Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 02-27-2012, 06:20 PM

I'm not sure if they'll let you return nail polishes... But I'll check. They didn't have another color that I liked, though, so I'm not sure what I'd exchange it for.

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 02-27-2012, 07:18 PM

I flip-flopped on getting that bright red they had, but I decided it was way too vibrant for me.

I went ahead and put all three colors on my nails, alternating. Hubby said my nails looked like a 70's kitchen :gonk:

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-27-2012, 09:02 PM

Cherry, polka dots!! :ninja: :lol:

Seriously though, using the minty colour for small accents on top of a more neutral shade could look nice :) Just a thin stripe or something could look cool :yes:

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-28-2012, 12:11 AM

@ Cherry: I agree with Jelly on using the mint just for a bit of decoration. That's probably what I'll end up doing with the yellow I bought.

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-28-2012, 12:35 AM

:yes:

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-28-2012, 01:53 AM

I really like that top one, Knerd :yes:

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 02-28-2012, 02:00 AM

Jelly is all about the polka dots :lol:

It's too bad our avis don't have visible nails :ninja:

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-28-2012, 03:19 AM

I like polka dots :ninja:

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 02-28-2012, 06:35 AM

Yeah, maybe I should go with my original idea and use the mint for the bottom of a moon manicure.

Now another color that I got is defying me. :stare: The Wet Cement color looked like a dark gray on this website I looked at, but opening the bottle, it's more like a grayish purple. What. It had better dry a different color... So help me if the dusty rose isn't nice, I'm going to throw a fit, the whole purchase would be for naught. :stare:

Leni
(-.-)zzZ

Old 02-28-2012, 04:39 PM

I really like that top picture too. I'll have to try something like that sometime. :ninja:

I cut my nails and my hands feel naked. ):

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 02-28-2012, 05:35 PM

I was looking for some pattern ideas and came across this. Terrifying!

I wonder what she does for a living that she can keep her nails that way. I can't even type well if my nails are too long!

This one is for Jelly though:

Last edited by Keyori; 02-28-2012 at 05:38 PM..

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 02-28-2012, 08:44 PM

Yikes, they're like talons! :o Not attractive at all. More like scary.

The polka dots are cute, though!

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-29-2012, 12:15 AM

POLKA DOTS! She's got top coat all over her fingers though xD WHY do people post pictures of their nails when they're all messy!!

Those claws look really horrible :lol:

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 02-29-2012, 03:50 AM

So the megalast is finally coming off of my nails. I've sortof helped it along, heh, but the biggest difference with other kinds I've used in the past is that this stuff takes nail with it :lol:

I definitely will need to wait before painting again.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 02-29-2012, 04:10 AM

Yeah, it's not something you want to try to chip off, you'll need to use a remover.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 03-05-2012, 09:48 PM

Hey Knerd: how is that nail hardener working for you? My nails have been a little weak, I'm wondering if I should give it a try.

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-06-2012, 12:12 AM

I really haven't noticed any difference. :no:

I suspect that my nails are even a bit more flaky than before. Now when the polish chips off, a bit of nail goes with it. All the Sally Hansen stuff succeeds in doing is giving my nails a pretty gloss for up to 5 days. They're really no longer than they were a couple weeks ago.

Which is a shame. I was really hoping that this would help, but it hasn't fixed the problem so much as just covered it up.

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 03-06-2012, 12:21 AM

This Megalast stuff ain't so bad for the price. I still have a fair amount that just will not chip off (I don't have any nail polish remover). Normally by now it'd all be gone. I had to finally trim my nails, it was getting hard for me to type. I don't know if maybe I'm just weird for typing with my fingertips instead of my pads, but I just can't have my nails too long.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 03-06-2012, 04:06 AM

I took mine off with a remover a few days ago. I'm going to give my nails some time to recover, then I want to try the light pink I got, Sugar Coat. :)

And yeah, you're weird. :P

Knerd - Aww, that's a shame. Sorry it didn't help! :(

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-06-2012, 05:52 PM

I use that hardener as well but not all the time so I figured that's probably why I haven't really gotten good results with it. It's still a nice clear to use when you just want bare nails. I cut my nails short and was planning to use it last week but decided it would be better just to leave my nails bare for awhile since they've gotten pretty weak from all the polish I've been using recently.

Has anyone seen/tried this polish yet?

