`Rockstar
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 09-13-2013, 06:46 PM

I'm writing a paper for one of my criminal justice classes, but I need to conduct a survey on some type of controversial criminal justice-related concern. I'm avoiding the death penalty because everyone always writes about it anyway, and instead focusing on the acceptability of lying to suspects during the questioning/interrogation process.

(If you don't know a lot about the subject, you may want to check out these two (one , two) fairly short articles, because they may be able to help you develop some background information.)

Essentially, I would really appreciate it if you guys wouldn't mind taking a few minutes out of your day to talk about if police should be allowed to lie to suspects during the interrogation / questioning process, and why or why not?

And if you wouldn't mind including your age and current occupation for this study, that would be really helpful. (:

Thanks mene ; u;

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 09-14-2013, 05:11 AM

I say that police should be allowed to, though I suppose it would depend on how deceitful and painful the lie is to say if it is moral or a good thing to do. Sometimes you have to work in the gray area if you want results. That's what I think anyway. Sometimes you would never get something out of a suspect if the cop didn't lie. But I don't think that lying should be the first option used.
I'm 22 and I'm an art student.

I hope I was a little helpful.

Risque
bing chilling

Old 09-14-2013, 07:10 PM

So the way it works right now if that you can't use shady tactics like coercion, right?

Lying in a way that heavily implies guilt is pretty cheap though, and should only be used in a manner to gauge a reaction rather than to provoke a confession.

I'm 20 and I scan papers.

RoadToGallifrey
When life gives you melons, make...
Penpal

Old 09-14-2013, 07:37 PM

I think it's highly dependent on the lie to be honest. The ethics argument on psychological experiments should be applied to this too, if the lie is going to cause the prisoner lasting emotional damage then no it shouldn't be done. However if it's a little white lie that you use to test the waters or corroborate the persons story then by all means go ahead. Also, lying should definitely not be used to blackmail the prisoner into confession.

I'm an 18 year old Sociology student.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 09-15-2013, 11:28 PM

Hmmmm this is a tough one, but I'd have to say that, as long as good ethics are in play, lying in order to get the prisoner to trip up on their own lies is acceptable in my book. Lying to the point of bullying is not OK. Lying in any way that will forever harm the prisoner psychologically is also not acceptable. However, small lies in order to poke the holes in another's story are just a tool at a police officers disposal.

Age 26, Software Test Technician.

LaVida
On Semi-Hiatus
Penpal

Old 12-05-2013, 09:52 AM

Well, I think this really depends on the person that looks at it and which side it is that you are standing on. If you were a victim of the crime committed you probably wouldn't mind the lying while the suspect probably would. Overall, I'm going to go with the research concept of "lie if it's necessary, but tell them the truth at the earliest possible time". So, like, after the case is all finished and stuff, tell them the truth. I know that police and people related to the lies may be in danger, but say that if the person lied to needs to blame someone, blame me and me only. Think about it this way, if participants of a research never got lied to, what would have happened to the placebo pill or quite a few of the things we know to this day?

As an afterthought, those that have family or people that they care about may be less likely to lie or get into dangerous situations because they don't want to drag the people they care about into those situations.

EDIT: hope this wasn't too late XD

jupiter
inactive account

Old 12-17-2014, 07:22 AM

It's a bit late, but hey.

I don't feel police should be able to lie during police interrogations, no. On a personal level, it just gives me the impression that the police are incapable of differentiating a lie for their work and a lie in their life; a little lie here, a little lie there, a little covering up evidence here, a little coercion there. It might sound like a slippery slope, but that's essentially what the police are lying for; to coerce someone into confession to a crime they did or did not commit. There's this incident where a court threw out a confession because the policed told a suspect they would lose their government benefits if they didn't make the confession. It would be too much of a burden for society, and the courts, to have to decide the merits of each lie a policeman made. Is this lie too much, what's that threshold? What counts as a 'white' lie and what's too far?
We don't have the Innocence Project for shits and giggles.

So no, I don't think they should be able to lie, period.

25, law student.

JadaRyl
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-26-2015, 11:54 AM

Also rather late, but it really depends on the lie. Lying to develop a rapport or seem sympathetic enough that a suspect will confide in you is acceptable but a lie that could be construed as coercion is not. But a lie should be the last resort in any case.

monstahh`
faerie graveyard

Old 06-07-2015, 12:11 AM

I think they should be able to lie, at least to some degree, however, I feel I feel that the suspect should be made aware of it. perhaps altering the Miranda rights'?

"You are aware that police may utilize different tactics to ascertain the truth"
vague, but hopefully no one's mind goes to torture because that is unacceptable

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 08-02-2015, 04:44 PM

Something I recently learned makes me learn towards no. By lying it would increase the number of falsely accused individuals.
In this article, I may try to find a better one later on, it states that they can basically brainwash you with vaguely speaking and lies. Meaning they could get you to admit to committing a crime that never happened.

Additionally as of late some police are having problems controlling the power they already have. Yes, many officers are able to maintain the law. But as we know from the news we have plenty of already corrupt cops. Those are the ones that would use tactics such as above to get someone to confess.