Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 03-01-2016, 11:12 PM

Yus, very true~

A Patty's day or Easter thinger would be neat. I'm conflicted because they're good things to do, but I still remember the stress it can cause because around this time it's a bunch of holidays/events one after the other.

What?! A sale! My B&N didn't do that.
That comic is too pretty for digital-only.

M i r o
Comatose

Old 03-01-2016, 11:34 PM

ah, well, they don't do much for them anymore.
I think the events are easier now they've cut back on the quality all around???

They can even give users more freedom to do them instead of Mods/Admins.
The users are on more than they are nowadays xD

Then all they have to focus on is releasing event items (if there are any)?

Yes! It was a bit sneaky.
You have to check on their site (if you are not email subscribed), to see if there are any coupons released.

Then all you have to do is print'em off and use'em in store ~
I think peeps who pay for membership at B&N get 10% off books all the time?

Yessums <3
But I prefer the actual book to somethings

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 03-02-2016, 11:22 AM

I spend moneh on ART SUPPLIES! <33

Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 03-03-2016, 12:08 PM

Hey, Ikuto! I'll try to pop in here when I can. Glad to see you back on Mene, too! (Not that I've been on consistently myself. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by M i r o View Post
I have a question - are all the translations here : Time-specific actions | Learn Japanese
correct???

I want to find the lists that translates writing
"love"
"cute"
"joy"

and for the closed black brackets, are those just showing how you write them?

---------- Post added 02-26-2016 at 02:05 PM ----------

fe: 今 【いま】 - now
do you just write the first part or both together with the brackets?
Tae-Kim's guide is quite good and accurate. But remember that with any word probably has multiple meanings and ways they can be used. They also probably won't translate exactly from Japanese to English or vice versa. Context is also important to keep in mind to get the best translation.

PS - the brackets are showing how to read the kanji symbols on the left. You would read "今" as "いま", which is written "ima" in Rōmaji (aka "Roman characters", like the alphabet we use in English). However, keep in mind that the pronunciation is different. "Ima", for example, would sound like "ee-ma". Look at some text for native speakers (try comparing some Wikipedia articles in English and Japanese) and you might get a feel for how Japanese is written. I'd start with learning hiragana and katakana right away if you're a beginner.

As for the words in question, how do you plan to use them? "Love", "Cute", and "Joy" all have a variety of meanings. Do you want them all to be nouns? In that case "Cuteness" would be better to make them consistent.

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 03-03-2016, 03:20 PM

I wonder when the next Menewsha event will be and for what holiday

M i r o
Comatose

Old 03-04-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferra View Post
Hey, Ikuto! I'll try to pop in here when I can. Glad to see you back on Mene, too! (Not that I've been on consistently myself. )

Tae-Kim's guide is quite good and accurate. But remember that with any word probably has multiple meanings and ways they can be used. They also probably won't translate exactly from Japanese to English or vice versa. Context is also important to keep in mind to get the best translation.

PS - the brackets are showing how to read the kanji symbols on the left. You would read "今" as "いま", which is written "ima" in Rōmaji (aka "Roman characters", like the alphabet we use in English). However, keep in mind that the pronunciation is different. "Ima", for example, would sound like "ee-ma". Look at some text for native speakers (try comparing some Wikipedia articles in English and Japanese) and you might get a feel for how Japanese is written. I'd start with learning hiragana and katakana right away if you're a beginner.

As for the words in question, how do you plan to use them? "Love", "Cute", and "Joy" all have a variety of meanings. Do you want them all to be nouns? In that case "Cuteness" would be better to make them consistent.
Ferraaa! Thank you ~

I want to use them just representing the words.
Like the tama neko that represents "luck" or "lucky" on its golden coin. ^^ I'm not using them to be directed at anyone.

fe: Click on thumbnail for full view
Like this but not grouped together, just the solo kanji for the words.

like these: Japanese Hieroglyph Vector Set. 25 Popular Hieroglyphics And Their Translation. - 306334238 : Shutterstock

I'm not sure if the kanji/symbols are correct for them so I don't really want to reference them.

Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 03-04-2016, 09:29 PM

@Miro: If you just want to use individual kanji, then you're probably better off checking the meaning in Chinese. Japanese doesn't usually use kanji solo like that. Most of the time they are used in conjunction with what's called "okurigana" to finish a word or you need to use a few kanji combined to make a word. Only a handful of concepts work well standing-alone as a single Japanese kanji and I think most were taken directly from Chinese.

Fortunately "love" does have stand-alone kanji that would be easily recognized by anyone in Japan. Love is "愛" (read as "Ai"). Joy is trickier because you normally write it with the okurigana. I've never seen the kanji standing alone being used as a word. But in any case "喜び" (yorokobi) is the word you're looking for. Cute requires at least two kanji and okurigana to correctly write the word, but often people don't even write it in kanji. Still, "可愛い" (kawaii) is the word you're looking for. Notice that the first kanji does not mean "cute" (it means "possible") and the second kanji means "love". Most word compounds are like this: they don't have the same meaning when separated as when combined.

