meilin
pumpkin phantom

Old 08-06-2008, 03:40 PM

"Well, I don't know about that," Besnik said, still smiling even as a shy feeling crept up inside him. He wasn't used to compliments and teasing from outside his family, so he didn't know how to react now that someone was actually teasing him.

He lifted his head and glanced around to see where the hardware store was.

Trelweny
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Trelweny Send a message via Yahoo to Trelweny

Old 08-06-2008, 07:55 PM

“I do.” She said assuredly with a nod, then glanced about in surprise. Her hazel eyes were wide and reflected the gold of the sun as she stopped and angled towards the door of the shop beside them. It was a relatively small place, and looked family run. There was a simple sign that read ‘Hank’s Hardware’ in the glass door. There was another, ‘real’ sign higher up on the building but it was hard to see from where the highschoolers now were. Min looked at her friend in honest surprise, feeling more than a little silly. “We’re here already. Guess I lost track of time.”

With a sheepish grin, Min opened the door. “Hey Hank!”

The inside of the shop was carefully organized, with tools hardware, and nearly everything one could think of needing for handy-man jobs stacked from floor to ceiling. There was a sliding ladder like in personal libraries that went along the shelves –and it was coming right for them! A man well into his forties with crow’s feet in the corners of his eyes and laugh lines at his mouth greeted them from the top of it. “Min! Long time no see! I have everything your mom called for behind the counter… hey! You brought a friend!”

It had been an even longer time since he had seen his friend’s daughter stop by with a friend of her own. Which weird, since Hank knew she had plenty of them. His thoughts didn’t touch his face though as he shimmied down the ladder with the ease of a much younger man, smiling with welcome at both of them. Mindy laughed, smiling at her friend before grinning back at the older man. “This is Besnik! He volunteered to come because a hardware store is more exiting than homework!” Hazel eyes twinkled with mirth, but otherwise looked dark in the small but brightly lit shop. “Besnik, do you know Hank Boween?”

meilin
pumpkin phantom

Old 08-06-2008, 08:15 PM

Besnik ducked his head sheepishly. He really didn't know what to say.

Following Mindy into the hardware store, Besnik looked up and glanced around the shop. He never really had much reason to go to the hardware store. His father never needed anything from one. He waved to the owner, sticking close to Mindy.

"Ah, no, this is my first time here," he answered Mindy's question.

Trelweny
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-07-2008, 05:41 AM

"Besnik, Hank Bowen. Hank, Bowen Rosenford." Mindy beamed. "Now you do!"

Hank looked the boy up and down with a casual 'adult' glance. Mindy might not be his, but he thought of her as a daughter since she was the daughter of his old friend. This boy seemed different than the ones he usually saw around the athletic tomboy. He was not trying to get Min's attention either. Interesting. Slowly the man's grin grew -special for Min's special friend. "Pleased to meet you, Besnik Rosenford." A flicker of thought over the name, trying to place it with anything else he might know before letting it settle. It looked like the man was trying not to laugh, what with the twitch of his lips and the glimmer of his eyes. "So a hardware store's more entertaining than homework, eh? There's plenty to learn here if you've got some time and are interested." Mindy giggled, glancing to see her friend's reaction as the older man winked. "Promise it will be more exciting than class-learning."

A chuckle from the man. Min looked excited, but like she was trying to keep from influencing Besnik's decision with both hands clamped over her mouth. "If you're interested, of course."

meilin
pumpkin phantom

Old 08-07-2008, 05:55 AM

Besnik half bowed in his fluster of meeting the man. "It's nice to meet you, sir," he said, stumbling over the words and fighting a blush of embarrassment. "Um, well, homework tends to be pretty boring." He rubbed the back of his neck as he glanced at Mindy before looking back to Hank. "Then again, I never did like sitting in a class listening to lectures." He shuffled his feet awkwardly. "But I wouldn't mind learning something new." He nibbled on his lip.

Trelweny
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-07-2008, 03:19 PM

“Yay!” Mindy cheered as she pulled her hands from her mouth and jumped with excitement. Hank chuckled and stepped off the last rung of the ladder, stopping by the counter to flip a switch. “Nothing against book-learning, but I was always hands-on myself.” Putting a big hand on Mindy’s head he gently ‘roughed’ her up a bit. “Not all of us can standardize like Min here.” The blonde girl was grinning as she fell easily into step with the man. Easier than with her own father. One might think he was her father from the way the two related, but there was not even a trace of family resemblance.

