Vanidar
On short term hiatus. Be back wh...
Send a message via Yahoo to Vanidar

Old 12-24-2009, 08:44 AM

Your hangout instantly struck my fancy :3 And as I believed it would be, the whole thing is as generally dark and morbid as I could ever hope.

If you don't mind my inquiring, what sort of art is it that your freebie-ing?

KageShio
Warning: Unrestrained Audiophile

Old 12-24-2009, 09:19 AM

I am glad you approve of my humble thread. As for my Art, I am as of right now giving five free pictures to lucky ghouls such as yourself. I suppose I should give a few examples, hm?

I am only doing digital art as I have limited scanner access. If you would like to pluck one of the free slots, you are welcome to do so. Just give me an inkling of the type of drawing you would like.

Vanidar

Old 12-24-2009, 05:39 PM

I would most definetely like to pluck one of the empty slots. As for an 'inkling of idea', the bloodied heart you gave as a sample is beautiful. Macabre, but still beautiful. Something like that or along those lines would be perfect.

KageShio

Old 12-25-2009, 08:06 AM

I am thrilled to hear that! I will put your name in the first slot, but I doubt I will be able to get to it before the holidays are over. Do you want the piece to be of a heart? Or just that style in general?

Vanidar

Old 12-26-2009, 06:07 AM

Either is fine :3 I'm not picky in the least and if it were a heart, that'd be good. If you wanted to get creative and come up with something other than that in the same style, that'd be just as
As for not being able to have it before the holidays are over, that's completely alright also.

I'm a very easy customer to get along with

KageShio

Old 12-26-2009, 06:09 AM

I am glad to hear it. I will probably doodle tonight and start it tomorrow.

Vanidar

Old 12-26-2009, 06:16 AM

Hooray! /Curtsies deeply/

Now, as for the other subject of this thread. Though I'm quite knowledgeable about the supernatural (the fae, the were-folk, etc.), I'd like to know about your 'version' of vampires. There are so many nowadays; everything from the Twilight vampires (/shudders at their pure idiocy/) to the more traditional version such as is found in the Anne Rice novels. What is your take on them?

KageShio

Old 12-26-2009, 06:33 AM

I have my own "kind" I suppose. It is a blend of traditional and my own ideas. Not all vampires come from one bloodline is a major thing. There are the old lines that are mostly extinct, then the newer ones that are better suited to the world as it is. The older lines are much more traditional, ranging from having no reflection/shadow, not being able to cross running water, cannot enter a building without invitation, ect.

The newer bloodlines are much more adapted, water cannot harm most of them, entering is no problem, reflections, garlic might not harm them, they might even be able to withstand sunlight for short amounts of time, the possibilities are endless. Another thing is that it's not just Christianity that hurts them. Any Holy item, word or image can harm them if it is used with conviction. Without true belief in the artifact, the cross could be made of silver and have no effect.

"True" Vampires have so many weaknesses it's ridiculous! They are a species and all species evolve. Therefore the younger kinds evolved and adapted to the world better than the old bloods.

Vanidar

Old 12-26-2009, 06:47 AM

That sounds much more plausible than anything I've heard about vampires lately. "Real vampires sparkle!" Isn't something you want to hear when trying to get a knowledgeable answer.

About the religious artifact, I agree. I think that it was only written as the cross being harmful to them because Christianity was the 'major' religion of the time. Vampiric myths were aimed mainly at a certain people when they were first created and as far as I know, they were mainly devout Catholics.

Though you talk about adaptation, is adaptation possible for a species that is technically 'dead'?

KageShio

Old 12-26-2009, 06:52 AM

I believe so. They are created from a creature that is highly adaptable, and is constantly changing to the world about it so I think it would only make sense for the line to adapt with every new generation.

Vanidar

Old 12-26-2009, 06:58 AM

Ahhhhhh... That's reasonable. If a 'modern' human were changed, they would have traits and characteristics different than that of previous generations because they had different traits and characteristics in their human life. Or something similar to this.

KageShio

Old 12-26-2009, 07:11 AM

Exactly. I am glad you are able to see my views. I have had discussions with vampire "fans" before and they are so convinced that vampires are these romantic, weak-but-amazingly-strong night dwellers.It is so frustrating!

Vanidar

Old 12-26-2009, 07:28 AM

Oh I know how you feel. I've a friend who is so obsessed with the cliche Twilight vampires that she has memorized the entire first book and 3/4 of the second. She can quote the third and fourth almost as well as if she wrote them herself. It irks me.

I do believe that vampirism is romantic though, but that's only because I have a thing for biting and blood.

KageShio

Old 12-26-2009, 07:36 AM

Haha, Agreed, however there is much less love in the romance as lust tends to take it's place. The mystery, the pain, the pleasure and the danger is all so alluring, is it not?

Vanidar

Old 12-26-2009, 07:50 AM

Of course. The vampire lusts after it's victims blood and body while enticing it's prey to lust after their own. It's quite a successful tactic I'd say.

More than alluring. In my own case, it's absolutely fascinating. How a person can be afraid of the dark, yet attracted to the things that haunt it, how someone can fear pain but gain pleasure from it at the same time, it's... mindblowing. Completely true for me. Yet, mindblowing.

Though don't take that wrong. I'm not afraid of the dark or the night, I practically haunt it myself.

