Skada
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to Skada

Old 04-10-2007, 05:33 PM

I find I generally like the Japanese with subtitles more than I like the English, but sometimes it's really nice to be able to stick the English on and do something else at the same time. Like type of forums... *whistles innocently*

Molotov21
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-11-2007, 12:42 AM

I perfer Naruto in Japanese. It's just... better. xD I dunno.

I don't think there is a single anime I have seen in English that I prefer over its Japanese counterpart. Either I like them the same, or I prefer the Japanese version. :3

dragon bound
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-11-2007, 12:47 AM

I preffer all anime in it's original form, the only thing I like added is subtitles. I'm not saying I don't watch the dubbed versions, but there are some I avoid like Naruto.. His voice is so annoing.

SleepingPumpkin
\ (•◡•) /
Banned

Old 04-11-2007, 12:58 AM

My first anime was Sailor Moon waaaaay back when and of course I watched it in English because I was 6. I have since seen the japanese and I have no issue with the English version. Cowboy Bebop is good in english too - but for the most part I really really have to say the original Japanese is MUCH BETTER than english dub. Think about a work of art...you wouldn't take the Mona Lisa and change the face to Britney Spears just because it's more modern...no. Anime should stay in its original form, the way it was intended.

I refuse to watch english language Naruto....5 seconds of it was all I could take.

Kongouseki
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 04-11-2007, 01:08 AM

the japanese version of Card Captor Sakura was better for me. some anime, if they have good American voices, like Samurai Champloo, are awesome! but sometimes the way they cut out stuff and the bad choice of voice actors just dont appeal to me overall in English versions. Japanese versions to me are better the majority of the time.

Skada
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-11-2007, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naruru
I don't support anime dubbed. They have the worst voice actors in the world!!! ;_;
i completely disagree with you. i think both languages are art forms, and the english voice actors work just as hard as the japanese ones. just because the voices sound different does not me the actors themselves are any worse.

EmoKillerLol
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to EmoKillerLol

Old 04-12-2007, 04:50 AM

lolz ummm
Death Note
i watch the japanese one
and i still don't get it Dx
but yeah lots of anime are in japanese
and going to be in english
;D

dhaithi

Old 04-12-2007, 05:49 AM

I am a seiyuu!h0, so I prefer my anime in Japanese, there are however a handful of movies (I don't watch whole series' in English so I cannot compare) which I prefer in English than their original Japanese form.

The ones that immediately come to mind is (the first) Ninja Scroll and Mermaid Scar. It sported a rather good English cast, and I found it more to my liking than the Japanese version. (Even if hearing Seki Toshihiko as Yurimaru wins all kinds of awesome.)

zeroSenshi12
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-13-2007, 12:23 AM

I love Fruits Basket. I like the Japanese one, but I like Yuki's voice in the English one a whole lot better. I prefer the English Fruits Basket because I don't have to try to read and watch the actions at the same time. I can't really multitask.

Yuri
Dead Account Holder
n/a
Send a message via AIM to Yuri

Old 04-13-2007, 04:28 AM

I like the japanese better for everything^^ I mean its the original! You can't beat that~
That and I've gotten so used to seeing subs @@

Skada
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-13-2007, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroSenshi12
I love Fruits Basket. I like the Japanese one, but I like Yuki's voice in the English one a whole lot better. I prefer the English Fruits Basket because I don't have to try to read and watch the actions at the same time. I can't really multitask.
Fruba is actually one of the animes I liked the English dub better. the only character i really preferred in japanese was Hana, everything else i liked the english of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoKillerLol
lolz ummm
Death Note
i watch the japanese one
and i still don't get it Dx
but yeah lots of anime are in japanese
and going to be in english
;D
i have yet to get my hands on the english of that. Air Gear was licensed after Death Note, and a copy of the english dub came out within weeks. i've been waiting for Death Note with little luck. is it out and i'm just being silly and not finding it?

ToriKat
(ó㉨ò)

Old 04-13-2007, 06:51 AM

• I like Japanese better. Most English dubs don't match the quality of their voice actors. A lot of Japanese voice actors have many years of experience, and a lot of them, if I remember right, are really good singers too.

I do like a few English dubbed animes though. Cowboy Bebop was pretty good.

I've heard Evangelion in Korean, and it was really great. It's just not possible for English speakers to match the Japanese tone, I guess.

suppi
sleepyhead

Old 04-14-2007, 12:14 AM

I prefer Japanese for all anime. I mean, they were originally jap right? English just makes the characters sound..older and their voices are ugly.

