`Rockstar
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 08-19-2013, 02:17 AM

Kat:; oh okay haha I get it xD sorry~

and maybe it's like a generation thing? because I know you see a lot of professional artists on DA, but a lot of them have gone to artschool and are looking at working in the artistic field as a career. they're more mature about it, and most of the time a little older than the people you would see on an avatar site. Where as a lot of the people on avatar sites would rather sell art for that site's currency, a lot of other artists on DA would prefer IRL commissions. huh o uo

seito:: haha i'm sorry, i think i started it ; v;

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-19-2013, 02:22 AM

I would prefer IRL commissions but no one will even look at my stuff!!!
I love going to an art school and all, but I hate the path they train you to go down. I would rather be a cheap artists that does commercial art than someone who spends their life selling out of a gallery. I hate the gallery system and I don't even want any kind of career in the art field. That's the one thing that majoring in art has taught me.

`Rockstar
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 08-19-2013, 02:34 AM

eep ; n;

well I don't know much about the art profession since it's never anything i thought i would do professionally, but I know that it can be really rough sometimes. i've heard some horror stories from friends of mine both in real life and online @__@ Why is the gallery life bad? o uo

I did irl commissions once ; v; it was fun. busts for $2.50 a pop xD then my sister smacked me literally in the back of the head and told me i should charge more than that b/c i was basically doing them for free anyway. she's so bossy ; n;

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 08-19-2013, 02:37 AM

Haha no no. It's interesting to read. I don't consider myself an artist of traditional or digital style (I mean the origami alone places me somewhere in the 3d abstract side of things).

Commissions are epically fun though. Do them at cons! 8D They're really great!

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-19-2013, 02:43 AM

I try to sell between 10 and 15 dollars for my stuff because that seemed like a reasonable price, but maybe it's too high...
I just don't like the gallery life because it doesn't appeal to me. It doesn't suit me or my art at all. I never once thought about my art hanging in a gallery or museum despite wanting to be an artist all my life and I still can't picture it there. That's the most obvious sign that I shouldn't go that route.

I'm never been to a con actually, Seito. I don't have a car and I hate to drive anyway.
you're a craft and pixel artist obviously.

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 08-19-2013, 03:11 AM

Nah that sounds pretty reasonable all things considered. owo b

Aww. Cons are great because people are looking for commissions and their purse strings are pretty loose. (You come to a con knowing you're going to spend money after all). Poor art isn't the sure sign of lack of commissions, I find it's usually the lack visibility. If you don't have like 1000+ people watching/following you or a popular artist telling other people about your commissions, most people won't ever find you. D: (I've been commissioned at cons but I had my commissions open online on DA and yet have to get any).

Hehe that is true. :3

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-19-2013, 03:14 AM

I try to get links in to my DA journal for commissions, but I really can't get anything. I have close to 50 watchers in all, but I doubt more than 5 look at my art. I don't even get more than 3 views on a drawing most of the time, let alone a comment or a fav. But I put a link to the IRL commission page the front of all of my art shops, saying you'll get something better and quicker if you pay with real money. I don't know how to get exposure.

Katherdante
。❛ヮ❛...

Old 08-19-2013, 04:21 AM

Hello there other Kat. :3
Cool characters!

I might enter if I have time around work. <3
But do you like semi-realism? A lot of people on forum sites just want anime...

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-19-2013, 04:44 AM

hello there person with a ridiculous amount of gold. *jealous*
thanks.
And I think I said it somewhere that I like all kinds of art. I really do. I don't even prefer anime.
I think this contest will be around for a while though, so you'll probably have time. I'll probably have to extend it again.

Katherdante
。❛ヮ❛...

Old 08-19-2013, 04:49 AM

I see I see I see...

I have a contest too! :D
It's funny that there are only a few active contests and two of them are by Kats! KATS UNITE!
We have infiltrated their homes and taken over the internet. Even now we are developing thumbs!
Wahahaha!! We shall reign supreme. >•̀ω•́<

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 08-19-2013, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat Dakuu View Post
I try to get links in to my DA journal for commissions, but I really can't get anything. I have close to 50 watchers in all, but I doubt more than 5 look at my art. I don't even get more than 3 views on a drawing most of the time, let alone a comment or a fav. But I put a link to the IRL commission page the front of all of my art shops, saying you'll get something better and quicker if you pay with real money. I don't know how to get exposure.
I find spamming the groups is a good way :O Like if you're drawing fanart of like naruto, joining the naruto group. If you're doing pure traditional join a sketch/traditional art group. I belong to a bunch of origami groups and that alone gets me about a 100 views. :3

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-19-2013, 04:55 AM

yeah, and when I made my contest, there were like two active contest. At least now there are more like 6 of them. I saw your contest and went and posted there. Hehe, Kats for the win! hopefully there will be lots of kitty art floating to us.

Seito: I post to avi forum groups and I get pieces added to amateur art galleries a occasionally, but I don't post stuff in groups most of the time. I don't really know of any groups I'd like to join. And I don't really get the menewsha DA groups. There are two of them and none get any art, but I can't upload anything there either because none of my art actually belongs in any of the folders. There's no place for OC's and such.

Katherdante
。❛ヮ❛...

Old 08-19-2013, 04:59 AM

Yeas yeas! I will try to get time to draw your kitty! :>
More for fun than for prizes though... :x

I joined the first few days or something this site went up...
So I have the first few months of donation items. :>

I did that on Gaia too... and Zantarni :x

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-19-2013, 05:02 AM

which kitty? I think I still have more than one in this contest.
wow, I only joined four years ago.
I never joined gaia myself, but I still poke my head into Zantarni, mostly for events.

