xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 06-02-2013, 03:25 AM

I thought videogame is a completely different major?

TheEmpressofEvil
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-02-2013, 03:47 AM

it depends at some schools. It typically is or should be because there's just so many classes you have to take that are so specific to video games. But some of the classes can overlap too. I don't think its bad at all for artists to learn 3d modeling. Probably not flash.. flash is on its way out... but 3d modeling can come in handy for most people. Especially instillation artist. Megan Geckler she designs all her work in a 3d program before going to set it up.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-02-2013, 05:05 AM

A videogame is a piece of art in a way. It takes 3D models, which are art, it takes color, art again, and it takes skill, just like art does. I mean if you make a 3D clay figure that's art right? Same thing.

TheEmpressofEvil
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-02-2013, 05:28 AM

you'd be surprised how separate things are kept :/

I had to really fight to get my digital 3d modeling class done at community college to count for an extremely low level intro to 3d class. The department chair argued that its because I didn't physically touch materials with my hands. And I basically said "wtf did I move verticies in a digital cartesean system with my feet? or I know..I jedi mind tricked it into existence." that pissed her off but I didn't stop there. I told her, "you know.. if you asked someone to create a still life, that person would have their choice of colored pencils, chalk pastes, oil pastels, tempura, oil paint, and so much more and they'd all be considered a still life. You ask students to learn how to make something 3d. Why should a student's choice of tool to make that sculpture be any different? I still hold a pen stylus, I still have a canvas to work with." and that just made her more angry. I ended up needing to talk to the chancellor of the school to get out of a 4 hour twice a week low level class that would have had me folding paper and bending wire.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-02-2013, 05:36 AM

*facepalm*
I mean can they really claim that this isn't a piece of art?

They simply have a special tool for it. It's no different than photoshop or anything else.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 06-02-2013, 05:52 AM

My definition of art is pretty broad.
Mostly anything that create from ideas or hand are art to me.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-02-2013, 05:57 AM

@ meave - That's because art itself is broad isn't it?

TheEmpressofEvil
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-02-2013, 05:57 AM

your definition is the same one I have. All thee boundaries and animosity annoy me.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-02-2013, 06:01 AM

I mean if you think about it even nature and poetry are art.

TheEmpressofEvil
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-02-2013, 05:10 PM

At my school.. art is divided into thirds. There's Fine Arts, Crafts, and Graphid Design. They all hate each other. Well, except design.. design likes the other two but the other two are so downright nasty, belittling, and dismissive that design just doesn't care anymore.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-02-2013, 07:03 PM

My partner is a Fine Arts type person and she's pretty much accepting of all art. I know eventually I'll be teaching her how to do 3D modeling one day as well.

Flowery Pit
Come fall into my abyss

Old 06-02-2013, 09:02 PM

Yeah, I know. I was really excited to be surrounded by other artists, and be challenged, see great designers but a lot of the people in my major aren't artists.

I know that sounds mean, and it sounds like I'm judging them as I sit on this golden stool of being an "artist". There are different kinds of artists. Musicians, Dancers.. Art can take any form.

But these people in my major who want to take the path of character modeling are getting angry that they have to take like figure drawing or perspective classes and anything else that is 2D. They think it's stupid and useless. It's just mind boggling that they are attending an art school and they are dissing..art.

It just makes me upset because I as much as I like digital, I think traditional is still very important.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-02-2013, 09:18 PM

If they have such an issue with doing 2d art, then they can draw the 3d wireframe on paper =.=

Traditional is very important. So many people abandon it but, a child will learn to use a paintbrush much sooner than a mouse... I hope.

TheEmpressofEvil
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-02-2013, 09:45 PM

I think traditional is important, especially figure drawing. That is essential for character modelors.

But I fought like crazy to get our of "hands-on" intro to 3d. Where you had to fold paper or bend wire or mold clay. I just didnt want to do it. I'll play with charcoal, I'll paint, I'll do most anything else they ask me to do.. but I was not about to spend 16 weeks bending wire to just BS my way through some class.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-02-2013, 10:25 PM

Wire bending can make some great art... but truthfully if you aren't planning to do it for a hobby or a living it's not really efficient to learn.

TheEmpressofEvil
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-02-2013, 11:23 PM

And I really am not planning on making a living with wire bending or wire sculpture or wire anything unless its a wireframe mesh in maya or something... >.<

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 06-03-2013, 05:59 AM

My definition of art extends to forbidden boundary of 'sexual' and crimes.
Morally, I am against the crimes. But when I see the way they plan the strategies and execute it when every part of the strategies click together... I am just... wow. O__O Technical wise, I am impress.

