Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-20-2013, 05:58 AM

Have you ever done it? Studied gen ed while you tried to figure out what to major in in the first place? Do you wish you had done it?

I'm a psych major and have always been pretty firm in that. But this past week a string of events is making me wonder if I ought to consider literature. My lit teacher asked me out of the blue if I was majoring in lit because of how "insightful" my comments in class were, and he wrote on one of my papers that I ought to continue editing it because he thinks it's worthy of being published in an academic journal. You sure know how to make a girl blush, professor. It's been a bit of a daydream of mine to be a librarian, and I think that's something I could do with a lit degree (correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't done much research on it yet)... But it just seems like so much less of a steady field than psychology! It's something I'm going to need to think about for a good long while, and devote plenty of research to. But in the mean time, I want to hear your stories about flip-flopping about majors!

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 09-20-2013, 09:06 AM

I had a loose idea of what I wanted to major in when I graduated high school and went through the Air Force: also psychology. I knew it was a tough field though and just took those basic classes while I figured it out. Eventually I abandoned the idea and tried Illustration. I enjoyed it but it was just too dang expensive. That and I just didn't have the confidence really for it. I realized that I'd rather keep it as a hobby and enjoyable than making it something I have to live off of and may end up not enjoying. D;

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-22-2013, 03:18 AM

At my first college, I literally picked my major the semester I wanted to graduate. I thought it'd be smart to get an Associates Degree before I transferred schools, since things might transfer more smoothly that way (they did!). I sat down with my adviser before choosing for the second semester of my second year, asked what I needed to graduate and with what degree (after taking tons of random classes, focusing heavily on science and english courses). I just needed psychology and sociology then three more electives for a Liberal Arts degree. Ok!

I ended up getting an award for the highest GPA in my major when I graduated that semester. I kinda felt bad since I just chose it but... It was nice.

I wish I chose another major with my degree at my next school. I did double majors, but, it would have been wise to perhaps choose one that I could build into a more solid career.

Seridano
Disaster On Legs

Old 09-23-2013, 03:12 AM

When I entered college I was a Criminology/Psychology double major. Not long into my college career, I realized that the current trend in Criminology was local/community policing, which I couldn't have cared a lick about. So, needless to say, I gave it a quick drop and focused on Psychology for a while. Now, I found Psych fascinating, I still do, but for whatever reason, the lessons themselves, or perhaps merely the manner in which they were taught, wasn't doing it for me. I grew bored and complacent, started showing up to about half of my classes, and irked my roommate at the time to no end when I managed to pass tests one after another with little to no effort. Much of what was on them felt a good deal like common sense (social psychology in particular felt like an exercise in learning the proper terminology for things that I already implicitly understood or knew how to deal with). That being said, I'm certain that there were more difficult classes, but I never made it quite that far. Instead, whilst taking a required research writing class, I found what I was missing.

The class that swayed me was heavily discussion based, employing bits of psychology, in depth analysis, personal experience, you name it, and I was hooked. The professor teaching the class in question was an interesting sort, committed to what I will call 'true learning' rather than mere regurgitation of facts. He wanted to us to think, to reason, to feel, to connect the pieces. After that class, I took another lit course, used it to fill a free elective spot. Found much the same: in depth discussions, moments rife with meaning and snippets of what I can only describe as breath taking clarity - it was the field for me.

A critical theory class later on served to draw me that much deeper. There's a certain beauty to be found in language, and another to be found in understanding, and when they meet, the world sighs. I imagine this sound like a nice bit of overly poetic rubbish, but that's truly how I felt.

I suppose what I'm saying is this: If you have a gut feeling, if something calls to you, it's worth looking into. Statistically speaking, the average undergrad changes their major 2 to 3 times, and the vast majority of them still manage to graduate on time or close to it.

