Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-22-2013, 04:56 PM

Excellent, primadonna! Sewing gets tricksy sometimes, but it's fantastic when things go right. :D

Yes Tsunii. I mean. I was besides myself, having a fit of giggles. So I was no help to him. We did scrub his back when we first got into the lake, but then figured since we were swimming the length, back and forth, that most of it would come off. Whoops!

Ah, ok. So if you come across uncommon words for sewing, that might trip you up a bit? Well you've got an amazing grasp of it, clearly. Doing something physical while reading a second language..... just reading through instructions normally is tricky sometimes! Good luck!

Next Saturday is a Renaissance Faire called the King Richard's Faire south of Boston in Massachusetts. So, I just wanted to add to my outfit without buying anything new at the fair this year. :)

Shrinky Dink is just the company name for the shrinking plastic that's become synonymous with the product itself (just in the crafting world). It's sold in standard paper sized sheets. This kind becomes 1/3 of the original size, and a lot thicker and rigid when you bake it in the oven. What do you use the plastic for?

Tsunii
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-22-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlandnymph View Post
Excellent, primadonna! Sewing gets tricksy sometimes, but it's fantastic when things go right. :D

Yes Tsunii. I mean. I was besides myself, having a fit of giggles. So I was no help to him. We did scrub his back when we first got into the lake, but then figured since we were swimming the length, back and forth, that most of it would come off. Whoops!

Ah, ok. So if you come across uncommon words for sewing, that might trip you up a bit? Well you've got an amazing grasp of it, clearly. Doing something physical while reading a second language..... just reading through instructions normally is tricky sometimes! Good luck!

Next Saturday is a Renaissance Faire called the King Richard's Faire south of Boston in Massachusetts. So, I just wanted to add to my outfit without buying anything new at the fair this year. :)

Shrinky Dink is just the company name for the shrinking plastic that's become synonymous with the product itself (just in the crafting world). It's sold in standard paper sized sheets. This kind becomes 1/3 of the original size, and a lot thicker and rigid when you bake it in the oven. What do you use the plastic for?
I would have giggled too if I had been there. ^^

Yes, I always have to check up uncommon words on Google translate. Before I always had to look it up in my English-Swedish lexicon, but I have lately miss placed it somewhere.
Me and a friend of mine, who's also making steampunk clothes for the same convention, got a bit confounded when we read what materials we had to use for the clothes and came upon "lightweight fusible". I tried to translate it through Google, but it just did a direct translating, which made it all more confusing. So we just googled it to see what explanations we could get of what it was. And after some while I knew exactly what it was since I've used it before. The thing is that in Sweden it's called something close to "fusilini". See, I'm not even completely sure of what it's called in my own languish.
As for doing something physical and reading in a second languish, that is something I'm getting quite used too. Specially since I've started getting more books in English. I rather read a book in the original languish than a translated one if I can. Though one thing that's gonna be tricky is listening to audio books at the same time. The words in the manual will probably get all muddled up with the ones from the book I'm listening too. :/

Oh, how nice. I hope the horns will turn out really well then.
There used to be a 3- days medieval fare like 7-9 kilometers from where I live every summer. But this summer it was cancelled because those who is holding it are really bad at managing that kind of stuff. Which is really sad. And there's one that goes on for a whole week that I've always wanted to go to, but I've never had enough money. And now there's rumors going around that they might lay off with that fair as well.
But I hope you'll get a really good time on the Renaissance fair. :)

Ah, I see. So it's shrinking plastic that you can draw on with pencils.
The kind of shrinking plastic we use is different. We use it to plastic wrap DVD's and books. Though only nice expensive books and books that are filled with lose papers and stuff, like Dragonology. So nothing really fancy there.
So what do you usually use Shrinky Dink for?

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 09-22-2013, 07:20 PM

*wanders in and looks around*

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-22-2013, 10:29 PM

:3 I was feeling particularly evil that day, I think.

