Elmira Swift
Curator of Alluvium

Penpal

Old 04-14-2009, 04:40 PM

I think a lot of it is cultural. When Lily was little, the family bed thing was in. Now, not at all.

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Melody Send a message via MSN to Melody

Old 04-14-2009, 05:00 PM

yeah, I think most of it is cultural. But my parents didn't even sleep in the same bed...so I wouldn't really know. xD I just can't imagine having that many people in a bed, even a california king sixed bed, and have it be comfortable. I like having some space...we have a queen sized bed, and me + scott + one kid is too much. xD (ya know the saying twos company threes a crowd? xD) I need some space to roll over, the kids give me no space...and elbow/knee/headbutt me and...sleeping with kids around is HARD.

Elmira Swift
Curator of Alluvium

Penpal

Old 04-14-2009, 05:08 PM

Oh, I agree! I know some people who did this successfully. For us, it was not a good idea to even attempt because it was very confusing for Lily. She thinks in very binary terms and when she was older, it was hard for her to understand why it wasn't a good idea to sleep with us. Again, most of the time if it happened, it was because she was sick or her dad was. Long story short, he was rather ill and died a few years ago. I really wanted her to have as much time with him as possible before he passed.

Queen_Andais
I move the stars for no one.

Penpal

Old 04-14-2009, 05:44 PM

That's understandable Swift, allow her time to enjoy his company as much as possible.
My parents never let us sleep with them. Their bed was their's, every once in awhile if one or the other was gone, we got slee[ in their bed. But they have a waterbed and kids move around too much, creates waves and pisses off the parental unit trying to sleep.
Rodd and I have a full size bed, not sure if he will want to get a larger bed when we get a bigger place, but for now it works out just fine.

EternalHearts
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to EternalHearts Send a message via Yahoo to EternalHearts

Old 04-14-2009, 06:35 PM

I have a full sized bed and Ellie has a Queen. We're going to keep hers as our bed and use mine as the guest bed once we move in together. There isn't a huge amount of difference in size, but it's enough.

TrueLight
*^_^*

Old 04-14-2009, 06:47 PM

I want to get a queen size. I have a full right now and I usually get the dog sleeping with me and she hogs the bed.

EternalHearts
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to EternalHearts Send a message via Yahoo to EternalHearts

Old 04-14-2009, 06:51 PM

What kind of dog Rue? Ellie has 2 cats, so we need the extra room.

Queen_Andais

Penpal

Old 04-14-2009, 07:09 PM

A Queen bed would be awesome, might want to look into Ikea myself. They have such great stuff. *nods* Just got my full size bed frame from there. Not sure if I want to give up the full size bed, considering that it's a good size already and we don't need that much room. Don't want to have to constantly roll over twice to snuggle. Kind of takes away from the romance of sleeping in bed with someone.

God I sound like a romantic lush.

Elmira Swift
Curator of Alluvium

Penpal

Old 04-14-2009, 07:42 PM

Lately, I've been enjoying the solitude. Otto sleeps in his crib and Lily is in her own bed. Mark works 3rd shift and sleeps during the day, so I don't have to worry about the elbow to the eye socket.

Queen_Andais

Penpal

Old 04-14-2009, 08:15 PM

Thank god for small favors on that front, Swift. Not getting abused in the middle of the night is a nice thing to avoid.

Work just keeps popping up in the flow, just about when I was done...boom! 50 more and then there were 100 more. Just never seems to end. Kind of crazy.

Elmira Swift
Curator of Alluvium

Penpal

Old 04-14-2009, 08:26 PM

I think that if I ever find another job and it's busy, I won't complain - job security.

TrueLight
*^_^*

Old 04-14-2009, 08:30 PM

She's a black lab mix so she's a big girl. At least she keeps me warm. I have cats as well and they help take up the bed too.

Elmira Swift
Curator of Alluvium

Penpal

Old 04-14-2009, 08:46 PM

Awww! Fur babies! I bet your dog and cats are cuties!