Her smiling eyes fast on Besnik she gave a pulling gesture with her nearest arm. “Hank’s workshop’s in the basement!” Min explained with a grin. “That a’right with you, son? I’m assuming you know the difference between a Phillips & a flathead.” Hank Boween gave a boyish smile that showed how he had earned the laugh badges of honor that he wore upon his face.

meilin
pumpkin phantom

Old 08-07-2008, 03:54 PM

"Uh, maybe?" Besnik answered weakly as he followed after Mindy and Hank. He knew his father had a tool box filled with different tools, even if they never actually used it. Thinking about it now though, he wondered why they had the tools in the first place. Did his father use them before or did he just keep them around in case they needed them at some point? He shrugged it off, not knowing the answer. He would have to ask his father sometime when he got home.

"So what are you going to teach us?" he asked curiously.

Trelweny
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-08-2008, 01:22 AM

The man gave the smallest pause hearing Besnik’s shy response. Could the boy really not know the difference between the two basic screwdrivers? This possibly was a very dire case! “Well since you’re not sure about the screwdrivers maybe we should just have a basic rundown of some of the tools, hey?” Min was grinning with excitement, apparently beside herself about the whole situation. “With mechanical analysis of function, right Hank?” The smiling girl asked.

Flicking a switch that turned on the lights behind the door he opened over the stairs Hank laughed. “Of course, Min sweet. Wouldn’t be as hands on otherwise.” He was chuckling to himself, noting with sharp eyes how Min shot another smile of reassurance to her friend before following him down the stairs. They were wider than one would expect from one of these old buildings, and a keen eye might be able to see where they had been widened. As he walked Hank grabbed three pairs of goggles on the way down for them to wear and talked a bit about how he liked having his workshop right there for when days were slow. Min popped in with a teasing. “And nice to have your place up top, huh?” Pointing up in a way that implied something above the shop itself.

Hank was still chuckling as the workshop itself opened up before them. It was a little more than a simple workshop. Tools of all sorts were down here, just as meticulously organized as the inventory upstairs but in a functional way for everyday use. Although on some benches there were signs of a few projects started at once, there was not one tool left out or apparently out of place. They lined shelves and pegboards, and there were neatly labeled drawers and ‘stackers’ everywhere.

All this, and plenty of room for the three of them to move. “Okay kids. Not everything we’ll go through today needs ‘em, but I want ya to put these on so we don’t have to think about them later.” He was putting a pair of goggles on while handing the others to Besnik & Min. Clearly accustomed to this, Min didn’t hesitate and pulled the pair offered her over her head –pulling her ponytail out over the head strap in automatic afterthought as she stepped to the bench. “First lesson: safety. Always have your goggles on. Might seem lame but even when hammering there’s a chance for flying nails. Lot’s of people don’t bother with them around the house and truthfully… if I’m just fixing a light or retapping a nail in the molding I don’t either. But in my shop… goggles first.”

meilin
pumpkin phantom

Old 08-08-2008, 03:19 AM

Besnik felt heat creep into his cheeks, feeling embarrassed for not knowing as much about tools as the others. Working with tools might seem like something all men were supposed to know about, but it wasn't anything that ever really came up in Besnik's home. If any of the guys in his class knew, Besnik didn't doubt he would get teased for not knowing the difference between a Phillips head and a flathead.

When they reached the workshop, Besnik paused to stare in awe of it. He was impressed by it; all the tools perfectly kept around the place. He wouldn't have thought of a workshop being as tidy as this one, but he hadn't ever really seen one. Accepting the goggles, he glanced from Hank to Mindy then put on the goggles.

"You come here a lot?" he whispered, leaning closer to Mindy while still listening to what Hank said.

Trelweny
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-08-2008, 04:51 AM

Pleased to see the kids goggled, Hank went about beginning the tool lesson with a whistle -which happened to be to the tune of 'Whistle a Happy Tune' from The King and I. Except for a grin though, Min did not make much reaction to it. Instead she leaned towards Besnik to whisper back, hazel eyes dark but sparkling with the play of conspiracy. "uh-huh. When I've time. Which isn't much, lately."

There was a flicker of sadness that might be disappointment just before Min lightly shrugged it away and grinned with something that was almost a wink. Hank -pretending not to notice the kids' 'secret' exchange so that there could be more 'behind his back' later- set down a small array of hammers on the table before them first, showing the difference between tack & footed with both visual and explained uses before having the two highschoolers bang a bit on spare blocks of wood. Judging by the holes and hammer claw marks pressed into their surface these had seen their share of time being trial pieces.

meilin
pumpkin phantom

Old 08-08-2008, 05:16 AM

Besnik stared at Mindy, thinking he caught of something familiar in her eyes. But it disappeared quickly and left him to wonder if he had seen anything at all. Maybe just my imagination, he thought as he returned his attention to Hank as he talked about hammers.

