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 10-27-2007, 04:56 PM

Hello Roocee,

Just stopping by to hi and good luck in your quest <3 seems like a lot of people are questing right now :D

Chop sticks are fun, I've been looking for a set of real ones that I like but I m really picky. I never really thought of who might have invented the fork before :shock:

But I'm a big fan of finger foods or eating with my hands in general. It's the natural food eating utensil :lol:

roocee
(。・ω・&...

Old 10-27-2007, 04:58 PM

Thanks.

I have to agree. I never really thought about it but I do enjoy finger foods. They are fun.

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal

Old 10-27-2007, 06:16 PM

My kids think soup is a finger food. D:

roocee
(。・ω・&...

Old 10-27-2007, 07:29 PM

LOL, most kids think all food is finger food. It know it's not funny but I love to watch a baby eat food.

hope
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to hope

Old 10-27-2007, 07:40 PM

♥
how's saving coming?
xD
♥

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal

Old 10-27-2007, 10:08 PM

I don't mind some of the foods, but soup... it is just sooo messy! D:

Snowberry
Annihilator of Cookies

Old 10-28-2007, 12:19 AM

Lol. That's funny. But if, I was mommy that would be an awful mess to clean. They'd probably get it in their hair and several other odd places. Lot's of clean up to be done. =3

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal

Old 10-28-2007, 12:36 AM

Their hair becomes matted and nasty, they get it all over their clothes (I've learned to feed them in only diapers XD) but even then it is still always all over their skin, which needs to be cleaned off. In their chairs, and all over the table. and sometimes on the floor if they aren't careful enough and end up hitting the bowl onto the floor. But they get angry when that happens because... they are still hungry. D: It's a lose/lose situation. But if I don't give it to them once in a while they won't get used to it or I won't know when they are ready for it. So for now, it's little bowls of soup for dipping things in XD and I refill the bowl if/when they finish it.
It's more work for me from the start, but less at the end of the meal when it is time for clean up. (:

wow, that was a longer post than I was expecting to make. XD

Shadowfflur
Wait...What?

Old 10-28-2007, 02:35 AM

XD I have tried for YEARS to teach my mom to eat with chopsticks. She still can't do it, so she eats with the starter chopsticks when we go out.

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal

Old 10-28-2007, 11:58 AM

fflur- that's actually kinda cute XD and at least she does the chopsticks and not just give up and go for a fork! Which is what my oldest brother does. It really annoys me too. Because there is the entire family eating a meal with chopsticks and looking semi natural doing it, then he ruins it by asking the waiter for ca fork. I hate the way the waiters look at us after he does that. Like, do the rest of you non-asians want forks as well? I can use chopsticks naturally and it looks normal I hold them a bit funny to most people but my way works better XD But for some reason at Asian restaurants a family of 6 tall white people with blonde hair and blue eyes just gets funny looks XD
Luckily I get to go out with Scott now, and since he has darker hair we blend in a bit more... As a family. I still stand out like a sore thumb as the only blonde. </3

Snowberry
Annihilator of Cookies

Old 10-28-2007, 12:42 PM

:oops: ...I'm guilty of the fork switching. It's only b/c whenever I get the chance to eat with chopsticks, I'm starving. So, I get impatient. Last time, I managed to eat the entire meal with chopsticks. It took awhile and I fumbled all over the place, but I was happy with my messy progress.
Fflur- starter chopsticks? what and where do you get them?

Wow Mel, it sounds like you solved the soup monster problem! Hopefully they'll get the hang of it. Also,that they realize that soup isn't eaten with fingers. :/ yecch...

roocee
(。・ω・&...

Old 10-28-2007, 03:00 PM

I still would love to learn to use them someday. I will have to look into starter ones ;)

A friend of mine when it was time to eat would put her daughter in her high chair in just her diaper and would have this huge piece of plastic she had gotten when something was delivered to her home. That way, it saved the mess on the carpet, etc and the plastic was so easy to wipe off. Worked well for her youngest 2 children.

Snowberry
Annihilator of Cookies

Old 10-28-2007, 05:47 PM

Roo! No bottom of the page for you! -waggles finger-
I should get myself a starter set and practice at home.
That's a good idea for using plastic. It's quite easy to clean.

roocee
(。・ω・&...

Old 10-28-2007, 05:48 PM

I will have to look into that as well.

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal

Old 10-28-2007, 08:05 PM

if you go out to a restaurant that has chopsticks, you should be able to ask for started ones. They are like regualr chopsticks you just put te wrapper all folded up between them at the top them put a rubberband around it. Or something to that effect... I don't know if there are actual starter chopsticks out there... but it would make sense for there to be some.

roocee
(。・ω・&...

Old 10-29-2007, 04:14 AM

Oh ok cool, I will try that.

hope
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to hope

Old 10-29-2007, 04:25 AM

♥
are you having fun with the event?
♥

yanyan13
im holding somethin long & hairy

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-29-2007, 01:05 PM

• *pokes* just wanted to drop by and say thank you for visiting my thread open, roo ^_^

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal

Old 10-29-2007, 02:16 PM

morning Roo and her lovely thread! XD <33 How are you today, even though I kinda already know because of the Purkle event thread XD

I am loving the event <3 And am really looking forward to the next item. woot!

roocee
(。・ω・&...

Old 10-29-2007, 02:43 PM

I can't wait for the next item either. This is so much fun.

Thanks Yan, it's a pleasure posting in your thread.