As for being a librarian...unfortunately, a Lit/English degree doesn't actually enable you to do that. It's a surprisingly sought after profession and it requires a degree in Information/Library Sciences which, I believe, is a masters only degree.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-23-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
(social psychology in particular felt like an exercise in learning the proper terminology for things that I already implicitly understood or knew how to deal with
Oh man, you have just described the entirety of my sociology class and about 75% of what I've learned in psychology. Most of the rest of what I've learned in psychology is biology and defunct theories/histories. A little bit of stuff I consider valuable. I'm so interested in psychology, but my classes are just skimming the surface, it's so dull. And like you said, the classes where we're really engaging and discussing are pulling me - and those aren't psych classes.

I knew being a librarian needed a Master's, but I was hoping a bachelor's in lit might qualify me for the master's program. Drat. I don't know what else I could be with a lit major other than a teacher, which I have no desire to be.

Seridano
Disaster On Legs

Old 09-23-2013, 11:46 AM

If I recall correctly, you don't need a particular background to go for a master's in library sciences. A good friend of mine was a music history major as an undergrad and went on to get a lib sci degree. However, I can't imagine that a Lit degree would hurt your chances of getting accepted into such a program. I feel like it shows a certain level of dedication to/respect for literature.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-23-2013, 08:17 PM

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. My school is currently doing a job shadowing program. I'll just put in that I'd like to shadow with an experimental psychologist and a librarian, maybe that will help me figure stuff out. And in the meantime I can research more things to do with a degree in Lit.

Vox
*^_^*

Old 09-24-2013, 10:39 PM

I was a psychology major when I started college! I switched to mathematics after the first semester. The psych program at my school was pretty mediocre, and I didn't really get along with the faculty or the other students in the program, so I decided it must not be for me. I am much happier in the math program, but I am still very interested in psychology, neuroscience in particular. I hold a minor in it currently.

I also switched my concentration last semester (the end of my third year) from math education to discrete mathematics, which thankfully didn't delay my graduation even though it significantly changed my career path for after I graduate.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-24-2013, 11:45 PM

I'm currently in a remedial math class, so I definitely won't be making the choice you did. And neuroscience is the part of my psych classes where I always struggle! But it's good to know I'm not the only one who potentially dropped Psych! Glad to hear you're happier in your current field of study.

Seridano
Disaster On Legs

Old 09-25-2013, 02:22 AM

I'm with you there, Cherry. I am every bit the stereotypical 'English major who is absolutely rummy at math.'

My college had a computerized test that determined which math you ought to take. I scored low enough to have remedial math recommended to me. Never got around to taking it. Instead, I took the statistics course that was required for my at the time major (Psychology). Wish I'd held off until I'd switched majors, as it absolutely ruined what would have been a perfect 4.0.

/sigh

Acobjum
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Penpal

Old 09-25-2013, 02:55 AM

Currently I am working towards earning an AA in General Studies. I am being free as I can with my classes so that I can be sure that I will choose the Bachelor degree just right for me. Currently leaning to Linguistics. I so far have an eye on being a translator and/or private tutor. Is there anyone with experience in those careers who could inform me as to how I should continue with both degree and job contacts?

llonka
Momma to the Crazies!

Penpal

Old 09-25-2013, 04:10 PM

Oh gosh, I've change three times already. First I was a Medical Lab tech major, before I dropped out the first time. Didn't even get any classes done. When I went back, I changed to Nursing. Got through a year of gen ed's, had to drop out again because of my second son being born. In the summer of 08 or 09, I can't remember, I went through a nurse's aide program and got my certificate, but I hated clinicals. That really got me to thinking, that I really didn't want to clean up other peoples body fluids for a living. When I started back this last fall (registered as MLT major), I took English Comp I, and really enjoyed it/did really well. Next semester I took English Comp. II and aced it. I toyed with the idea of Respiratory Therapy, but didn't feel welcome. I got to thinking maybe I should ditch the medical field and try something different. My comp. II instructor told me I was a really strong writer and invited me to take her American Lit. 1 class. Right then in that moment I knew I should change to an English major. The people in the English department have really taken me in and welcomed me. I feel so much more at peace with them than I did with the medical people.