Besnik picked up one of the hammers, testing its grip. He couldn't help but admit that it felt odd to hold the tool.

Trelweny
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-08-2008, 07:11 AM

“Here. Hold it like this.” Min said, putting her own hand over Besnik’s & moving it to a more comfortable grip before the older man could get his tongue around a polite way to comment that the boy clearly was not very comfortable with the tool. His brain was rather derailed -who doesn’t know how use a hammer?

While Min did not seem phased at all. She positioned Besnik’s hand on the hammer’s handle beneath hers and made to lift them together to hammer a nail set to one of the blocks. “Been too busy with school to hold a hammer too, huh?”

meilin
pumpkin phantom

Old 08-08-2008, 03:42 PM

"Y-Yeah, I guess you could say that," Besnik replied with a fresh flush of color across his face. The way Mindy repositioned his hand on the hammer made it feel more comfortable, almost most natural, though it still held a sort of unreal quality to it.

He practiced hitting nails with the hammer a few times, missing more often than hitting them. Lifting his head, he glanced between the two others. "I guess I need a lot of practice."

Trelweny
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-08-2008, 05:23 PM

Hank had to turn away to not gape dumbfounded at the ease the girl just stepped in and helped, with no thought as to how it could be taken. Reminds me of her mother… There was no room for such thoughts but they came unwanted all the time around Min.

Satisfied Besnik was holding the tool right her hand slipped as casually away as she had put it there as if there was nothing untoward about her actions at all. “Practice is always good for anything you do.” She agreed with an supportive smile. She hammered a few times herself on the other block with a thoughtful & reminiscing look on her face. Then another smile. “You’re just nervous ‘cause Hank’s here.” Oh no…. he was not at all nervous because she was there. They were friends, that would be silly! “And you just met. If you want…” Min looked thoughtful, then glanced at the older man cutely for confirmation. “We could do this more often!” Turning back to the kids he smiled. “Sounds alright with me. We could go over a lot more.” Min beamed, her smile coming around to bathe Besnik again. “Then you won’t feel overwhelmed!”

meilin
pumpkin phantom

Old 08-08-2008, 05:56 PM

"I suppose that's true," Besnik agreed with a small, shy lopsided grin. He continued to practice on the block, getting a little better with each try. He couldn't be sure if it was just Hank being there or the whole new situation in general that had him nervous. He certainly hadn't envisioned his day ending up in a hardware workshop.

"R-Really?" he asked, blinking in his surprise. "That sounds like it would be fun."

Trelweny
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-09-2008, 06:32 AM

Her eyes twinkled, seeing that particular grin from him. Then warm laughed as he was surprised. Really… again. “Of course! And you know it! We’ll have to set up a time.”

“And get your parents permission.” Hank added seriously. “One time or two I can let slide, but I won’t have parents not knowing where there kids are for more.” His smile was easy, almost apologetic. He did however have a business to run. He knew some things about legal issues. “Now why don’t you lay off the hammer for a minute to see the screwdrivers. That way if something needs a battery change with a screwed down cover I’ll know you know how to get to it.” Mild teasing, but also testing the waters.

meilin
pumpkin phantom

Old 08-09-2008, 04:19 PM

"O-Of course!" Besnik said as he stood up straighter in response to Hank's statement. He wondered if his father would agree to it. His father always liked when he took an interest in learning new things, but Besnik didn't know if learning this kind of stuff was something his father would agree to. He sighed mentally, knowing the only way to know what his father would think about it was to ask him.

Besnik set down the hammer and looked over the screwdrivers. "So which is the Phillips head and which is the flathead?"

Trelweny
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-10-2008, 12:45 PM

Min looked about ready to hug her friend all over again, but they were using tools and she knew better. Instead her smile spoke for her, bright and excited and looking forward to the potential lessons. Even if she was not always a part of them. She did have track & soccer after all. It was more about when Besnik could come.