Ah, yes. Lightweight fusible interfacing? I used to be a manager at a fabric and craft store. You know, I usually get away with NOT using interfacing, unless it's to fuse to fabrics together before I sew.

I heard something about Swedish authors publishing in English first if they can (I guess to get an international audience). I've only heard this from one person, my moms friend who is a writer out of Stockholm....so I don't know if that's the general consensus...But I know that she found success with her stories once she started writing them again in Swedish. She used to work for a tv station writing the captions for English speaking shows in Swedish.

I just got the supplies for my horns tonight, I'll start them after I go on a short hike. :)

Well, I can't wait to see how your bustle and everything come out. :D What fabrics/colors did you get for it?

I use the shrinky dinks for earrings and pendants. It's just a fun way to get funky things that no one else has since you draw it all.

Hey Kirin:D

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 09-22-2013, 10:54 PM

Ugh I need some free time to start making my Christmas cards.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-23-2013, 12:12 AM

I believe it was Demetri Martin who said that glitter is the herpes of the arts and crafts world. Once you get it on you, it's never coming off. I bought this really cute gold, glittery pig keychain a while back. I didn't think much about it beyond "IT'S A GLITTERY PIG, I NEED IT!" So I slapped a house key and stuck it in my purse for emergencies. And now... everything in my purse is covered in glitter.

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-23-2013, 03:48 AM

And your purse secretly likes it.

Glittery pig wah? Sounds adorable.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 09-23-2013, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Who? View Post
I believe it was Demetri Martin who said that glitter is the herpes of the arts and crafts world. Once you get it on you, it's never coming off. I bought this really cute gold, glittery pig keychain a while back. I didn't think much about it beyond "IT'S A GLITTERY PIG, I NEED IT!" So I slapped a house key and stuck it in my purse for emergencies. And now... everything in my purse is covered in glitter.
I believe that, so much. I should get that quote on a t-shirt.

Tsunii
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-23-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
:3 I was feeling particularly evil that day, I think.

Ah, yes. Lightweight fusible interfacing? I used to be a manager at a fabric and craft store. You know, I usually get away with NOT using interfacing, unless it's to fuse to fabrics together before I sew.

I heard something about Swedish authors publishing in English first if they can (I guess to get an international audience). I've only heard this from one person, my moms friend who is a writer out of Stockholm....so I don't know if that's the general consensus...But I know that she found success with her stories once she started writing them again in Swedish. She used to work for a tv station writing the captions for English speaking shows in Swedish.

I just got the supplies for my horns tonight, I'll start them after I go on a short hike. :)

Well, I can't wait to see how your bustle and everything come out. :D What fabrics/colors did you get for it?

I use the shrinky dinks for earrings and pendants. It's just a fun way to get funky things that no one else has since you draw it all.
Well, we all have those days. ;)

That's the stuff. I usually don't use it if I can get away with it. But in this case it's for the the waistband in the skirt and the collar in the jacket. I think I'm gonna skip it for the test clothing's, but when I do the real thing, then I'm probably gonna do it with the interfacing to be sure that it'll look good.

Well, for the test clothing it's some kind of golden brown/sand-ish kind of colour, and I have no idea what kind of fabric it is, just that my mom was thinking about using it for drapery before she decided that I should use it.
And for the non-test clothing I'm gonna use these two fabrics:
Taffeta polyester, colour Navy: Taft som metervara hos tyg.se. Beställ / Köp Taft som metervara prisvärt och från ett stort urval i vår online-butik.
And Taffeta Lining acetat, colour Turquoise: Fodertaft acetat som metervara hos tyg.se. Beställ / Köp Fodertaft som metervara prisvärt och från ett stort urval i vår online-butik.

Oh, I see. Maybe I should try it out sometime. If I ever manage to get my hands on some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Who? View Post
Herpes of arts and crafts. I like that metaphor. ^^
And of course you needed it if it's a glittery pig. I would probably reacted the same way if I saw one. And just having the stuff in your purse glittery is mush better then your bed sheets. I mean, it's a hell waking up in the morning and realize that you've gotten glitter in your face while you were sleeping and it won't come off. Specially when it's right under the eye, and you can constantly see the glittering.