I'm not quite sure what I will do with my AA degree in English, but like I keep telling my dad, who is very upset at me for changing, that it is such a vast field that I can do pretty much anything. I'm thinking about teaching, maybe kindergarten, but would love to teach Grammar. Kansas State University has an online program, we live too far away, to get my BA so I can teach the wee ones. I think I'd love that, I love listening to little ones talk to each other. :3

If you enjoy Lit. then by all means explore it a little more! I say do what you really enjoy and makes you feel at peace.

EDIT: I also was terrible at math. I say "was" because I too had to take remedial math classes. I got the most wonderful teacher ever who made it interesting and super easy to learn. I'm pretty good at it now, though I did horrible on the last test. I'm in College Algebra and sooo very glad this is the last math class I have to take.

Last edited by llonka; 09-25-2013 at 04:20 PM..

Vox
*^_^*

Old 09-28-2013, 05:08 PM

I guess for me, it was sort of like Seri said - the introductory psych courses weren't challenging enough to be of interest to me since most of the concepts were quite intuitive. Neuroscience is where it got interesting for me. On the other hand though, it is biology so there is a lot of memorization involved, from the regions of the brain down to the level of neurotransmitters, and all their functions and processes. That's not for everyone. In fact, it's hard to explain what I like so much about it! I guess that the idea of being able to explain how a person's memories are stored and retrieved, how they make decisions, how they react to stimuli and so on, concretely and physically as a function of nothing but neural impulses is just amazing to me, no matter how many funky neurotransmitter names I have to memorize to do it. :P

I am convinced that most people who say they have always hated math or are terrible at it would probably enjoy it if they had a teacher who took a different approach than the standard lecture. But I am biased, haha!

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-30-2013, 06:06 PM

I started college as an undeclared major just to avoid that problem. ^^; Originally I wanted to go into Art and become an art teacher but the portfolio requirements were very confusing so I sort of gave up on that. Instead I majored in French and minored in Art.

TheEmpressofEvil
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 09-30-2013, 09:22 PM

I've changed my major. It cost me a year to do it but, I just wasn't happy. I went from a BS in Neuroscience to a BFA in graphic design. I was just 1 year from completing the BS too. But, during an internship where I did repetitive experimentation and observation I realized that I wasn't happy. I had become a workaholic because my job, that internship, required it. And from observing my boss I just saw myself becoming what he was. Workaholic with no family, so far detached from the concept of making good in the world that all he cared about was that his name be plastered all over the research. I didn't want to become that. Now, I'm a workaholic but that's because I love what I do and not because some big time professor is hoping for some significant breakthrough and I still believe that good comes from the work I do now.

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 02-03-2014, 05:27 PM

I have changed my major, I used to be an Equine Major, I'm now a Deaf Studies major, and that change over has cost me five years more schooling. O.o

Flowery Pit
Come fall into my abyss

Old 02-05-2014, 11:39 AM

Right now I'm studying Game Design and while I really do love it, sometimes I felt like I should've chosen Visual Development instead. I feel like a lot of the classes I'm taking aren't really leading me where I want to go.

The classes I'm taking are very general and I want to focus more on the artwork of games and more modeling. Switching would cost a lot of money, and I have asked many opinions how do I get to point B. I have gotten answers but I still feel a bit..unhappy. I remember I went to recruiter event, and there were a lot of animators and vis. development students with all their sketch books. They all had the same passion of drawing where I don't get a lot of that energy in Game Design.

I wouldn't switch but it's hard to find people who enjoy drawing oddly enough. I feel a bit alone in my major.

Mika Rose
⊙ω⊙

Old 02-14-2014, 01:57 AM

I actually just began to contemplate changing my major a few weeks ago and am right now about 99% sure that I'm going to go ahead and do so.

Long story short, in high school I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I was one of those teenagers who have no real sense of identity or interests and are constantly going through "phases" and changing their minds about everything, and I didn't begin to break out of that cycle until this year. When senior year came around, I felt a lot of pressure to make a decision about my major.

It was especially difficult for me because I was at the top of my class in all academic subjects and pretty much ALL of my teachers tried to convince me to go into their fields. I ended up more or less forcing myself to go with English Education; I kind of jumped to the conclusion that I really loved English just because it comes very naturally to me and because I like writing. It seemed more practical to me to go for Education rather than straight English.