Then she was laughing or giggling or both behind her hand as Hank’s mouth opened in disbelief only to quickly snap shut again. The man blinked, head making a single disbelieving shake before he calmly showed the difference between Phillips head and Flathead screwdrivers, then started to show how they were used including when one would want to find other size screwdrivers for the job at hand and how some Phillips were more flat or pointed than others and how that affected screws and what stripping a screw was and how it was to be avoided.

meilin
pumpkin phantom

Old 08-10-2008, 06:38 PM

Besnik flushed brightly in his embarrassment when he heard Mindy laugh. He almost thought it might have been better to stay silent and let Hank explain it all. Ah, I'm so dumb sometimes, he thought, trying to force back the blush. He stayed silent as he listened to Hank's explanation about the different screwdrivers. He never realized just how much there was to know about tools and how to use them.

Trelweny
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-11-2008, 02:06 AM

Perhaps it would have helped Besnik if Min explained that she was laughing at the older man’s reaction to the teen’s lack of knowledge, and not the lack itself. Instead she was perplexed at his redness, knowing that he was embarrassed but not exactly over what. He was being awfully silent too.

Hank gave the barest of sighs before giving the boy what was meant to be a reassuring smile. “Don’t worry about it too much, son. Most things about tools you’ll find out is pretty logical, once you know it. Lot of it is common sense too, like the goggles.” Giving a wave of his hand the storeowner ushered the teenagers upstairs. “I think that’s enough for today. Don’t want to overload your brain on a Friday.” At his wink Min laughed and started up the stairs, removing her goggles followed by a casual toss of her blonde ponytail before hanging them up where Hank had taken them from earlier.

When her back was turned Hank leaned in to whisper to Besnik so she could not hear. “She was laughing at ME, son. Don’t you fret about it.” With a light and slightly awkward pat of his shoulder Hank indicated the boy to follow Min upstairs.

meilin
pumpkin phantom

Old 08-11-2008, 05:03 AM

Besnik's mouth dropped open in a little "o" after hearing what Hank whispered to him. He hadn't even noticed how Hank had responded to his lack of knowledge. Rubbing the back of his neck, he followed the other two. I guess you really shouldn't just assume the worst about things, he thought, feeling a bit relieved to know that Mindy hadn't been laughing at him for not knowing much about tools.

After removing the goggles, he copied Mindy and placed it on the hook. "I think I got more out of that lesson than I did sitting around in Spanish class," Besnik said with an awkward chuckle as they returned to the hardware store above the workshop.

Trelweny
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-12-2008, 05:03 PM

Cringing then laughing sheepishly Min nodded. It was the Spanish that made her cringe. Some of her teammates took a language and try as she might, she could not wrap her mind around any of them. Spotting it Hank gave her a pointed look to which the girl looked shamed & ducked her head. Chuckling he gave her a one armed hug before seeing both kids were ahead of him so he could turn off the light downstairs & shut the door. “That’s good to hear. Something to be said about getting your hands on things.” Hank gave the boy a fond smile, ‘teacher’ to student. “You caught on pretty quick, Besnik. I think we’ll have fun.”

Min grinned. “Sure we will!” The door to the shop opened, and a chime could be heard from the basement as the handyman customer entered the shop. Hank chuckled and excused himself with a “since I’m the only one working here” and a wink. Giving him a wave Min headed down a different isle to the counter, drawing her arm to indicate Besnik come with her.

meilin
pumpkin phantom

Old 08-12-2008, 07:48 PM

Besnik gave a little wave to Hank before following after Mindy. "That was fun," he said as he fell into step next to Mindy. With his hands shoved into his pants pockets, he glanced around at all the tools lining the shelves of the aisle they walked down. "I guess my dad isn't all that big on this tool stuff. Even though he has tools, he never uses them," he rambled.

Trelweny
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-12-2008, 09:20 PM

Heading behind the counter to flip the switch Hank had earlier Min paused and turned to look at her friend. Hazel eyes flickered curiously in her slightly tilted face. She was actually working out the wording, going over it carefully so she was not too invasive of Besnik’s family life while still trying to give her curiosity something. Slowly a smile lit her face. “Then you’ll be able to surprise him with all you’ve learned! When Hank’s finished with you, they’ll be no need to call a handyman for anything but the biggest jobs ever again!” Laughing she did a little hop, hop, spin dance step then skipped behind the counter to flip the switch. “That’s if you wanna go that far. Hank’s a great teacher. “

meilin
pumpkin phantom

Old 08-12-2008, 10:31 PM

Besnik chuckled. "That certainly would surprise my dad," he said, smiling as he watched Mindy. He leaned on the counter. "Do you need help carrying all that stuff?" His father wouldn't be home from work for a few hours, giving him a while to hang out with her.