Sorry if that's not the answer you're looking for, but I would caution against using kanji until you know a bit more how they function in Japanese language. "Tama Neko" also isn't the name for lucky cats, they're called "maneki neko", which means "beckoning cat" which is based on an old legend. The coins they carry also don't usually have "luck" written on them in Japan (Chinese versions differ). The Japanese versions usually carry a large gold coin that says "千万両" (sen-man-ryō) which was a huge amount of money back in olden times.

By all means play around with the language (that's how we learn!) but I'd recommend starting with basic grammar and hiragana/katana before jumping to kanji.

M i r o
Comatose

Old 03-04-2016, 10:05 PM

Okedokeys. I knew Japanese would be denser than Chinese symbols or at least from what I've noticed reading subtitles.
But regardless, thank for taking your time in explaining the differences between the two. I understand better of it

It will require a lot of playing around with it to get it xD
I really love that part of the manekis! I didn't know they had different versions.

&& Sorry, I just wrote out tama without thinking \ o /
Had to go to the store, so I typed that out pretty quickly,

I'm glad you were willing to help me out!

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 03-05-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
ah, well, they don't do much for them anymore.
I think the events are easier now they've cut back on the quality all around???

They can even give users more freedom to do them instead of Mods/Admins.
The users are on more than they are nowadays xD

Then all they have to focus on is releasing event items (if there are any)?

Yes! It was a bit sneaky.
You have to check on their site (if you are not email subscribed), to see if there are any coupons released.

Then all you have to do is print'em off and use'em in store ~
I think peeps who pay for membership at B&N get 10% off books all the time?

Yessums <3
But I prefer the actual book to somethings
Ooh~ I was around for the Winter and VDay ones, but not for very long; so I only saw a little bit. Winter one seemed like the usual though. But I dunnooo~

>:0! Tricksy B&N! I think I get emails from them, but I get so many in general that I usually just delete them. I'll have to keep an eye out for deals though.

I do have membership th-ere, so I get the 10% off.

I'm trying to cut back on my physical book buying. I have so many books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuvrette View Post
I spend moneh on ART SUPPLIES! <33
That's a good thing to spend it on!
I need to start my painting back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvete View Post
I wonder when the next Menewsha event will be and for what holiday
What if it's .... random event! Unrelated to any holiday! Oooo000o0oo mysteryy~

--
Ferraaa~
Thanks for stopping by and giving some insight~

M i r o
Comatose

Old 03-06-2016, 09:23 PM

I found this amazing book @ b&n today: The Kodansha Kanji Usage Guide: An A to Z of Kun Homophones by Oxford University Press | 9781568365596 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble

Its sooo easy to understand and see the strokes of kanji :D
We didnt buy it, though. I want to see if its on Play Google.

But the paper of the book is soooo soft

@ iku; Yeah, I think they're copy/pasting the coding from the spiffy events.
I do like that they brought it back, it feels less ordinary? xD

I'd be fine with no items/eis for events now wishy has retired doing them.
Would make events less stressful and just focus on fun & games

Yessums! A lot of stores do that.
I wish they all gave a 40% off coupon every week like Hobby Lobby.

Oooo, congrats! How much is a b&n membership?

I understand xD

I have too many books too. Our bookshelf is busting at the seams. I think it was like that before me.
But it doesnt even have half of my book collection on it. Lol I keep books I like to re-read on the shelf while the others are tucked away.

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 03-11-2016, 02:02 AM

M i r o: Ooooh, boooook~ I have tooo many Japanese-related books. I really need to uh.... get rid of some.

Yus, the coding makes it look nice and spiffy!

Hobby Lobby does 40% off every week!? XD Miro, you're teaching me so much!

I think the B&N membership waaas..... $25! Not toooo bad if you buy enough to cover that, but then again, B&N is more on the pricey-side.

Since I just moved, I'm really trying to downgrade how much stuff I have. Not just books, but furniture too. If I can lose enough books, I can get rid of one of the bookshelves. * -*

M i r o
Comatose

Old 03-12-2016, 02:59 AM

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa:

lol I bet if I was more obssessed, I would too.

You're welcome!
You can get it always here: Hobby Lobby Arts & Crafts Stores

Click "Get Coupon" - it hovers over the dashboard.
It's 40% off one regularly priced item - every week.