Candiie
(◎_◎;)

Old 04-14-2007, 01:55 AM

i prefer japanese because the english dubs, people sound really gay in it. like in bleach, hitsugaya toshirou sounds as gay as ever. he sounds so cute in japanese though! ;3
i wish he would sound that cute in the english version :3
but noooo, the english voices have to be so low and sound so gay D;

mangacatgirl
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-14-2007, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naruru
I don't support anime dubbed. They have the worst voice actors in the world!!! ;_;
That's a highly elitist comment o.O;

I happen to know several anime voice actors and they do a great job. It depends on a lot of points.

One: What studio did the dubbing.
Two: When it was dubbed.

A lot of older dubs I'll admit weren't great, but they've improved so much over the years. You can't judge every dub when you haven't watched them all.

A lot of people also say that the Japanese versions are better because the voices match the characters better in their original form... The characters in most anime were taken from manga... Where they have no voices... Studios in JP did auditions for people to play the character voices just like studios in the US do when it gets licensed here... Neither voice is any more right or wrong for the character. The character originated without a voice... People tried to fill in the gap... That's it.

Some people say they are tired of hearing the same voice actors in dubs play the characters. I'm not sure if maybe you aren't able to tell since it's in Japanese, but I am constantly hearing the same actors do the Japanese voices for characters as well.

I think I've covered all the points I wanted to make... I'm not pro one and against the other... I like both... Some dubs aren't done well... I'll agree on that... But they aren't all bad, and it's unfair to claim that.

.p.uddin.g.
Dead Account Holder
n/a

Old 04-14-2007, 07:37 AM

i dont know japanese language so i prefer english
but if the japanese anime got subtitles so its okay..

Skada
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-14-2007, 05:22 PM

mangacatgirl ~ thank you so much for your post. i really appreciate it. i'm a fan of english dubs, because i'm a fan of how awesomely hard americans work for them. a lot of time and effort goes into bringing us those dubs, and i really respect that. i really enjoy hearing the same actors get better and better over the years. i think it's another form of art that goes into bringing us the anime we love so much.

Sakura Mikage
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to Sakura Mikage Send a message via MSN to Sakura Mikage Send a message via Yahoo to Sakura Mikage

Old 04-15-2007, 07:19 AM

Like the majority of the previous posts, I prefer Japanese to English dubs. The exceptions are listed below:

Project A-ko
Battle Angel Alita
Weiß Kreüz
Digi0on 01 & 02 (I like both versions)
Blue Seed
Fruits Basket
Golden Boy
Gundam Wing (I like both versions)

The much bigger anime list that I'm not even going to attempt to list is preferred in Japanese.

Mimi
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-15-2007, 08:04 AM

Well, i strongly perfer japanese with either english or German subtitles. No dub can be as good as the original and, no offense please, english dub often brings me to laugh out loud. German dub does so too sometimes (i remember the German slayers dub, it was awful), but I am more used to that anyhow.

Skada
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-15-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi
Well, i strongly perfer japanese with either english or German subtitles. No dub can be as good as the original and, no offense please, english dub often brings me to laugh out loud. German dub does so too sometimes (i remember the German slayers dub, it was awful), but I am more used to that anyhow.
i have a friend in Portugal who says the Portuguese dubs are also ridiculous. but she says the reason is that there aren't dubbing studios in Portugal like there are in the US. she says it's just a bunch of off-the-way actors, who weren't necessarily trained for voice acting at all...

Sassandra
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-14-2007, 09:50 PM

Photon the Idiot Adventures sounds way way way better in japanese. you put it in english and there's no emotion in anybody's english voices. so it's really boring. and wow is it such an improvement in japanese.

Zefster
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-15-2007, 07:13 PM

I usually like the japanese better than english, simply because its what I watch first and that's what I get used to. XD Not to mention BAD dubs and all that, like One Piece for example. Though one english dub I do like is Crayon Shin-chan, it makes me giggle :lol:

KameOolong
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-15-2007, 11:02 PM

If the dubbing is tolerable and not annoying I will defiantly listen to it, rather then reading the small yellow or white text at the bottom of my rather small TV screen.

But sometimes more then just the voices change with the audio tracks.. In the original Dominion Tank Police DVD, the english version has completely different background music then the Japanese version.. It was really bad synth music with some repetitive singer.

morph
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-16-2007, 12:47 AM

usually i prefer the japanese dub of it. but if the voices are tolarable in english sure i'll listen to it. um like peach girl and tsubasa chronciles [ i own the funimation dubs ] i found to be ok.

elissis
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-16-2007, 02:32 AM

i much prefer anime to be in japanese, with subtitles of course ^^

most of the dubbed versions in english are kind of weird to me..
it feels wrong.
but sometimes i have no choice.. like on tv, they'll used dubbed versions (most of which the voices are not very tolerable..)