High fives are pretty great!

Old 04-19-2009, 01:01 PM

It was definitely odd. :XD
So how are you all this morning?

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 04-19-2009, 01:17 PM

I'm ok. I'm still trying to wake up, so I'm hoping it is dreadfully slow at work. I really don't want to lift a finger. I'd be happy not to take a single call all day. :P

Sucks that they've changed the pay system. Now if it's slow like this, instead of getting a guaranteed $9 an hour, I'll be making minimum wage. :( The way we will actually make money is when we're actually on a call, then they'll figure out the difference I guess.

They seem to change the pay rate fairly regularly though. When it picks up we'll probably go to what we're doing now.

Jennifer

Old 04-19-2009, 01:27 PM

That sounds really...lame. .___. It'd be nice to just have a stable pay.

tigerangel
(ó㉨ò)
Penpal

Old 04-19-2009, 01:34 PM

Minimum wake...yikes.
I hope your pay gets sorted out, Izumi.

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 04-19-2009, 01:35 PM

Well even so, getting minimum wage to sit and surf Mene and fart around on the computer isn't so bad. :P I get paid .22 cents a minute for any calls I take too. I can't really complain. When it's slow, I have the best job in the world....without benefits.

tigerangel
(ó㉨ò)
Penpal

Old 04-19-2009, 01:38 PM

Very god point there.
I would love to have a job that I can play on here and still get paid for.
Working in a grocery store in alright though.

Immortaleyes
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Immortaleyes

Old 04-19-2009, 01:41 PM

:)
It would be a dream job to get paid for playing on a site all day long.
There are some people who do..but they have more responsibilities than one can imagine.
I think I'll just keep working at the library and do as many massage jobs as I can..since I love both of these jobs equally the same.

Jennifer

Old 04-19-2009, 01:45 PM

What exactly is your job again, Izumi?

I start work next week! I'm so excited to finally have a job after so long of not having one. :3

Immortaleyes
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-19-2009, 01:48 PM

Ooh congrats in getting a job Jen!
It had to have been hard what with everything going on in the economy.

Jennifer

Old 04-19-2009, 01:51 PM

I applied to places everywhere, including fast foods places - just for SOME sort of work, ya know. I was feeling pretty depressed not having a job. So I also posted work inquiries on all the local classified ad sites. And someone contacted me about nannying for them. There is this couple moving up to the ranch over here. And the ranch houses very wealthy people - so the pay is expected to be very good. Anyway, they won't be moving here til next weekend. I'm pretty happy. :)

Aeisha
Only Slightly Insane
Send a message via MSN to Aeisha

Old 04-19-2009, 01:52 PM

Hello everyone, even though it is near on a week past did everyone have a good easter?

Jennifer

Old 04-19-2009, 01:52 PM

My Easter was pretty good. How about you, Aeisha? :)

Immortaleyes
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-19-2009, 01:54 PM

That's awesome Jen! I bet it will be great work experience for you!

hey Aeisha! *waves* My easter went pretty well.

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 04-19-2009, 01:57 PM

I take escalated calls for a prepaid cellphone company. I deal with people wanting to deactivate their accounts, or having problems with their phones...that kind of thing mainly. Sometimes I get some really off the wall calls, but for the most part it's pretty easy and any time in between calls I sit and surf the internet. I pick the hours I work and I work from home, so I can technically work in my pajamas if I wanted to. :P

Hours have been harder to come by, but I've learned the system and as long as I'm on at the right time of day I can grab what I can and have been able to put together a 40 hour work week with no problem.

My job has its downsides - I don't get paid sick or vacation time, I don't have any insurance or retirement plans and also if my electricity, phone or internet are down or if the place I work for is experiencing technical problems I don't get paid for it either. However, since my wage is merely supplementing what my boyfriend makes. It's crucial I do bring home something, but I have had checks where I brought home a measly $200 home and we're able to get by on those short weeks. Otherwise yes I would have a 'real' job.

Aeisha
Only Slightly Insane

Old 04-19-2009, 01:58 PM

*waves to Jen and Immortal*

Whenever I think of being a nanny now I think of the movie Nanny Diaries. Hehe poor Anna her boss was horrible to her and they gave her so much ... well you know.