Queen_Andais

Penpal

Old 04-14-2009, 08:47 PM

Not complaining about how busy the job is, it's more of the attitudes around the job to be specific.

Elmira Swift
Curator of Alluvium

Penpal

Old 04-14-2009, 08:51 PM

I'm sure! That's not what I meant. More like I was remembering how busy my last job would be and wishing I was at home instead. Now, I'm wishing the reverse. It was a customer service job, and people were not always happy customers when they called in.

Queen_Andais

Penpal

Old 04-15-2009, 02:04 PM

Happens like that quite a bit Swift. I remember those days, but it was the retail job that did it for me. People can be so rude when they are shopping, it's disgusting. Not to mention there were coworkers that were ruthless bitches.

EternalHearts
(^._.^)ノ

Old 04-15-2009, 02:17 PM

UGH! I works at a Yankee Candle a few Christmases ago and some of the people in there were SO RUDE it wasn't even funny. I understand that the mall is crowded and you've been waiting in lines all day, but YES, I do need to take a few moments to wrap up your stupid item because IT'S FRAGILE!!! Plus you're the jerk that's making me put it in the box, so there's more time of both of ours I'm wasting!

Queen_Andais

Penpal

Old 04-15-2009, 02:22 PM

Christmas was the worst for me in the mall. Worked there for 3 christmases *dies* Some people were very understanding, polite and courteous and then you'd get the person that just made your day that much more hellish.

We offered gift wrapping at our store since it's very hard to find wrapping paper large enough to wrap a suitcase box with. Most people understood that this process was not instant, but others. You would have thought the world was going to stop if they didn't get that done in next 15 minutes. What they failed to realize, we only have two gifts wrappers, there are 20 boxes of other stuff before their's and they just have to wait their turn. Ugh. What idiots.

EternalHearts
(^._.^)ノ

Old 04-15-2009, 02:24 PM

People really are idiots. And as much as I complain about the 2 Christmases I worked at Yankee, I really did love it, and am hoping to go back next Christmas, or possibly even just pick up a part-time job there if I can ever find one that's hiring.

ellaangelus
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 04-15-2009, 02:30 PM

*sneaks into the thread*

i'll try to be quiet <3

EternalHearts
(^._.^)ノ

Old 04-15-2009, 02:35 PM

No need to be quiet, talk away!!

Queen_Andais

Penpal

Old 04-15-2009, 02:58 PM

Might be leaving work early today guys, kind of got a sinus headache that tylenol won't shake, congested and feeling icky. Not to mention, I have to go over and help Tara move her stuff out of her parent's house because her dad went nuclear last night and she's fed up. About time, if you ask me.
He's a dick of the first order, goes through her room, paws through her stuff and won't let her live her own life.

EternalHearts
(^._.^)ノ

Old 04-15-2009, 03:57 PM

Oh no Queen! Feel better soon, and good luck to Tara--there's no way I'd put up with that kind of crap from my dad.

Queen_Andais

Penpal

Old 04-15-2009, 04:07 PM

She was living with them while she detoxed from doing Heroine and stealing money from them. She paid them back and got the stuff back she pawned. Plus she no longer does the drugs, been clean for 5 months and counting. Very proud of her at this point, but her dad has struck her in the past. Like full on closed fists and wailing away on her, he goes through her room constantly and opens her mail.
Tells her that she can't get a job because he doesn't trust that she won't do the drugs anymore...even though she doesn't talk to anyone she used to know, nor does she have their phone numbers. There is no drive in her to do the drugs because she realizes now that she isn't a good person when she is on the drugs.

EternalHearts
(^._.^)ノ

Old 04-15-2009, 04:21 PM

That is absolutely horrible Queen. You'd think they'd be happy for her getting her life back on track. She doesn't deserve that treatment, I wish her nothing but luck in starting over without them--she doesn't need him either.