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-23-2013, 05:33 PM

Yeah, interfacing for a collar is always a good idea.

I love brown, so I'd wear that. But the navy taffeta looks amazing. Is it easier to order online or are there shops with a good variety of fabrics? I've never ordered fabric online, but I would if I found a reliable source.

I like when that happens with glitter on your face. Again, I guess I am meant for a permanent existence in the Goblin King's labyrinth or something.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 09-23-2013, 05:38 PM

*is lost in the conversation*

Tsunii
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-23-2013, 05:53 PM

[COLOR="DarkRed"]It's not that it's easier. We have a shop with good variety and quite nice fabrics not too far from here. The biggest problem with fabrics here is that if you buy it in a shop, especially in Gothenburg, then it's bloody expensive. If I had bought the fabrics in a shop here then the price would have been over 1000 SKR, while now when I ordered it online I got it for 820 SKR and that's including the shipping cost.
The only problem I had with getting my fabric was DHL, the shipping company, who screwed up 2-3 times in a row, so I didn't get my fabrics until a week later than I should have. But, yeah, that was the only problem.

I hate having glitter in my face, specially where I can't avoid seeing the glitter. It makes me unconsecrated and will most likely throw me into a raging fit while I try to get rid of it.
Maybe you're a descent of Jareth.

smango212

Old 09-23-2013, 06:26 PM

LOL I have this scarf ive been working on never able to finish thos nasty things :P

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 09-23-2013, 06:35 PM

I wish I had a pattern to make the fourth Doctors epic scarf.

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-23-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunii View Post
[COLOR="DarkRed"]It's not that it's easier. We have a shop with good variety and quite nice fabrics not too far from here. The biggest problem with fabrics here is that if you buy it in a shop, especially in Gothenburg, then it's bloody expensive. If I had bought the fabrics in a shop here then the price would have been over 1000 SKR, while now when I ordered it online I got it for 820 SKR and that's including the shipping cost.
The only problem I had with getting my fabric was DHL, the shipping company, who screwed up 2-3 times in a row, so I didn't get my fabrics until a week later than I should have. But, yeah, that was the only problem.

I hate having glitter in my face, specially where I can't avoid seeing the glitter. It makes me unconsecrated and will most likely throw me into a raging fit while I try to get rid of it.
Maybe you're a descent of Jareth.
Phew! I looked up the conversion for krona to dollars, and that's pretty spendy if you bought it in a shop. Granted, I'm sure that's the fabric for the entire outfit. It can get pricy here too, but you have a better chance of shopping for sales/clearance fabrics. I found a few fabrics that would have cost upwards of 25-30 dollars a yard that I ended up getting for only 3 or 4 dollars a yard instead. That's as far as thick tapestries or upholstery fabrics go for bodices, etc.

:/ I guess that means trying to get everything way in advance in case of a screw up, no?

I hope that means I'm a decedent of Jareth!

Knitting projects, guys? Or crochet? I can only knit.
Kirin, I bet the 4th Doctor's scarf would be easy! Just get a whole bunch of colors and go for it. That scarf was pretty random.

Tsunii
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-23-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smango212 View Post
LOL I have this scarf ive been working on never able to finish thos nasty things :P
I also have I scarf that I haven't finished yet. What kind of scarf are you working on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin Rosenbaum View Post
I wish I had a pattern to make the fourth Doctors epic scarf.
I found this pattern online some time ago. The definitive Doctor Who scarf pattern | Crafty Crafty

Yes, Woodla, that is the fabric for the entire outfit. 10 meter of each fabric, I took about one meter extra fabric in case I would mess somthing up. Well, if you buy the right fabric at the right place you can get it quite cheap. But most of those places are far away from where I live and I don't have a drivers licence. I mean, Borås, which is like the big fabric city here in Sweden, where you can buy fabric from the factories own stores which makes it a lot cheaper. But the distance between Gothenburg, where I live, and Borås is 63 km. And that is a long distance to travel with bus or train when you're gonna carry a lot of fabric.