I'm really tempted to but I'm not sure. I've heard some mixed reviews. It advertizes 11 days with no chipping but if you read the fine print, those results are only based on using the line's base and top coats. I'm interested in the Midnight color (top right corner) but I'm not sure I want to buy two other polishes just to wear it. I saw these at Bed Bath and Beyond for I think $5.50 a bottle but I've heard you can also get them at CVS and Walgreens. Right now ulta.com has them on sale buy two get one free, which would be nice except for the fact that they're $8.00 each. V_V

Last edited by zigbigadorlube; 03-06-2012 at 05:55 PM..

llonka
Momma to the Crazies!

Penpal

Old 03-06-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigbigadorlube View Post
Click on thumbnail for full view

I got some new nail polish during a trip to the mall the other day and upon applying it, realized that it was matte (not shiny)! I was a bit surprised as I've never seen a polish like that before and I have to admit that I don't really like it. I put a clear glossy coat over top to make it shiny like the colors that I usually wear but it got me thinking that you might be able to do some neat effects with it (like in the picture above).

Has anyone else ever seen a polish like this before? What do you think of matte effect?

Also, feel free to stick around and discuss all things related to manicures, nail polish/lacquer, and nail art. I'd also love to see some pictures if anyone's willing to share!
i love this! ^ i'll have to try it...

i just got some orange polish and white crackle from Avon. i'm dying to try it, but i'll wait till after this weekend. currently my nails are olive green with brown tips. :'D let me get a piccy for ya! it will match my outfit for a party on saturday. yes i'm silly like that.

needs touched up...

Last edited by llonka; 03-06-2012 at 06:08 PM..

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-06-2012, 06:11 PM

@ llonka: Ooh, looks good! I've been thinking about doing my nails green for St. Patrick's day...

Here are two other nail polish lines I've been wondering about recently:

L'Oreal Pro Manicure

The bottles look really nice which I think is part of the reason why I'm sort of drawn to them but I haven't seriously considered buying any shades. The line has it's own base and top coats.

On L'Oreal's website I found some really helpful advice on caring for your nails too:

Quote:
Mastering the Manicure

Tips and tricks for the most beautiful nails.

Home manicures are the perfect way to primp without having to pay salon prices. Follow these simple steps to make your nails look their very best.

Start with the Essentials

To keep your nails looking beautiful, you’ll want to perform a touch-up every week or two. You’ll need nail-polish remover, a nail file, clippers, a cuticle pusher, and cotton swabs.

Prepare Your Hands

Before you begin, make sure your old polish is removed, your hands are clean, and your cuticles are supple. A good soak in sudsy warm water will soften hands and prep them for manicuring.

Care for Cuticles

Healthy cuticles are the key to strong nails, so you’ll want to care for them every one to two weeks. With a gentle, consistent motion, push cuticles back, making sure you’re not pushing too far into the nail bed. If cuticles lift up, they need to be trimmed carefully with scissors.

Determine Your Shape

Round nails have a softer, more natural look, while square nails offer a touch of sophistication. Softer nails tend to do better with a rounded shape because it allows them to grow stronger without splitting.

Perfecting Your Polish

Always use a base coat. It helps maintain the integrity of the nail and nourish it. Once the base coat has dried thoroughly, apply one to two top coats, moving in a consistent motion from the base of the nail to the tip. Always be sure to let polish dry between coats. Add a top coat for shine and longer-lasting wear. It also prevents chipping.
Quote:
How to Whiten Nails

A light buffing will remove discoloration and restore your nails to their natural color.

Soak

Squeeze fresh lemon juice into a small bowl and then soak your nails for a few minutes. The natural acidity helps remove impurities and discoloration.

Line

Use a white nail pencil to line the tips of your nails from the inside out, creating a brighter appearance.

Treat

Stay polish-free and treat your nails to moisturizer and cuticle oil to make them healthy and strong.
And here is the other line I'm sort of interested in:

It advertizes that it's supposed to care for your nails while allowing you to wear color. It's an interesting idea but they only have pastel shades.

llonka
Momma to the Crazies!

Penpal

Old 03-06-2012, 06:13 PM

haha that's why they are green... i thought next week i'd do a darker green with white tips and try the hello kitty thing! :rofl:

i like those pastel colors, too bad they don't have darker ones though. i'm more of a dark color girl. :lol:

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-06-2012, 06:36 PM

I only have one green so I figure I'll wait until close to the day to paint my nails with it. In the meantime I'm itching to paint them something else. I haven't worn any polish in about a week and looking up those different things made me want to do something with my nails. ^^;

I have more medium tones I guess but I have a few lighter and darker shades just to change things up.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 03-06-2012, 07:50 PM

If you try any of those polishes, zig, let us know how they go! I'm curious too. :D