... I have none. Cause I do not judge popularity to teaching quality. XD

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 07-10-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuvrette View Post
... I have none. Cause I do not judge popularity to teaching quality. XD
haha no - definitely doesn't make them a good teacher D:

I sung in this chorus when I was in 10th...or was it my 11th grade year? I sang in the chorus every year...it's called All-County Chorus...the best singers in the county in the highschool level get together for a weekend with a guest conductor and put on a conference. (I also did All-State...same thing but it was the best singers in the state of florida - so it was much bigger than the county level).

Anyway - that year we had this composer named Z. Randall Stroope as our conductor. I was SOOOO excited because the choral music he composes is SO beautiful and profound and gorgeous! We were all super excited to sing under him and meet him.

Until we got there and spent time with him. He was a sexist asshole D: We were all disgusted with him by the time we got out of there D:

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 07-10-2013, 05:08 PM

I know some famous figures in my field, but I am practical to just like their work, not their person. XD lol.
So I am not all that fangirl for famous figures.

M i r o
Comatose

Old 07-10-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria-Minamino View Post
Well in undergrad you had to have 152 credits in my program to graduate. I ended up with 164 in 4 years - so I took 8-11 classes a semester >.<

BUT...with my graduate - it's only 36 credits to graduate - 12 classes.

So it's 2 per semester.

They won't let you take any more than that at a single time. Because you follow their schedule and they sign you up.

And honestly, with teaching full time as well, I wouldn't want to take more than that.
Only fruit, that's a lot! @ . @; I feel for you, Maria!

But yeah, that's probably for the best. People who do more than that always end up deathly sick or in the hospital. No ones a machine. Though, in Russia school is free. And you can get a job while still going to school for the career you're going for. That, I find is not fair. But they have a poor country and living there is crap.
Quote:
... no such system in my university.
Certain teachers only teach certain class/subject. You can't run away from them. XD
Quote:
That's me with the music stuff XD There aren't enough music teachers for me to switch them XD
Wow, that is just nonsense. That's restricting your right to variety and options.
Do you have to let your adviser control your guys-es classes in your Universities?

I don't use an adviser. I ignored him after he signed me up for the first couple of my classes. Though, he's not a person who wants to help anyway.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal
Send a message via Yahoo to Shadami

Old 07-10-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
That's like me - I've had professors who are well known through the world as composers and performers. And some who are very well known in the music education field~! I feel very lucky!
yay for us! learning from the awesomes

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 07-10-2013, 05:27 PM

I am not sure. But culture here, we don't tend to choose teachers or kick teacher out just like that. We can voice opinion, but it won't take immediate action. The action would be take AFTER the term ends.

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 07-10-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I know some famous figures in my field, but I am practical to just like their work, not their person. XD lol.
So I am not all that fangirl for famous figures.
That is smart XD

---------- Post added 07-10-2013 at 05:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by M i r o View Post
Only fruit, that's a lot! @ . @; I feel for you, Maria!

But yeah, that's probably for the best. People who do more than that always end up deathly sick or in the hospital. No ones a machine. Though, in Russia school is free. And you can get a job while still going to school for the career you're going for. That, I find is not fair. But they have a poor country and living there is crap.

Wow, that is just nonsense. That's restricting your right to variety and options.
Do you have to let your adviser control your guys-es classes in your Universities?

I don't use an adviser. I ignored him after he signed me up for the first couple of my classes. Though, he's not a person who wants to help anyway.
I had a bad experience with my undergrad advisor. They told me at orientation...the first day of orientation...to ONLY go to the music advisor. Because he knew the music program..and the regular advisor that gets assigned to you does not. So only make appointments with the music advisor.

So that's what I did. I followed the program to a T and went to him and he told me, "yes, that's right. blahblahblah."

Well, at my school we had to have so many classes that counted towards the "gordon rule" which is the amount of writing you do in college. And my music advisor told me my music history 2 class counted for that credit. When i filed for my graduation they all of a sudden told me I couldn't graduate because that class did NOT count.

And I said, "Well my music advisor said it did!" and they go, "THe music advisor shouldn't be giving advise about things that aren't music related! You should have listened to your regular advisor!" Which went against EVERYTHING they told me on DAY ONE OF ORIENTATION.

So instead of graduating in May like I was supposed to and worked my butt off to do (seriously - music ed is at least a 5 year degree and I did it in 4!!!)...I graduated in August of that year instead. Which caused me to not be allowed to apply for teaching jobs until August when they were all full at that point. Which then caused me to work fast food for an entire year before I was able to get a job as a teacher >.<

BUT - the grad program I'm in...it's at a different college. And they literally will NOT allow you to sign up for your classes - my advisor is the only one who can sign me up for my classes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadami View Post
yay for us! learning from the awesomes
I love to learn! That's why I decided to go back and get my Masters...because I missed learning!

---------- Post added 07-10-2013 at 05:34 PM ----------

Quote:
I am not sure. But culture here, we don't tend to choose teachers or kick teacher out just like that. We can voice opinion, but it won't take immediate action. The action would be take AFTER the term ends.
That happened to me as well!