I spent my first semester at college convincing myself not to question that decision. Now that I look back, I realize that that was mostly because it was comforting to me to feel that I had everything planned out already. Recently I began reevaluating and examining the real reasons that I chose my major, though, and I realized that it had more to do with the fact that it was something with which I was familiar than anything else.

I also discovered two other things this semester: that English is EXTREMELY boring to me when it's the only subject that I have to study, and that I absolutely need a career that isn't too routine and provides plenty of intellectual challenges. I also finally admitted to myself that I've been dreading actually teaching all along. I'm not a social person at all and would most likely have been terrible at it.

So I started researching some of the other career paths and majors that I thought might interest me, one of which was Forensic Science. As I read through some of the information, I realized that it involved pretty much everything I was looking for in a career and that it actually fit perfectly with my personality and strengths.

Unfortunately, the university that I'm attending doesn't have a Forensic Science program; I really would have preferred to transfer to another institution nearby that does, but I have practically a full ride scholarship here so that's not really an option for me. xP Right now I'm thinking that I'll major in Biology and minor in both Chemistry and Criminology and then get my Master's degree specifically in Forensic Science at that other university after I graduate here. I already made up a tentative four-year (or technically three-year, at this point...) plan for what courses I would have to take here, and, fortunately, I should actually be able to fit into three years rather than four easily. I have yet to see my advisor - I've decided to give myself a month to think it over and make sure I'm not just going to change my mind within a matter of weeks - and I'd like to visit the other college and speak with someone in the Forensics department, but I really suspect that I'll stick with this.

For me at least, even just thinking about changing my major has been an extremely liberating experience. It was such a complete relief to finally admit that I hated my first major, and that's what convinced me that I definitely made the correct decision in choosing to explore some other options.

RoadToGallifrey
When life gives you melons, make...
Penpal

Old 02-21-2014, 07:50 AM

I'm really considering changing mine. I love Sociology but half of my modules are psychology which I don't enjoy at all. I'll need to speak to my advisor and see what's best to do about it.

waytodawn
⊙ω⊙

Old 02-25-2014, 03:02 AM

I changed my major once. I had my Associate's Degree in Biology, but I realized I did not want to work in the medical field and I had my family and teachers pushing for me to rethink a Liberal Arts major; I chose to be an English Teacher. The courses are a bit tough and I may not understand the stories we read sometimes, but my professors really help out in the lectures to make us think critically. I'm still a bit iffy, but I don't want to switch majors again. I really think I will be happy doing this, but there is always that, "what if?" /sigh

Darkness Within
Fallen

Old 03-28-2014, 12:01 AM

It was a struggle to decide my major. I begun by taking English and creative writing classes with the intention of majoring in English/literature. This was before I saw a consoler for the first time and was informed that this campus did not have an English/Literature major. So I ended up in Liberal Arts which is basically the clueless major. I received the degree in 2012 and it became obvious that it wasn't gonna get me anywhere so I needed to pick something else.

I've always been pretty decent at finding my way around a PC (Macs I'm still learning), and my mother thought I.T would be something for me solely because of that alone. Plus her boyfriend is an I.T guy (though he wasn't her BF at the time she liked him). I myself knew nothing of the area and imagined it to be interesting and something I could learn. WRONG! I took one class, just ONE, and could not grasp a thing and all the other students had experience. I was by far the biggest moron in the class. So I left it with about a month to spare in the semester. I just wasn't getting anywhere with it.

At this point I was beginning to feel discouraged but the answer has been there in front of me for quite some time. During my exploring phase I'd taken a couple of Graphic Design classes in which I learned my way around photoshop and developed some pretty good skills. Why not go where I have the skill right?

So now I am at another campus going for a Graphic Design AA. Just finished Winter quarter and am wait listed for Spring. I really think this is where I belong and that I can excel in it. I hope I am right. I've been looking for my niche for too long now.

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 12-01-2014, 03:18 AM

I have never officially changed my major. I did take my time deciding, though. I took all different kinds of classes over all the various disciplines to see which ones I enjoyed and which ones I was good at before making my decision. ^_^