There's also a 40% off one regularly priced item at Michaels right now: Michaels Craft Stores - Art Supplies & Custom Framing | Michaels
I'm not sure if they have it every week like Hobby Lobby, though.

ah, yeah it's still 5$ off.
I'm kinda holding out until I can get it for less than $20 xD

Ohboy... how many bookshelves do you have, Iku???
We only have the 1 and I want to replace it with those nice wooden bookshelves that look like it belongs in a Britain library

The main space problem we have is my sweethearts video games.
He doesn't use his Game Cube AT ALL and there's sooo many games he has for it.

I keep telling him to get rid of them, especially since he recently got the Xbox One for Christmas.

Last edited by M i r o; 03-12-2016 at 03:01 AM..

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 03-12-2016, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa View Post

What if it's .... random event! Unrelated to any holiday! Oooo000o0oo mysteryy~

Haha I don't mind that! That would be fun

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 03-13-2016, 11:10 PM

@Miro: Woooo savings~ Once I get my office set up it will be nice to get art stuff again and have a place to store supplies all nicely.

Uhhhh, not that many bookshelves. I had 2 and a half at one point, but one bookshelf was cheap and in one of my moves, it tore in half. Actually thinking I'll get rid of that one so I just have 1 and a half.
Wooden bookshelves from Britain library? You have to show me what you mean because I dunnooo~

Oohh, my ex is like that. Loves stuff. He had like ... 3 or 4 shelves for his stuff, but that included books, comics, movies, and games. I mostly just have books. Cut my manga collection in half 2 moves ago, but I think I'll cut it even more once I find the box they're in. Can you put his games in a box and just store them somewhere?

@Salv: Do you usually do anything for these upcoming holidays?

M i r o
Comatose

Old 03-17-2016, 08:23 PM

yes it would be affordable!
ah, okedokeys. Still more room than ours it seems p:

Oh, the apt isn't as big as regular apts should be - to me anyway.
Just one big space that can't even be called a living room shares space with the non-existent dining area.

But he got a big gaming metal entertainment rack? It serves as the TV/Console/Video game stand.
Consoles are on the bottom rack. TV is on the middle rack and the 2 racks above are movies/video games (literally no room).

The bookshelf consists of his comic books, history books, misc books on 2 shelves and mine at the top.
The extra hidden closet is already full with his swords/misc, the rest of my books and other misc things.

Sorry!! I think my brain went to sleep there, lol
Like this: Victorian Bookcase - Antiques Atlas

I want a Victorian bookcase but taller (almost to the ceiling) with thick wooden trim around the glass with a lock & key.

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 03-22-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa View Post
@Salv: Do you usually do anything for these upcoming holidays?
I used to celebrate Easter by decorating with springtime stuff, plastic easter eggs, and fake grass. But that was until a few years ago. Right now I'm actually wondering if I should give away all of my easter eggs because I have a lot of them, and well, I guess I am getting more and more adultlike now.

M i r o
Comatose

Old 03-23-2016, 08:16 PM

awh

If there are eggs you really like and want to keep, then separate them from the ones you don't want?
That way you won't regret giving away something you really want to keep ^^

I wish I could decorate for the holidays. Pinterest has so many nice things to do ~

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 03-26-2016, 10:59 PM

Miro, thank you for the suggestion. A few hours ago, actually, I went through all the plastic eggs I could find and picked out a few to keep. But I am planning to give away the majority of them. I posted some photos over in my Hobbies and Crafts thread *nods* although it's just photos of plastic eggs, haha. Nothing too special.

M i r o
Comatose

Old 04-01-2016, 06:42 PM

np - but well, even the littlest things have value/meaning. p:
ooo, I will go travel over there soon to see'em <3

I never collected anything for Easter, really.
There was only one time where my step dad filled plastic eggs with money and we all went outside to find them.

Having a lot of loose change is annoying, lol
I don't remember what I did with the money.

M i r o
Comatose

Old 05-09-2016, 06:55 PM

Is Iku disappeared/busy again? xD

MoodyBats
Scarce Menewshan

Old 05-10-2016, 10:12 AM

Seems like it.
But we shall Keep Iku's thread nice and warm for when he returns.

M i r o
Comatose

Old 05-10-2016, 03:45 PM

Hiya, Fuu!
yes ~ I don't wanna see this thread disappear u wu

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-10-2016, 04:49 PM

I completely forgot about Hangout. DX

MoodyBats
Scarce Menewshan

Old 05-10-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Hiya, Fuu!
yes ~ I don't wanna see this thread disappear u wu
Me neither!
I really enjoy being in this thread.
I've come into this thread for a long time[or it feels like a long time].

M i r o
Comatose

Old 05-10-2016, 05:32 PM

@ xu; fooorrr shaame D:

I wonder if I write out some short sentences if anyone would translate them to chinese/japanese? lol
Or at least fix my attempts at making them

@ fuu; from when it first opened???
yeah, its nice to have frequent places to go to.

I especially like this thread because I love asian culture