Wisty
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to Wisty

Old 05-06-2007, 03:35 AM

I wanted to learn because I like going to Japanese fanart sites and sometimes they have little comics that are really funny in just the pictures themselves, but I want to know what they're saying. There are so few freebie translators on the net and I would feel bad asking them to translate something as unimportant as a fancomic for me, so I want to learn Japanese so I can translate things on my own.

I'd really like to learn Japanese so I can translate doujinshi, too. Then everyone can send me their doujinshi for me to translate. >D

But alas, I need to learn Chinese first.

IshokuOsero
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to IshokuOsero Send a message via MSN to IshokuOsero Send a message via Yahoo to IshokuOsero

Old 05-06-2007, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poo.
Oh, very much so. This is because it becomes agonizing for me sometimes, when I have to wait for the publishers (ie:Tokyopo) to translate the next volumes for series when the volume (or even more) is already out in Japanese. ;3; If I knew japanese, I would be able to buy the manga online and then read it in japanese, rather than having to wait for the english version (which tends to take forever for some series). >3333<; JAPANESE IS SOSO COOL BY ITSELF EVEN IF I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT MANGAS.
Yeah, I have to agree with the fact that the American publishers are slow to translate.
Here, there is only up to volume five for Nana, and yet the last time I went to Mitsuwa, there was already up to volume 17. There are probably another two from where that came from already by now. D:

Fool
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to Fool

Old 05-06-2007, 04:07 AM

I only started to love the Japanese language after visiting the country when I was... oh... 5 years old?

The numerous amont of anime and manga helped my desire to learn it even more... although I really didn't have the time to do so.
I learn Japanese by playing around with programs, games that are written in Japanese and just... listen to my Jap friend rant. xD

~Maaki
Dead Account Holder

Old 05-06-2007, 05:32 AM

Yes.I hate those dubs! >_> Those mangas in japanese are a bit of a lower prices too.I also just love how they speak it's so nice and calm at times.It would also be nice to actually hear it and know what they're saying instead of reading subtitles.

The March Hare
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-08-2007, 02:14 AM

At first when I was introduced to the anime/manga fandom, I was obsessed with learning japanese and became quite a big otaku (is that the right word?). But I lost my japanophilic nature and just stick to lovely subtitles now. I just saw it as a bad motivation that the only real reason I wanted to learn the language was for the sake of anime. o_o

GainaSpirit
Dead Account Holder

Old 05-09-2007, 07:27 PM

I'm not dumb enough to think that I'll read my fav manga in japanese with few japanese lessons O.o So no, it didn't encourage me.
Though it's pleasen to recognise some letter, it's impossible to fully read a manga like Death note, Monster...

Cindy bear
ʘ‿ʘ
Banned

Old 05-10-2007, 06:08 AM

For me, I guess so. I always love Japan not because of the animes but everything they offer the world like being able to share some of their culture to us. I hope that someday I can learn how to read and speak in Japanese

Lelouch
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-11-2007, 03:17 AM

Definitely, I would love to be able to understand anime without subtitles.....or to be able to read a Japanese manga instead of waiting for translations.

Japanese is so hard though.

Rusalka
(。☉౪ ⊙&...
Send a message via MSN to Rusalka

Old 05-11-2007, 09:11 AM

I started to try take Japanese in school. I enjoyed it but I couldn't continue the next year because I had no room for it. I would love to do so again...

oi_pinoy
Dead Account Holder
n/a

Old 05-14-2007, 09:22 AM

Yep yep, first because of anime :D
And next I find myself learning about Japan more and more. It's a fun country~ *nods*

I want to learn more to play those PC/PS games so I don't have to get a dubbed one or licensed copy. I want to hear the real voices x3

Emily Sargent
(-.-)zzZ
n/a

Old 05-15-2007, 02:51 PM

I've been learning Japanese way before I became a certified anime fan. So it's a good thing that I can keep up with my self-study and have fun at the same time.

For anime, I insist on subtitled modes, especially on DVD. It gives you a decent background on both formal and informal conversations, and how differences in wording and diction adds dimension to characters.

SirYuki
*^_^*
Banned
Send a message via Yahoo to SirYuki

Old 05-16-2007, 02:14 AM

I would definietly say yes to the last question

NewMoonTwilight
Dead Account Holder
n/a

Old 05-31-2007, 12:25 AM

Not as much as cute asian guys do! lol

Krystyne
\ (•◡•) /

Old 05-31-2007, 02:50 AM

Well...technically, I wanted to learn Japanese BEFORE I became obsessed with Ouran High School Host Club. XDD But yeah, I do want to learn it now more than ever.