Yes. I ordered it in August and got it about 3 weeks later. The funny thing about this is that my friend and I have been planing to do steampunk outfits for the convention since February-Mars. But she's the one who had all the patterns that could work for that kind o clothes. And we live like 136 km apart, so I had to get down there to see which patterns I wanted to use. So the first time I got there this year was during midsummer, and since we was busy celebrating it in a larp-village close to their home, we forgot about the patterns. So I had to go down there again in August to look at them. And I can say that I'm glad we both chose different patterns.

Descendant, I meant descendant.

Last edited by Tsunii; 09-23-2013 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: Sorry for editing, but I didn't want to dubble post.

Goblin Maiden
SUPAH KITTEH HAPPEH POWAH.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:19 AM

I crochet and knit. :) I'm knitting a scarf right now in white, and I'm crocheting my niece a boatload (or so it feels like) of headbands. She says they're really comfortable and keeps asking for more colors. XD Of course I'm happy to oblige; also it gives me an excuse to crochet, haha!

When I get home I think I'd like to learn how to needle felt. I've already picked out a kit I want--you make guinea pigs with it. :D :D :D

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-26-2013, 03:57 AM

Quote:
And your purse secretly likes it.

Glittery pig wah? Sounds adorable.
It is! I can't bear to not use him. Once in a while my boyfriend asks to put something in my purse if he can't hold onto it. When I return it to him later, invariably covered in glitter, he just sighs and mutters "glitter pig..." DON'T DISS THE PIG, MAN!

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 09-26-2013, 04:08 AM

I would want to make it exactly like the one he wore though. I crochet. I taught myself to crochet cause my church does scarves for the troops and Zephi is in the army and I wanted to make her a scarf. Zephi is the reason I learned to crochet.

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-26-2013, 04:15 AM

Heh. That's adorable, Cherry. Curse you and your glitter, Glitter Pig!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunii View Post
I also have I scarf that I haven't finished yet. What kind of scarf are you working on?

I found this pattern online some time ago. The definitive Doctor Who scarf pattern | Crafty Crafty

Yes, Woodla, that is the fabric for the entire outfit. 10 meter of each fabric, I took about one meter extra fabric in case I would mess somthing up. Well, if you buy the right fabric at the right place you can get it quite cheap. But most of those places are far away from where I live and I don't have a drivers licence. I mean, Borås, which is like the big fabric city here in Sweden, where you can buy fabric from the factories own stores which makes it a lot cheaper. But the distance between Gothenburg, where I live, and Borås is 63 km. And that is a long distance to travel with bus or train when you're gonna carry a lot of fabric.

Yes. I ordered it in August and got it about 3 weeks later. The funny thing about this is that my friend and I have been planing to do steampunk outfits for the convention since February-Mars. But she's the one who had all the patterns that could work for that kind o clothes. And we live like 136 km apart, so I had to get down there to see which patterns I wanted to use. So the first time I got there this year was during midsummer, and since we was busy celebrating it in a larp-village close to their home, we forgot about the patterns. So I had to go down there again in August to look at them. And I can say that I'm glad we both chose different patterns.

Descendant, I meant descendant.
Oh, for 10 meters of fabric, that's a good deal then! Fabric gets pricy quick. There's a huge fabric warehouse that's about 50 miles from me that I've been meaning to go to in Springfield, Massachusetts. So, pretty much the same as your trip would be. I know it's worth the haul up, but I just never think of it when I'm shopping for a project. Yah, I bet traveling by bus with that much fabric wouldn't be a easy.