KageShio

Old 12-26-2009, 08:37 AM

Humans generally have a very hard time when their fears become anything but. They respond with more fear, but lust and intrigue as well. It is... enthralling, titillating and enrapturing, as well as terrifying. I live for the race of my pulse, My fears facing me and I them. It is part of my love of the night. I used to be terrified of it, it swallowed the light and took the warmth from the world. Now I see it in all it's cold beauty, the light of the moon my path.

Lune Selet
Tsuki no Hime

Old 12-28-2009, 05:25 AM

I show my darkside with my goth boots! Hi all, wut I miss?

KageShio

Old 12-28-2009, 05:34 AM

You have not missed much, Lune. It has been slow here at Morbid Curiosity.

Vanidar

Old 12-28-2009, 09:01 PM

I used to be the same. I feared not only darkness but everything dark. Even my shadow. Now, I rarely function under the sun, only drawing myself out long enough to please the world (my mother /sigh/).

I'm a very strong believer in a part of Native American religion. It's the belief in spirit animals or spirit guides. Mine... Is the wolf. It suits me quite well.

Xellora
Savvy?
Send a message via AIM to Xellora Send a message via MSN to Xellora

Old 12-28-2009, 10:12 PM

Interesting indeed.

Hello there everyone, I'd like to be part of this hangout. It seems to be the only one thus far that has caught my attention.

I noticed you were talking earlier about these "Twilight Creatures" I dare not call them vampires... it's an insult to the race. Seriously - sparkling vampires... really? Don't get me started on the writing, my nine year old cousin could write a vampire tale better than that woman. Hmmm, it seems adding a night-light to the darkness gets you famous; I'll write a tale about a zombie who falls in love with a woman and every time they touch he glows rainbow colors. Alright, that's enough of that. I'm very 'big' on Vampires... I could go on for days.

How do you let your Darkside show?

To be perfectly honest my dear there isn't a moment where the darkness isn't shown.

Vanidar

Old 12-29-2009, 03:33 AM

I agree. The whole idea... sparkles?! Really. Couldn't she have come up with something more along the lines of... I don't know. Something less... shiny. Hell, transparency would have been better. "Edward in the sun was amazing. His skin was transparent, like glass that had been shined and washed of all smudges." Even THAT would have been more well written. Which is sad... because even to me that is just awful.

I found a quote from the star of the Twilight movies that I happen to like. I belive it is completely true and should be seen by anyone who is actually a fan of the books/movies.

Robert Pattinson:

Quote:
"When you read the book, It's like, 'Edward Cullen was so beautiful I creamed myself.' I mean, every line is like that. He's the most ridiculous person who's so amazing at everything. I think a lot of actors tried to play that aspect. I just couldn't do that. And the more I read the script, the more I hated the the guy, so that's how I played him. As a manic depressive who hates himself. Oh! Plus, he's a 108 yr. old virgin. There's got to be some issues there."

Quite amusing.

KageShio

Old 12-30-2009, 04:21 PM

Hello Xellora, and welcome to Morbid Curiosity. I fully agree with you, those creatures are not Vampires, they are closer to Faeries if anything. As for the writing, I can't stand it. It is at such a mediocre level that I could not read the first two pages, let alone the book. Speaking of books, I'd read it, a book about a rainbow zombie, as long as the writing style was above middle-school grade level.

Vanidar, I apologize but I will not get to working on your art request until after the beginning of the month, as I am out of town and I don't have my tablet with me. I am happy to say, however, that I too follow a large part of the Native American faith. My guides are Snake, Crow and Owl. Non-Native animal guides I have are Tiger and Shark.

Last edited by KageShio; 12-30-2009 at 04:24 PM..

Vanidar

Old 12-31-2009, 12:52 AM

Time is of no concern to me. You can get it to me whenever you find the time.

As for guides, the only one of mine that I'm completely sure of as of yet is the Wolf. This one I've known for a while, but recently (somewhat recently) had it confirmed. Was on vacation and I entered a store of Native American art and paraphernelia. Was looking around and said nary a thing when the shop clerk, a small withered old Native American steps to my side. He smiles at me and nods his head and says "You are of the wolf. I'm regretful to say that we have few items for those along that path, but I can show you what we do have." It shocked me. I'd not talked to the man at all but somehow he knew.

Lavender
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to Lavender

Old 01-01-2010, 11:16 PM

hello everyone =)
this thread's topic caught my attention and although i may not be as passionate about it and have as much knowledge to share as many of u i'd love to be a part of this discussion and learn ^^

Xellora
Savvy?
Send a message via AIM to Xellora Send a message via MSN to Xellora

Old 01-07-2010, 04:39 AM

@Vanidar: Precisely! Transparency would have been a hundred times better than sparkly vampires. It is awful, but it's better than this diamond effect. I found it absolutely hilarious when I went to a store and they were selling a shimmer body spray called 'Twilight Mist.' Advertisement was as follows: Now YOU can sparkle like the Cullens from Twilight! I must be completely honest.. I wanted to set fire to the stand and watch it burn and turn to ash and as the ashes floated through the air I would stand and proudly say, "That's what happens to a REAL vampire in the sun..." or something like that.. my imagination can run wild at times.

@KageShio: They are closer to the Fae's... but even that would be an insult to the sentient beings. I will write it now, my story about a rainbow zombie. Just for kicks.. you never know friends, I might make it big! Then I'll make a sequel... our main characters best friend happens to turn into a rare fuzzy apricot newt when angered... or something like that. In any case, it will dominate this flagrant attempt at a vampiric tale.

Unofficial welcome, Lavendar.