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 07-10-2013, 05:37 PM

I am learning, without paying. XD At my own expenses. Currently self learning art and Japanese.

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 07-10-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I am learning, without paying. XD At my own expenses. Currently self learning art and Japanese.
Aw that's good!!

I just like direction with learning I guess XD

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 07-10-2013, 05:46 PM

i'm all pumped to home school Mary. because it will be like getting to learn all over again. xD and i'm going to take her on all kinds of field trips to learn stuff hands on!

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 07-10-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadami View Post
i'm all pumped to home school Mary. because it will be like getting to learn all over again. xD and i'm going to take her on all kinds of field trips to learn stuff hands on!
Aw that will be fun!
Field trips are fuuuun :D

I wish I still went on field trips XD

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 07-10-2013, 05:54 PM

Homeschool would be fun! But lacking the social part...

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 07-10-2013, 05:59 PM

haha yeah - the social part is what I would have missed had I been home schooled!

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 07-10-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Aw that will be fun!

take your kids on field trips!

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 07-10-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummy View Post

take your kids on field trips!
That's hard to do as a music teacher with 600 kids >.<

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 07-10-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
That's hard to do as a music teacher with 600 kids >.<

take a few classes at a time
like the good kids
and have help

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 07-10-2013, 06:18 PM

Take turns. then you will have weekly trips to differnt places. In few years time, you could already claim that you been to ALL gardens of America! XD

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 07-10-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Aw that will be fun!

field trips don't exist in my school district anymore.

Quote:
Homeschool would be fun! But lacking the social part...
The social part can still be gotten even while home schooling.

Jeannesha
Lost in a cloud

Penpal

Old 07-10-2013, 08:39 PM

We never did field trips in North Dakota.

One time before we moved when we lived in Detroit, our grade school went to the Symphony. I still remember that!

spicedroses
(^._.^)ノ
Penpal

Old 07-10-2013, 08:40 PM

Never mind me, just wandering around, looking for stuff to do,

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 07-10-2013, 08:53 PM

you have an avatar contest right? cause i'm entering all of the contests i can :D for fun!

Seiki Nova
Wishing on Shooting Stars

Old 07-10-2013, 09:07 PM

Allo allo.

Jeannesha
Lost in a cloud

Penpal

Old 07-10-2013, 09:16 PM

I should think about the avie contests...

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 07-10-2013, 09:19 PM

Hi seiki :] nice to see you online.

M i r o
Comatose

Old 07-10-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
... That's horrible.
Quote:
That is smart XD

I had a bad experience with my undergrad advisor. They told me at orientation...the first day of orientation...to ONLY go to the music advisor. Because he knew the music program..and the regular advisor that gets assigned to you does not. So only make appointments with the music advisor.

So that's what I did. I followed the program to a T and went to him and he told me, "yes, that's right. blahblahblah."

Well, at my school we had to have so many classes that counted towards the "gordon rule" which is the amount of writing you do in college. And my music advisor told me my music history 2 class counted for that credit. When i filed for my graduation they all of a sudden told me I couldn't graduate because that class did NOT count.

And I said, "Well my music advisor said it did!" and they go, "THe music advisor shouldn't be giving advise about things that aren't music related! You should have listened to your regular advisor!" Which went against EVERYTHING they told me on DAY ONE OF ORIENTATION.

So instead of graduating in May like I was supposed to and worked my butt off to do (seriously - music ed is at least a 5 year degree and I did it in 4!!!)...I graduated in August of that year instead. Which caused me to not be allowed to apply for teaching jobs until August when they were all full at that point. Which then caused me to work fast food for an entire year before I was able to get a job as a teacher >.<

BUT - the grad program I'm in...it's at a different college. And they literally will NOT allow you to sign up for your classes - my advisor is the only one who can sign me up for my classes[COLOR="lightseagreen"]
... I think the people that work there like to screw everyone up. I've had to change my Major after I noticed my adviser put me down as "Applied Science" which doesn't transfer to anything. Then, I also took classes that I didn't have to take in the first place and had nothing to do with my degree... - . - I lost a bit of tuition because of that. I ended up not having enough for this last semester but my mom helped me get my books.

I had to recently change my degree again so that I could graduate this Fall. The old degree for Business Administration had a ton of math courses to do and it was ridiculous! My adviser wouldn't even fix it for me without me coming in person. He said he didn't want to be reliable even if we did it over the phone. Which is b.s. because my mom did hers over the phone all the time... but whatever.

But yes. You have to watch out for that. They like to sign you up for non-transferable credits, and make you take courses that you don't need to take. That can hurt because of the money either you're spending or the scholarships you've earned will be eaten away by those mistakes.

Though, I'm happy for you that you're almost done (almost) and are taking the ones you need. I guess as long as your adviser signs you up for the right classes, then that's good. I still don't think it's right that you can't control doing it yourself. It's not like they're taking the classes for you.