MiroshaxKerry
*^_^*

Old 06-12-2007, 07:56 PM

No not really i do pick up words though and think its cool X3

Some Random Randomness
Absolutely Malignificient King o...

Old 06-12-2007, 09:29 PM

Most definately. If I counted all the times I wante d to learn Japanese just so I could watch anime without undertitles, it would be busy for a while.

Caeluma
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-12-2007, 10:17 PM

It does adn I tried but not very hard maybe if I really put my mind to it I could learn it but I am not good at learning languages lol I am not even the best with English! Maybe if I started when I was younger I would have learned it better but then again i did learn fronch from grades 1-9 and I don't remember much of that lol!
:( I wish I knew more!

Mage
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 06-13-2007, 11:28 PM

At first, I wanted to learn Japanese so I can help out at those fansubs--translating RAWs and all. But then, I decided that wasn't worth my time. Besides, there were other ways I could help fansub... like being a timer or editor.

I guess anime/manga wasn't the thing that encouraged me to learn Japanese. What did, however, was J-pop. I really love listening to UVERworld, High and Mighty Color, etc etc. I want to understand what they were singing about, too, and translations didn't cut it. D:

It's kind of hard, though. My parents are very anti-Japanese people. My school doesn't offer Japanese either, and I can't learn by myself to save my butt. However, my friend, who takes Japanese at his school, decided to lend me some of his vocab and stuff. I'm going to have fun learning Japanese over the summer. ;D

Suteki
(◎_◎;)
Banned
Send a message via AIM to Suteki Send a message via MSN to Suteki

Old 06-13-2007, 11:32 PM

It's what made me want to learn originally. However, I haven't quit yet because I love the language, and I've planned on learning many other languages, so it's not like I'm preferring Japanese. Though, watching anime and trying to read manga in Japanese does help me recognize a few phrases or kana.

EternalHearts
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to EternalHearts Send a message via Yahoo to EternalHearts

Old 06-14-2007, 03:21 AM

I'm really terrible at learning languages, so no, I don't want to learn Japanese :?

But honestly, I like to know some of the more common phrases, especially because it's so prominent on forums and whatnot, but I honestly have no real interest in learning the language itself. As cool as watching raw anime or being able to read import manga, Japanese is just SO much harder to learn than other languages, and I'm SO bad at it, I'd rather put my energies into something that will be more successful.

Akemi
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-14-2007, 04:08 AM

I've always wanted to learn Japanese despite being terrible at learning them. I finally transferred colleges and got my chance so I took one semester.

I think interest and enthusiasm made up for the fact I really struggle to pick it up. I'm faster as writing but I always forget or don't quite grasp the grammar. Even though I did well it class, I've already forgotten a majority of it after only a few months.
Eventually I'd like to go back and learn more, I'd like to be fluent enough one day so I can read mangas and watch anime without having the wait around for subs.

ToriKat
(ó㉨ò)

Old 06-14-2007, 08:05 PM

• Nah.

I learn what I can just from hearing similar phrases over and over. I'm a very auditory learner when it comes to languages. There's no way in heck will I be able to learn all of the different forms of Japanese to be able to read manga.

Beyond certain animes, mangas, yaoi, and foods, I have little interest in Japan. If I wanted to learn another language for fun, I would choose Spanish and Korean first. It's kind of dumb of me to be stunted at a 5 year old communication level in both of them. XD I like watching Korean dramas more than animes anyways. Yum for real boys. >D

~Blue Strawberry~
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-15-2007, 03:46 PM

Yesh, I would LOVE to fully read and understand Japanese>_<
Mostly because then I could buy Japanese games and manga

Morien
*^_^*

Old 06-15-2007, 11:27 PM

Yes.

I've been studying Japanese for a while now so that I don't have to wait for often poorly translated manga or anime. And so that I can play Sakura Taisen without the translations.

torhu_anime
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to torhu_anime

Old 06-17-2007, 01:48 AM

watching anime in japanese or chinese with english subtile make me want to learn japanese or chinese. but i wanto to learn japanese more since almost all of the anime i saw are in japanese and i also want to go to japan one day after i have a job and have money. i planing to go to japan with my friend and that why i want to learn japanese, also i think japanese are really cool so like yea. also most of the anime just come out, some of them are RAW and dont have english subtile yet. if i know japanese then i could just watch it RAW instead of having to wait for it till the english subtile version come out you know.