My Easter was spent working unfortunately though admitedly the pay was good for two of the days.

Immortaleyes
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-19-2009, 02:00 PM

Sounds like an interesting job Izumi.
I wouldn't want it, but that's me.
I prefer seeing the people I work with or help. I'd probably get bored with a desk style job.

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 04-19-2009, 02:02 PM

Oh congrats Jen on getting a job!! I bet you will be wonderful as you seem to have the disposition to work with kids. I enjoy sitting for my step kids too, but they're fairly well behaved and I have the added benefit if they don't and dad gets home they will not only have to deal with me not happy with them but dad will be mad at them too. They don't like that!!

Oh oh and Aaron was like I'm scared to get out of my 'comfort zone'. I'm like as long as what I do brings home money I know I'm lucky and I might as well keep it up. I hate having someone above me tell me what to do and since I work from home I don't have anyone breathing down my neck on a day to day basis. I worked from a call center and they use to be really harsh about even the smallest of things. If you were a minute late from break they would get on top of you. It sucked and I will not go back to that atmosphere unless it was absolutely necessary.

Jennifer

Old 04-19-2009, 02:03 PM

I've done nannying for two other families before. So it's something I'm used to. I just sort of thought I was done in that area. Oh well though, I don't mind kids.

Izumi. Work is work though, so it's not so bad. I definitely cannot judge you at all. I like people that put the effort out to find work; anything! to get them by, ya know. Instead of people who only sit around and are picky about what they do. So they end up being unemployed for so long. Sometimes, you just got to take what you get.

Aeisha. I've seen that movie. I read the book first after picking it up at a thrift store a long long time ago. It was alright, but nothing to frighten me about. :)

Immortaleyes
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-19-2009, 02:06 PM

Aeshia..I haven't seen the movie but I did read the book. I prefer books over the movies most times.

Aeisha
Only Slightly Insane

Old 04-19-2009, 02:07 PM

Eek I hate people breathing down my neck I imediately turn the subject to something that I beleive that they would not understand so that they leave me alone so as not to seem incompantant or what not.
Generally people don't do that to me though so I am lucky. Though it does happen more often at college.

Edit~ It isn't the sort of book I would read, I am more into fantasy. I watched the movie because I couldn't be bothered changing the channel and it didn't seem so bad. Hehe I personally haven' done any nannying and I am not sure I could, I have a short attention span at times and while I would be ok with 5+ any younger and I would be in trouble.

Last edited by Aeisha; 04-19-2009 at 02:11 PM..

Immortaleyes
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-19-2009, 02:09 PM

bleh. breathing down the neck seems a bit extreme to me.
Thankfully I haven't had that happen ever.
I find myself very fortunate.

Jennifer

Old 04-19-2009, 02:16 PM

The older the kids, the more difficult I think. Especially as a nanny. And if they've never had someone else in their lives like that before, ya know. They usually start off as shy, but over time may become havoc. You really have to be sure to connect with them and put yourself at the same level. Otherwise, they'll disrespect you. With this family I'm going to work for, they have a one year old girl and a nine year old boy. It'll be yet another fun experience. Last family I worked for had three boys! Two, five and nine.

Aeisha
Only Slightly Insane

Old 04-19-2009, 02:16 PM

Some of the instructors have a hait of doing it at college but thankfully not many of them. Normally I am ok though and for that I am greatful. I don't like the idea of people watching me work since then I loose a lot of my focus.

Ouch that sounds hard. I had to babysit a few years back and I found the two boys to be great, I was used to working with kids then since I was doing tae-kwon-do and often had to train the younger kids.
I found that letting them beat me (ahem) a few times at chess was a really good idea since then we just sorta played around and watched a movie. Lots of fun till I fell asleep

Last edited by Aeisha; 04-19-2009 at 02:19 PM..

Jennifer

Old 04-19-2009, 02:17 PM

I can somewhat relate. If I'm sitting at my desk and doings things, and someone decides to breathe over my back, I'll whop 'em. I don't like it when people do that.

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 04-19-2009, 02:19 PM

Eek I didn't check my webkinz yesterday!! Doh! I knew I forgot to do something...