Even if you had the same pattern, your outfits would be so different!
I've got no one to sew with here anymore. My craftiest friend who lived close by just moved down to South America to work as a teacher. We'd always get together and just work on our own things, but we motivated each other. Alone, I get distracted so easily. Unless I have a deadline that's looming.

Like right now, I'm working on my horns slooooooowly, even though I need them done by Saturday. Ah, Friday is going to be a mad dash to finish!

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-26-2013, 04:40 AM

Hi Mai! Long time no see. :)

Goblin Maiden
SUPAH KITTEH HAPPEH POWAH.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:32 AM

Glitter piiiig. o__o I think I would love the pig but hate the glitter. XD

Hey, Belly! ^_^ How are you?

I want to get better at sewing, myself. I'd want to do a simple project like a skirt or simple bag, since I haven't sewn in a while... I'm pretty good on my sister's serger though, haha! XD I have serged so many burp cloths for these babies. @_@

Tsunii
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-26-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Oh, for 10 meters of fabric, that's a good deal then! Fabric gets pricy quick. There's a huge fabric warehouse that's about 50 miles from me that I've been meaning to go to in Springfield, Massachusetts. So, pretty much the same as your trip would be. I know it's worth the haul up, but I just never think of it when I'm shopping for a project. Yah, I bet traveling by bus with that much fabric wouldn't be a easy.

Even if you had the same pattern, your outfits would be so different!
I've got no one to sew with here anymore. My craftiest friend who lived close by just moved down to South America to work as a teacher. We'd always get together and just work on our own things, but we motivated each other. Alone, I get distracted so easily. Unless I have a deadline that's looming.

Like right now, I'm working on my horns slooooooowly, even though I need them done by Saturday. Ah, Friday is going to be a mad dash to finish!
Well, I said 10 meters of EACH fabric. That makes it 20 meter fabric for that price. That is a bit farther then my trip would be, still a hell of a distance if you can't drive a car. And organizing to go with a friend that have both car and licence is pretty hard.

I know that they would be different, for I chose to do a blue outfit while she decided to make a red one. But the problem would have been sharing the same pattern and live 86 km apart. Specially since there's just one manual over in which way you're supposed to put it together in. one of us would have to wait until the other is finished to even get started. So, yeah, I'm happy we decided to do different outfits this time. And we will make an outfit from the pattern the other pattern too, but not to this convention so it can wait for awhile.
I have crafty friends who live close by, but we never meet to do crafty things. And I haven't met my friend, whom I borrowed the pattern from, since the beginning of August. We mostly speak to each other over facebook and the phone. And we mostly doesn't motivate each other then but just talk about other stuff like Dr. Who and larp.
Oh, and also, I'm really easily distracted too. And I haven't even taken my medication for some days, which makes it all worse, and still I'm able to get anything done on the clothing. Though very slower than it would be if I took my meds. :P

You're gonna have such a nice Friday... or not. Gosh, I hope I'll be finished with the outfit in time so I won't have to rush on the Thursday before the convention. I hate having to do things hurriedly right before the deadline.

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-27-2013, 12:30 AM

Maiden, I'm jelly of your sister's serger!!! Do something nice like a skirt! It's always fun to make something that you get to wear later.

Hey Belleh!

Oh, that's a great deal then Tsunii! And it is a haul. If I didn't have my car/license here...I'd be out of luck since I live in the country. That and if you want to do anything here, even if you live in a city in my state, you'll need a car.

Oooh. I didn't even think about you guys sharing the SAME pattern. I thought you meant just making the same thing, with your own pattern for it. No, that'd be tricky. It's never easy to fold up the patterns neatly as well, after you're done.

I just try and give myself a deadline for things, even if there is none. Or, if someone asks me to make something, I tell them to give me a deadline. I work well under pressure for crafts. My sister asked me to make a mobile for her new nursery, and I took over a month to sit down one day and just get it done. If she told me to do it in three days, it would have been done LONG before.

I believe in you! Sounds like you're ready to get into it.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 09-27-2013, 02:35 PM

*looks around the thread*