I actually support hands on experience before using digital. Everyone of my lecturer said that, hand drawn sketches are always beautiful, because it express your original raw idea. They also said something about hand on art helps your brain think. It seems like, the sketchier the stuff, the more likely we are adaptable to changes. Compare to the nice computer art quality, which makes it look so final and beautiful, you would more likely not wanting to change it.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-03-2013, 06:05 AM

I don't agree with hands on before digital with 3D modeling because it is so differen't but knowing how art tools like photoshop can make the learning process much faster, thus knowing 2D can make for an easier learning of 3D... because after all, you still have to "paint" your model with a brush.

But for a technologically adept person it's not required.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 06-03-2013, 06:53 AM

Well, If that is your perspective, I would regard 2D art as different as well. Using mouse and tablet are also different. The art tools in photoshop has more effects that traditional cannot be done. Digital and Traditional are just so different in approach, the only thing they have in common is the art style, colours, shapes, proportions...etc, as in the outcome.

Workflow is different, fundamentally, I think understanding how the material/item works is important to all kinds of art. So far as I observe, the more I know about how a certain item characteristic and reaction, the better the art outcome looks. If the 2D or 3D art is about something in real life, I think hands on experience is rather important.

Of course, if your topic are all sci fi and fantasy, everything defying the science, then hands on may not be important, as it might limit your creativity when you are bound to a certain limitation of science. Though some people use the advantage of understanding the rules to break them... different approach.

I think modelling clay is a good practice for 3D though. I have always wanted to make my own cup for pottery. Hard to find the studio.

So far, the 3D I done are only texture mapping, I didn't venture in 'painting' on model with brush.

Flowery Pit
Come fall into my abyss

Old 06-03-2013, 06:58 AM

I think it depends more on the person of their skills and comfort to start on a piece of work. You can sketch digitially too. I usually start digital because I like using colors right off the bat.

3D modeling is a lot different though. Hand-on stuff works more like..giving the artist knowledge of how things work. Whatever we learn on paper, we can take it into the program because we know how fish eye works now. Something like that.

I think that's where a lot of people fall off because when they are give to work on charcoal to draw a model, they just think of the charcoal is annoying and not understanding how the body moves.

I don't think it's required to learn hands-on before digital, but I think hands on is important to learn as an artist.

But I've learned that you shouldn't be attached to your work in any medium (especially in the workforce).

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-03-2013, 06:10 PM

Well the reason I know 3D Design is a different form of art is because I'm quite capable of it, however on the other side I barely pass art classes.
What I do for modeling is no longer done on paper. If it was then it would still be a good way to learn.

I didn't like charcoal because it made a huge mess... if it were encased instead of just little strips I would have been far more interested in it...

I'm actually planning on learning painting someday now that I have the basics of creativity though. So I guess I'm just going backwards

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 06-03-2013, 06:16 PM

You can improve in any skills if you spend enough time on it.
There are talent, but generally, the longer you learn it the better you will be.
It is not like everyone can draw realism in their first try.

Every medium require different set of skills. If you are interested in it, naturally you would be more motivated to learn it. Compare to things you don't like.

About charcoal. Not just charcoal, actually, many of the traditional mediums are all messy in my hands. D:
I bought something called Charcoal pencil though... but there are certain 'stunt' that the pencil cannot achieve with the strips of charcoal.

maybe wear some gloves? x.x
But for me, it won't work. Still messy.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-03-2013, 06:20 PM

Some skills take a teacher to learn in my case. I don't really know how to learn traditional art.

Swiping the side right? I did that a few times.

Charcoal gets everywhere... face, cloths, it makes a dust that gets on everything...

Flowery Pit
Come fall into my abyss

Old 06-03-2013, 07:21 PM

Well, gloves wouldn't work for charcoal, because you need your fingers to blend it and manipulate it. Something about the ridges in your fingers where a glove is smooth.

Usually, when I work with charcoal, I just wear an full-apron (chest to knees), like one you can get at a hobby shop so, it won't ruin my clothes. It's useful to wipe your hands on it too.

Between the pencil and sticks. The charcoal pencil is used to draw the outside edges of..whatever you're drawing. It depends how its sharpened too. It can be used to help make shapes sharper/darker. The stick is more for creating the value and negative space.

But than, I've used charcoal vine and..that was weird. There's so many different types of charcoals. It can be annoying to figure out which one you need for the first day of class. Just going in the art store, there is a wall dedicated to charcoals. It's awful.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-03-2013, 07:38 PM

I have a charcoal sharpener myself, used very soft sandpaper :)

We got stuck with one and only one type of charcoal... we had 2 but they never taught us what the other one was for.