hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 11-13-2012, 06:10 PM

i just saw a gnnochi recipe on the chew i would LOVE to try!

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 11-14-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMagenta View Post
Lindt make a chilli dark chocolate.
I've had this but it's not as good as the stuff where they use actual chilli flakes and powder in it. Lindt only use according to the packaging, chilli essence and probably not much of it either.

KatMagenta
Starlet on the rise

Old 11-14-2012, 11:29 AM

Interesting, it's not something I would have thought to check.

Thorntons make a chilli dark chocolate as well but I know they're definitely UK based. You could always make your own in a pinch.

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 11-15-2012, 12:36 AM

Most probably could KatMagenta, But I've never bothered making chocolate in my life and don't think I would try. There are so many good chocolates available already.

KatMagenta
Starlet on the rise

Old 11-15-2012, 12:33 PM

Making chocolate from scratch does seem like more effort than it's worth.

I don't know if you could just combine chilli and chocolate in any sense or it would lose the flavour from being infused.

Damia Flagg
(^(エ)^)
Penpal

Old 11-16-2012, 01:18 AM

I don't know. I've never tried making chocolate before either. I think I will look next time I make it to the store to see what flavors & varieties of chocolate are available here.

I have made truffles before. Can't remember if I have shared this one before or not. Raspberry Truffle Cups Recipe from Betty Crocker
It makes a nice gift, especially for Valentines Day.

This is one that I want to try.
Mint Truffle Cups Recipe from Betty Crocker

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 11-16-2012, 01:37 AM

I think the closest thing I've done to making chocolate is melting chocolate and then filling moulds for easter. This was way back as a kid in primary school though. I must admit to having melted cooking chocolate to use in other chocolate recipes though.

Damia Flagg
(^(エ)^)
Penpal

Old 11-19-2012, 05:09 AM

I have done some of the melted chocolate in the candy molds, but not very many.
I have some nice molds, rarely get to use them.
Avalei: please join me.

Avalei
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 11-19-2012, 05:10 AM

Hi everyone!

Damia Flagg
(^(エ)^)
Penpal

Old 12-30-2012, 01:40 PM

This recipe Southwestern Three-Bean & Barley Soup Recipe | Eating Well looks good especially with as cold as it has been lately.
I would probably substitute another bean for the black beans. I just don't like them. I would probably leave out the celery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acobjum View Post
Top Secret Recipes | Hostess Twinkie Recipe Even though they aren't making more Twinkees, you can always make your own.
so we can find this later.
Acobjum: I just wanted you to see where I was putting this.

Last edited by Damia Flagg; 12-30-2012 at 10:09 PM..

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 01-03-2013, 04:47 AM

i want to find my gramma's pepper cookie recipe to post for ou.

llonka
Momma to the Crazies!

Penpal

Old 01-03-2013, 05:51 AM

Hiya Dami! I'll have post some more recipe for you.

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 01-04-2013, 12:42 AM

Ooh, I saw all the chili chocolate convo earlier in the page, it made me think of Spiced Hot Cocoa Mix~

Sooo goood~ So rich, but what's the point of cocoa that's not rich?

Damia Flagg
(^(エ)^)
Penpal

Old 01-07-2013, 07:46 PM

I can't remember if I ever posted the original version.
Newer version: Southern Sukiyaki

This was a fun dish to make with lots of friends around. Each person helped with different stages of the dish.

Super Dashi
3 larger baby portabella mushrooms & cut into quarters
3 cups water
5 chicken (beef or vegetable) bullion cubes

In a large sauce pan put mushrooms in water, cover & bring to a boil. After boiling reduce heat & add bullion cubes. Cover & simmers until cubes are dissolved. You can remove the mushrooms, we decided not to remove them.

Sukiyaki Sauce
1 cup of sugar
¼ of cooking rice wine
1 1/2 cup of soy sauce
Super Dashi
2 pints of water
Make sauce by combining all ingredients.

In a large electric roasting pan mix together & bring to a boil.

Begin cooking 2 bundles of Udon Noodles to add to Sukiyaki.
Begin cooking 2 cups of Long Grain White Rice in Rice Cooker.

Sukiyaki
1 lb of thinly sliced beef roast (the meat dept will slice it for free) can be left like that or cut into strips
1 lb of chicken (boneless & skinless) cut into strips
1 lb pork loin or pork roast cut into strips
1 large packet of firm tofu ( cut into cubes)
1 small bag of shredded/matchstick carrot
@ 1 lb portabella mushrooms, cut into thin slices (minus whatever you used in the super dashi)
2 bundles green onions, chopped
1 head of Napa Cabbage or Bok Choy chopped
5 small red potatoes thinly sliced
2 zucchini thinly sliced
1 large onion sliced .
A few sprigs of fresh parsley, chopped
2 pack of Udon noodles, cooked & drained
Vegetable oil
2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of dried or fried garlic

Melt butter in Wok, add oil when bubbling then add fried/dried garlic. Next add onions, cook until almost clear. Add one cup of Sukiyaki sauce. Begin adding meat a handful of pieces at a time. Don’t overload meat, or it will not get cooked well. As meat is browning push to side of wok & add more meat & sukiyaki sauce. Don’t let it dry out or it will burn.