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 08-19-2013, 05:05 AM

*nods* That's understandable. I'll ask Iro about adding an OC section for DA group for the one I help run (and I'll put in a word about the one Jelly maintains). It's odd from the standpoint that they're not related directly to Mene so that's probably why it was never considered. But it's supporting a Mene artist so really that must count for something.

I dunno. I just stumble across the groups. I usually went find a popular artist who is doing the same thing as me, okay did they submit to groups? If yes, which ones? Okay click on groups. How hard is to submit? (Some groups are ridiculously complicated for some reason.) How many watchers? How active? (No point in joining if the group is dead or if you have more watchers then they have members). Then I just join and every time I put up a new piece I dump them into groups.

But other than that, I don't do anything to the groups. There's a way to make sure all the submission don't clutter your inbox or in my case I just delete them all. I joined about 30+ groups and half of them are origami and pixel related. The rest is fandom specific. Since I do a bunch of square-enix related stuff (Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, TWEWY, etc) I joined like eight different groups related to them.

Katherdante
。❛ヮ❛...

Old 08-19-2013, 05:09 AM

Zantarni had a lot of potential, but my concepts fell through... I had a plan and design to expand their browser game style with separated shops with different characters etc.etc.

It was a solid plan, but never went through. :C
It could have been great! D:

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-19-2013, 05:12 AM

A lot of other avi forum's groups have an OC folder um...I like the way Ernya's is set up. They have a folder for avi art, but then folders for fullbody art and headshots or something, so it catches everything else. I think 90% of the art requests I get on menewsha is for OC's so it seems like I should have a place to submit them. One group has a roleplay folder, but that doesn't seem right since I doubt half the Oc's I draw have anything to do with rps.

I dunno. I don't like to deal with groups. If I did anything fandom, I might join a group for it, but I don't. I watch one of the menewsha groups and the ernya group. I like to look at the art since most of the other people I watch don't upload often. I don't watch more than 10 people probably.

I still really like zantarni. It was my second avi forum. The site is so deadish, but yet...not dead. One has to admire it's tenacity.

Katherdante
。❛ヮ❛...

Old 08-19-2013, 05:17 AM

I am following 6,765 people on Deviantart.

I am kind of crazy. xD
When I am out of it, and not paying attention to online, I just go on there and delete everything in my inbox. xD
Other times, when I am on top of things, I organize and sort everything into folders on my favorites.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-19-2013, 05:19 AM

I don't like to watch people really. I just look through the DD's and then whatever is in the new 'similar things' whatever column that is that I really like.

Katherdante
。❛ヮ❛...

Old 08-19-2013, 05:22 AM

tsk tsk

It is how I found such good commission deals before everyone else! >:3
I got in on a lot of really good artists, before they got popular with raised prices! 8D
I got a slot for a couple, half body for $60 ... later the prices started at $50 for a solo headshot!

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 08-19-2013, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat Dakuu View Post
A lot of other avi forum's groups have an OC folder um...I like the way Ernya's is set up. They have a folder for avi art, but then folders for fullbody art and headshots or something, so it catches everything else. I think 90% of the art requests I get on menewsha is for OC's so it seems like I should have a place to submit them. One group has a roleplay folder, but that doesn't seem right since I doubt half the Oc's I draw have anything to do with rps.

I dunno. I don't like to deal with groups. If I did anything fandom, I might join a group for it, but I don't. I watch one of the menewsha groups and the ernya group. I like to look at the art since most of the other people I watch don't upload often. I don't watch more than 10 people probably.

I still really like zantarni. It was my second avi forum. The site is so deadish, but yet...not dead. One has to admire it's tenacity.
Ah that's true that's very true. There is wisdom in that.

I watch like 50 something people but that's mostly only if I like over half their stuff. Otherwise it's just as I find them save save save.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherdante View Post
I am following 6,765 people on Deviantart.

I am kind of crazy. xD
When I am out of it, and not paying attention to online, I just go on there and delete everything in my inbox. xD
Other times, when I am on top of things, I organize and sort everything into folders on my favorites.
:O I don't follow that many xD

Haha I just delete everything. The only people who I actually check at the ones I follow but with your number I might just delete it all anyways.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-19-2013, 05:27 AM

I refuse to spend real money on art. Absolutely refuse. I did it once and bought something for $12 dollars from someone I watch because she sounded so desperate and I was desperate for decent art.

see, you people just delete your messages. I watch the right amount of people to look at everything and I comment on about a third of all the images I see and some of the journals.

Last edited by Kat Dakuu; 08-19-2013 at 05:38 AM..

Katherdante
。❛ヮ❛...

Old 08-19-2013, 05:31 AM

Everyone has their own way of stalking– I mean browsing the internet. :x

Bed for me y'all. I'm outty! <3

Seito
Evil Overlord

Old 08-19-2013, 05:39 AM

I've never commissioned for art with real money but I've bought prints and stuff at cons. The only people I've considered buying commissions from are people I know on some personal level.

I do that for the people I watch 8D (It's the groups that I just delete without looking). I don't really comment though. It makes me feel... silly? I mean I have nothing to say other than "That's so awesome!" and I know no matter how good that feels, that gets old of hearing all the time. (Especially for the more popular artists who get like 500+ comments saying the same thing) Different story if the artist doesn't have any comments though. I try to comment on those.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-19-2013, 05:39 AM

stalking is fun though.
night other Kat.

and my page turned into a piece of modern art
http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps52e114a5.png

I would take "that's awesome" for a comment.
but yeah, I try to say more. I still say real simple most of the time. It goes more like "pretty color scheme. I love her hair! That's so amazing. I'm envious."