As sukiyaki sauce is starting to boiling in the roasting pan begin potatoes. They will need to most time to cook.
After boiling begin adding: onions, mushrooms, zucchini, carrots, & cabbage little bits at a time & stir, continue until all are added. Add tofu, parsley & udon noodles stir every few minutes. Begin adding the meats.
Stir & reduce heat & place lid on roaster & simmer for about an 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Can be served over rice. Season to taste.

This was an experiment on altering Sukiyaki. I think it turned out pretty well.
We had ours for lunch & let it continue to simmer until dinner. The longer it cooked the better it taste. By dinner time the meat was extremely tender, but it was hard to tell the meats apart. This served 5 people for 2 meals & still had leftovers. This was a nice way to spend a day with friends & everyone was involved in preparing the dish.

Things to do different next time. (I have altered the recipe to reflect the things we would change.)
The potatoes needed more time to cook.
Less tofu (we added 2 packs - 1 would have been better).
Less cooking wine & more soy sauce.
Maybe less water at the beginning.
More udon noodles.

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 01-18-2013, 03:42 AM

I made French Onion Soup today, and the whole house still smells like it. Coming in from outside makes your stomach growl, and it was super easy!

French Onion Soup
9 Medium Yellow Onions, sliced
3 tbsp butter
salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried sage
1 tbsp dried parsley
1/2 cup white wine
32 oz Beef Stock

Crusty bread
Gruyere or Swiss cheese

Equipment: I used a 16" electric skillet because the temperature control is awesome, but a soup pot on medium heat would work well, too. If you have a mandolin in your kitchen, this is the time to use it, otherwise it'll take ages to get all the onions cut, and if you're like me you'll have to run out of the room and cry like a baby every 2 minutes. A mandolin makes the slicing fast enough that I can get almost all the onions finished before I break down.

Set the electric skillet on 300F (or set your stove on medium with a large soup pot) and melt the butter in the bottom. Slice the onions into thin rings-- I went for about 1/8". Put about an inch deep layer of onion slices in your cooking vessel, sprinkle with a little salt, and repeat until you're out of onions. If you use a skillet, it will probably get very full, but that's okay! Onions cook down a lot.

Now the hard part: Wait about 15-20 minutes-- I use this time to go cry and wash my eyes. Whatever you do during that time, don't stir the onions, and don't worry if you think they're burning... because they will burn. After that 15 minutes you can stir the onions, and the bottom layer will be brown with spots of burnt and caramelized onion. Add your minced garlic and keep cooking the onions, stirring occasionally, until they're done to your taste. Most recipes tell you to cook them until they're all mahogany-brown and caramelized, but I find that makes the soup way too sweet for my tastes-- I call it when they're about halfway caramelized.

Now deglaze the pan with the wine, which is fancy chef talk for pouring it in there and making sure you scrape the burnt bits off the bottom and mix them with the wine. Cook 5-10 more minutes to let most of the wine evaporate and then add the herbs and beef stock and turn down to low. Simmer for at least 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. I usually get to this point really early and let it simmer for an hour or more, because I hate having dinner late.

While the soup's simmering, move an oven rack to the top third of your oven. You might want to check that your soup bowls will fit at this point, because it's a pain adjusting that rack again after you've had the broiler on. Once that's done, set the broiler for 500F. Slice pieces of crusty bread and place them on a baking sheet, then place them under the broiler. Watch carefully, because it won't take them long to toast, and once they toast they'll burn in no time.

Now dish up your soup into oven-safe serving bowls-- I recommend putting the bowls on your baking sheet, in case of overflow and because it's just plain easier to get them in and out of the oven-- and put the bread toasted-side down on top. Sprinkle with the shredded cheese and put back under the broiler until the cheese is bubbly and browned.

Finally, the best part... eating!

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 01-18-2013, 05:23 AM

i love french onion soup

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 01-19-2013, 06:09 PM

I think... I may have just sold my soul on accident. There's no way these things don't involve a pact with the devil. And I haven't even finished warming up the oven yet!

Pictures will follow. >.>

Damia Flagg
(^(エ)^)
Penpal

Old 01-20-2013, 12:30 AM

Those do sound so good.
I heard about a recipe today at work that I want to get.
It was called a sunshine cake.
Apparently it is made from an orange supreme cake mix, mandarin oranges & oil.
Need to get measurements & times. I asked for a copy of the recipe.
Then iced with whip cream & pineapples.
The lady who was telling me about it got it from another lady that we work with.
She said she also added other stuff to the recipe like coconut & pecans.
The cake sounds good so I would love to get the recipe so I can try it.
When I get the recipe I will share it.

star2000shadow
☽⚝☾

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to star2000shadow Send a message via MSN to star2000shadow

Old 01-23-2013, 12:51 PM

ohh.. oh those sound and look SOOOO good.. 'eyes the food wairly' and would so be bad for my diet..

Serenus
*^_^*

Old 01-26-2013, 12:27 AM

*Rolls in*
Anyone remember me?

spunky
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 01-26-2013, 12:29 AM

hi there Serenus. XD

Serenus
*^_^*

Old 01-26-2013, 12:30 AM

Why hello!

spunky
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 01-26-2013, 12:31 AM

Unfortunately I am leaving now but I will be back on later. :)

Serenus
*^_^*

Old 01-26-2013, 12:32 AM

Awesome; I'll be here. :3

spunky
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 01-26-2013, 02:44 AM

hiya Serenus. o.o -leaves tray of cookies-